Languages!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Allegorie
Projects: SupR.ACTIONHERO
Organization: Nonsense.

Re: Languages!

#166 Post by Allegorie »

Meeeeh... Nobody likes French here :'(
I'm French, but estimate I speak enough English to make me understand.

But in fact, French is a difficult language, yep, but soooooo gorgeous.
Love me guys
biz

Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

#167 Post by Banya »

Wow so many languages!
Here's my list:

1. Italian (native)
2. English
3. Japanese
4. Romanian

Harick
Veteran

#168 Post by Harick »

I like to say that I can speak 4 languages but it's on a technicality. I speak:

English
Norwegian
Swedish
Danish

But swedish and danish are almost just like norwegian, so yeah, technically

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#169 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

My languages:

1. English (Born in England, raised in England and Ireland)
2. German (studied German in school, lived and worked in Germany for several years my father lives in Germany and I have family there too - my grammar is not perfect but I used to read quite a bit - haven't used German in recent years however)
3. Japanese (lived and worked there for two years and needed to use it at work, had studied it by myself for many years - basic (I passed N4) but I got by - I'll be back in Japan for a few weeks next month)
4. Chinese (I live and work in Taiwan currently but I don't need it at work so there is less incentive. I speak a little with my daughter, I hope I will improve as she continues to grow)
5. American Sign Language (used with my daughter when she was slightly younger - it accelerates language learning - it's great!)
6. Irish (from school in Ireland - not something I have ever really needed so it has faded)

We also learned French in school, but I can't remember much. For Chinese and Japanese though, my wife is at native level for both, so she sometimes helps me translate projects.

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#170 Post by Fuseblower »

1 - Dutch (because I'm Dutch)
2 - English (the one thing I got out of highschool that is actually useful)
3 - German (die Deutsche Sprache ist ganz leicht für Niederländer.)
4 - Frisian (but I won't bother to speak it, it sounds awful from my mouth)

In the Netherlands about everyone (at least of my generation) had to learn English, German and French but my French is of such a deplorable level that I can only say "Mon francais est très mauvais." :lol:

And complete fluency in C, C++, Java(script), SQL, Z80, x86, 68K assembly languages but I don't think these qualify :lol:

Would love to get a grip on Japanese though but I simply don't have the time. Shikata ga nai...

sonnenblumen
Regular
Projects: Project: Perfectly Normal

#171 Post by sonnenblumen »

1. Swedish (Native Language; Fluent)
2. English (Fluent, mother’s tongue)
3. German (Basic, working towards conversational)
4. Japanese (Learning, I know most Hiragana — but my vocab is severely lacking and I rarely find the energy or time to revise OTL)
5. Alongside Swedish, I naturally more or less also understand Norwegian and Danish

StarluoAngel
Completed: The Village Demon
Projects: Red, My Mysterious Roommate!!
Tumblr: StarluoAngel
Deviantart: kirbybabbo

#172 Post by StarluoAngel »

1. Filipino (Tagalog. The very first language I learned. My family uses it regularly. I can speak and understand it to an extent)
2. English (Fluent. Mother tongue!)
3. French (Can speak, write, and read French. Learning it in school. It's required to learn in grade 9 but I chose to extend my studies in it)
4. Japanese (I know the bare basics of it through some self study...)

crystalscm
Regular
Completed: Suiyue
Projects: Scales of Fate
itch: tsukimii

#173 Post by crystalscm »

- English: my native language... I use American English, not British, but I could switch between the two in writing if I wanted or needed to. Speaking is a different story though. I was born in America.

- Chinese: Mandarin. Everyone in my family was born in China – except me, that is. At first, I took Chinese school and used some online program to learn Chinese, but eventually I quit that school/program after picking up Spanish for school, so as of now I can speak and understand quite a bit, but reading, I need some refreshing on... I can still read some characters though!

- Japanese: Every Japanese I learned was from anime, otome games, song lyrics, and drama CDs while following translations. I honestly still don’t really understand the grammar completely, but it’s gotten to the point where I can listen to some drama CDs on my own without the help of complete translations and get the general story and some if not most of what they’re saying (also applies for Japanese songs as well). I can also read quite a bit too – hiragana, katakana, and some kanji.

