Languages!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

Re: Languages!

#31 Post by Pyonkotchi »

English is my first language. I know enough Spanish to understand someone when they speak, but not enough to hold an actual conversation.

I'm fluent in gibberish

And Like every weeaboo, I know a handful of japanese words phrases including phrases that I won't actually use in real life o3o POKEMON GETTO DAZE!

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#32 Post by Elenakiara »

In learned order:

1. Russian (Good, but very slow at writing and use English words at times xD)
2. English (currently what I'm the most comfortable with :3)
3. French (studied in Quebec for 12 years, so I'm good, but my sentences are sometimes formulated like if it was in English xD)

Wants to learn:
4. Spanish (I only had one basic class as of now... xD)
5. Italian (I wish, as it's pretty and has similarities with Russian, French and Spanish xD)
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#33 Post by Silvere »

1. German (Native)
2. English
3. Japanse (Only simple things.. :3)

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Alex »

1. Russian - native.
2. English - studied at school, computer games and MTV Europe helped a lot...)) But for now practicaly read-only mode.

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#35 Post by Tachyglossus »

With all these different languages, there must also be such a wide variety of awesome accents!

My own accent is typical for the West coast of Canada, for any of you familiar with that area or people from it. I've been told I have a 'News Anchor' accent, but I'm not sure what is meant by that.

Agent Zero
Regular

Languages

#36 Post by Agent Zero »

Hmmm. Wow I didn't expect that people talk many languages ? ( Reffering to net people ) I mean 3 is fine but more is joust messy.
Here is a list of my languages:

Learned languages:

1) Bosnian ( Home land language ; off course mandatory ) - EXPERT LEVEL 5/5
2) Serbian ( Our neighbor language ; it's quite similar to Bosnian but grammar is really really different. ) EXPERT LEVEL 3/5
3) Croatian ( Same as Serbian situation ) EXPERT LEVEL 4.5/5
4) English ( Started in 1st grade as volunteer ended up being mandatory next year :S ) High Level 4.5/5 ( Spelling T.T but can read,write and understand 98% of all words in English ).
5) German ( Mandatory and I have a D in in T.T hoping to get a C by the end of May ).
6) Šatro ( a variation of Bosnian with words really really twisted but the grammar is same ). High level 2/5

1,2,3,4 and 5 are mandatory.

"Broken" Languages ( as in a few phrases or words ):

a) Russian ( Basic conversation as where is the police station ).
b) Spanish ( up to 10 words yay me :P )
c) Internet nerds ( or 1337 or something like that )
d) Italian ( basic things )
e) Japanese ( only a few words and sense that there a few students in my school who read manga or watch anime we have integrated the Sempai and Sensei into our sentences when we talk to each other. And yes I'm the youngest. )

Hope to learn languages :

Spanish,Italian,Japanese ( Livemocha.com is a good site to start. )

So can't wait for summer.

Currently in school. By June 22th a site a blog and a game should be up and running.

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#37 Post by Silvere »

Tachyglossus wrote:With all these different languages, there must also be such a wide variety of awesome accents!
*Thumbs up*
*ahem*
I´m from Upper Austria and therefore I´m speaking a more stronger German accent *Happy* x3
Accent > All.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#38 Post by PyTom »

English only.

I learned programming languages at a relatively young age, eight or so. I really wonder if doing so spoiled me from learning natural language - I could pick up the grammar well, but the vocabulary really stunk, and I was never able to get irregularities in languages. Despite taking six years of Spanish, I wound up having to trick my way through the dialogue portion of the final, using the following plan:

1) Learn how to talk about the time and weather.
2) Learn how to turn the conversation to the time and or weather.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#39 Post by Snowflower »

Tachyglossus wrote:With all these different languages, there must also be such a wide variety of awesome accents!

My own accent is typical for the West coast of Canada, for any of you familiar with that area or people from it. I've been told I have a 'News Anchor' accent, but I'm not sure what is meant by that.

I don't think I have accents but when I was like 3... 4 years old, my English teacher was British... So for the longest time, my English had British accent (because she correctly my pronunciation with British dialect XD )

Even to this day, some of my words come out with a British accent, like sorry & excuse me.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

choklitchan
Regular

#40 Post by choklitchan »

Lots of diversity here, huh. ^_^
I think it's really nice to have such a variety of people and experiences all in one place with a common denominator.

@ snowflower:
I want a british accent...
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#41 Post by Snowflower »

choklitchan wrote:Lots of diversity here, huh. ^_^
I think it's really nice to have such a variety of people and experiences all in one place with a common denominator.

@ snowflower:

There are plenty of people who fake their british accents... & if you constantly use it, it will stick with you :3
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

choklitchan
Regular

#42 Post by choklitchan »

Snowflower wrote:
choklitchan wrote:Lots of diversity here, huh. ^_^

@ snowflower:

There are plenty of people who fake their british accents... & if you constantly use it, it will stick with you :3
Haha, no, my fake british accent just sounds... fake. :P I'll leave it to the naturals.
The best I can manage in a remotely convincing accent is, "Bond. James Bond." And considering I'm a female, that's not very convincing at all. :D
Finished:
Shrinkled
Mobile Food Madness (Polymorphic Games)
Works in Progress
The Truth of the Legends (Hiatus)

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#43 Post by Tachyglossus »

@Snowflower

Something similar occurs with me. I speak mostly in a 'plain' accent, but there is the odd words I pronounce in a different accent. I also keep changing how I pronounce some words. This isn't intentional, some words with multiple pronunciations will just sometimes come out as one or the other. Like pronouncing Schedule like 'Skedule' and then saying 'Shedule'.

@Silvere

I bet you sound epic.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#44 Post by LVUER »

PyTom wrote:1) Learn how to talk about the time and weather.
2) Learn how to turn the conversation to the time and or weather.
Clever, very clever. I like it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#45 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

The languages I know, in descending order of fluency:

1. English (Native language)
2. Spanish (written mostly - I have difficulty understanding everything in spoken Spanish, but can get by)
3. Japanese (Mostly only enough to get myself in trouble, get directions, order food, curse a little, etc. and I can read hiragana and katakana, but only a handful of kanji)
4. German (A few simple words and phrases. I used to know more when I was dating a girl from Germany, but she just flatly told me that my American-accented German was awful and I should stop since she knew English better than I knew German. Who was I to argue? Her German-accented English was sexy, even if it was almost as bad as my accented German. :wink: )
5. Arabic (Only insults and curses. :oops: As a young Marine, I foolishly only cared to learn how to infuriate my potential enemies, instead of how to have civil discourse with them. Infamously, I was responsible for teaching many fellow Marines how to shout, "Your mother has sexual relations with camels." I'm not very proud of that. :( )