- Spanish: My foreign language course in school, since my parents pretty much forced me into Spanish, though I don’t really hate Spanish at this point; I think the language has grown on me over time. Plus, it’s not hard to pick up, seeing that my native language is English... I just find some concepts difficult, like preterite vs. imperfect, por vs. para, and the subjunctive. I’m working on it though!

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

#174 Post by SinaAzad »

_Persian: well, My native language, good thing about it is that I can almost pronounce any character in any language (at least I have never had any problems till now)

_English: can anyone live without it?went to classes for like 2 years but didn't really work out, but one day I woke up and notice that somehow I can speak English... magic... well I mean thanks to games anyone can learn it right?

_Turkish: well as a kid I remember watching Turkish TV for like 2 years, Most of it is lost in time but I still can Understand it, cant speak tho...

_japanese: can anyone Play VNs and watch anime and doesn't learn it? I could speak a little and can understand around 70% of a normal conversation not good at writing tho...

_C# : yup this one is also considered a language :p cant say I've mastered it but I know my way around it
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Black Cat 2412
Regular
Projects: Rapunzel: A classic retold
Deviantart: BlackCat2412

#175 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

What the? How come almost everyone above me can speak more than two languages? I feel so out-leveled ==

- Vietnamese: My mother tongue. I can savour The tale of Kieu in all of it original glory...
- English: Started learning at grade 6 but not (quite) mastered it until grade 12. I never gave up on the language, even though it felt so impossible from the beginning. A huge thank you to video game for motivating me : )

LuckyBerry
Projects: aRomancetherapy!, The White Castle (title subject to change), and oh so much more lol

#176 Post by LuckyBerry »

1. Spanish (mother tongue, and I mean Spanish as in Latin American Spanish not Spain's since I'm from Central America)
2. English (both my parents are bilingual and as such introduced me to the language and also helped me learn bits, but I almost consider it self-taught through videogames and reading in English)

And since I loooove languages I'm trying to learn French and Japanese (I only have started self-studying French though). I was also interested in Italian for some time but that interest started to fade with time... I may one day try to learn it though, since I still kind of like it (and it seems like it shouldn't be too hard since my mother tongue is Spanish which is another romance language, same with French), but first I want to concentrate on the ones I really love. Beyond that, recently I've been getting a bit interested in Chinese? And also Hebrew hehe. But yeah, my two main goals right now are French and Japanese.
Last edited by LuckyBerry on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

karenbubblegum
Tumblr: sillyllamabread

#177 Post by karenbubblegum »

1. Russian (my native language)
2. Ukrainian (can't avoid it if you're living in Ukraine)
3. English (school)
4. German (school - successfully forgotten completely)
5. Latin (college - also forgotten, apart from In Vino Veritas - that's just a motto)
6. Spanish (college major)
Welcome to the Omni world.

yaelso
Projects: From the Sugar Plum Kingdom
Tumblr: yaelso
Deviantart: yaelso
itch: yaelso

#178 Post by yaelso »

Gosh! I love all the variance here! I've...got a bit of a list myself?

1. English (native language)
2. Spanish (grew up speaking it as per family/friends/region)
3. Japanese (started self studying in around 2011, eventually took a few years in school and am pretty proficient! I was supposed to have taken the JLPT twice now for tangible recognition alongside an exchange while I was in high school/follow up come college, but alas, life happened)
4. Hebrew (I'm Jewish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
5. Latin (also took this in school and picked up self studying afterwards. Became more relevant as I nosed into dusty scholarly texts)

While I wouldn't wholly count them in those numbers since I'm only mildly proficient, I took a year of Mandarin as a middle schooler and can read/write to a degree in Korean and Russian. Languages sorta are a side passion of mine and evidently I retain/pick them up pretty easily, so my hope is to tag a few more to my repertoire someday.

noel.gould
itch: antperson

#179 Post by noel.gould »

1. French (native)
2. English (fluent)
3. Spanish (a little bit…)

TheDeepBlueSea
itch: thedeepbluesea

#180 Post by TheDeepBlueSea »

1. Albanian (native)
2. English (fluent)
3. Italian (fluent)
4. Spanish (not bad at it)
5. French (same as spanish)
6. Korean (i can read, write and speak some words)
7. Japanese (i know how to read/write hiragana, but i am not very good at it, still trying to learn when i have some free time)