[WIP GxB] Machina Jewel | first post updated 7/20/2011+poll!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: [WIP] Machina Jewel (First post updated!)

#76 Post by Camille »

Gameplay video! Well, sort of. Mostly I wanted to show off the map. Hopefully this satisfies some of the people waiting for our demo. XD The demo should be done before too long, I think...
A preview of the map/action system in chapter three. Please keep in mind that all the art you see here is temporary. The real sprites will look much better--at the very least, they'll be in color. (: The music used is also subject to later change.
Oh yeah, ignore that random pinging sound every now and then. I forgot to turn off Growl notifications, so that's just the sound of me receiving email. ):

dubunny

Re: [WIP GxB] Machina Jewel | first post updated 6/20/2011

#77 Post by dubunny »

Wow, the theme music is so gorgeous!! :') I keep listening to it on repeat haha.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#78 Post by Camille »

Aww, thank you! Our composer will be really happy to hear that, haha. It's pretty, isn't it? ;_;

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#79 Post by EternalDream »

Ahh the music is really nice and easy on the ears ; v ;b
And your dialogue box... I am like in love xDD

The only thing that I noticed is that when you hover over choices like on the map, you can't tell what you're selecting since it doesn't really change? OvO? Or is that just the video haha // *is a person that feels uncomfortable when what she's selecting doesn't change color or something*

And to end off... I can't wait for the demo!!! : D ... And no, the video did not satisfy me... IT MADE ME WANT THE DEMO EVEN MORE //cries QvQ

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#80 Post by Camille »

EternalDream wrote:Ahh the music is really nice and easy on the ears ; v ;b
And your dialogue box... I am like in love xDD

The only thing that I noticed is that when you hover over choices like on the map, you can't tell what you're selecting since it doesn't really change? OvO? Or is that just the video haha // *is a person that feels uncomfortable when what she's selecting doesn't change color or something*

And to end off... I can't wait for the demo!!! : D ... And no, the video did not satisfy me... IT MADE ME WANT THE DEMO EVEN MORE //cries QvQ
Haha we're glad you think so. AND THANKS! /made the dialogue box

It does change: the location name text changes from a light brown to a bright red when you hover over it. If you view the video in its full-size (and HD), it's easier to see this, though. owo I think it's super noticeable in the actual game, haha.

Sorry, you'll have to wait a little longer! ;___;<3

Another one! To show off the letters (and replying to them) and the stats screen. I meant to put this in the other video and kind of forgot. XD; I did a better job with this video, so no more annoying pings and the cursor is faded and stuff. Experience, experience~

A-413

#81 Post by A-413 »

wow this is really amazing stuff. i like how you design the characters and map <3 the art style you have is also really pro. i'll be keeping watch for this. the fact that it's in a steam punk setting is an added bonus. really unique. i look forward to playing it when it's done. :3

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#82 Post by Camille »

A-413 wrote:wow this is really amazing stuff. i like how you design the characters and map <3 the art style you have is also really pro. i'll be keeping watch for this. the fact that it's in a steam punk setting is an added bonus. really unique. i look forward to playing it when it's done. :3
Aww thank you! We really appreciate it.

40% through with chapter three:
The game contains 2,411 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 43,992 words,
for an average of 18.2 words per screen.
The game contains 74 menus.
I've been writing faster recently, so hopefully this momentum keeps up. I'm taking a short break because the artist wants to come up with some scenarios for me to write. XD She has a soft spot for cute scenes, so. If it were up to me, everyone would be some sort of crazy yandere, so you should thank the artist.

The voice acting auditions are winding down now. We've pretty much picked out our ideal cast out of the people who've auditioned and an official announcement will be made the first week of July. I'm really excited about our cast, so hopefully everyone likes them, too. <3

The character designs are also finishing up, so hopefully we have sprites done soon. I do plan to release a demo that contains just the first chapter or so, but that has to wait until all the sprites are done, at least. (err minus the ones that don't appear yet) I'm pretty sure the demo will keep the placeholder BGs we've been using, though. Idk, we'll see how it goes.

We've also more or less finalized our plans for some DLC content... Basically, there's a secret fifth guy (Jarmiel - working name lol) that you can date in the game if you purchase an expansion pack. He is very important to the main storyline, it's just that he isn't obtainable unless you buy the add-on content. We haven't decided on a price yet, but it'll definitely be $5 or less, so not too expensive, we hope. This is mostly just so we can make back the money we spent on music commissions and that sort of thing, but yeah. We do plan on primarily making free games, but offering these sorts of extras to support our free games. Anyway, we promise we'll make him worth your while! ;D The only drawback is that he won't be voiced, but then I suppose you can just use your imagination for him~

tl;dr we're hard at work, thanks to everyone for their support thus far. ;__; (I've already got my next game in planning/production and it's a BL game where you get to time travel, hehehe) Crazy to think that we just started this project at the end of April... I hope nobody judges our game too much just because it's our first VN, haha.

A-413

#83 Post by A-413 »

woah you even have voice actors D8 !!!
so impressive!!!
*is excited* <33333333
keep up the good work, you guys +v+ <3

dubunny

#84 Post by dubunny »

The more I hear about this, the more excited I get. It's kind of creepy how much I'm stalking the progress of this game haha.

I can't wait to hear the voice acting! And I'll totally be willing to pay for DLC, this game is commercial quality anyway so I think it's definitely deserving of my money.

I don't think anyone will judge this game for being your first VN. In fact, it only makes me more impressed that it's such high quality!

I haven't commented on how cute your dp is, have I? sobs are there chibis of the other characters?

Another game!? /faints with joy. Time travel!? /faints again.
You can be sure I'll be there creeping about in the WIP post once you start that game ;)

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#85 Post by Camille »

Aww, thank you! ;w; It makes me happy whenever I see other people who are as excited about Machina Jewel as we are. WE DON'T MIND STALKERS. Stalkers are very welcome! ;D

Haha I'm glad to hear that. We don't expect to make a killing off of the DLC, but it would be nice if people bought it. XD We're also thinking about art books and all sorts of other stuff, so we'll see how that goes. I have to admit that the marketing side of making VNs isn't all that fun, but it's inevitable since we spent money on MJ. ;; I hope it's successful, because then we'll be able to make more games, yeah? :3

This friend of a friend was doing chibi commissions so we supported her by getting her to do chibis of all four of the main guys, actually! XD

Image Image Image Image

Yup! It's called Break Chance Memento. I haven't really been working on it beyond coming up with the concept, though, because I want to devote my full attention to Machina Jewel. I did, however, already commission Auro-Cyanide to do the art and this group to do the UI. That way, when they're done with that and I'm done with Machina Jewel, I can dive right in and get started. Also, since other people are doing all the art/design, I can focus on what I like and do best: the writing and the scripting. We've got character designs done already and she's working on the sprites now. <3 There probably won't be a WIP post for BCM for at least another few months, though.

Arcanum
Veteran

#86 Post by Arcanum »

Everytime I see this WIP thread I squeal with joy. There're always such a good news! I can't even get properly excited with Machina Jewel yet and you're already announcing another game with BL AND time travel?! Ahhh, my dreams come true.

Haha, I'm so pumped up! I can't believe it will be voiced?! That's incredible! It'll add to the "feel" of the game even more… I've been looking at the videos you posted and everything is so gorgeous. I really liked the map, and I'm still baffled by the complexity of everything and how much thought was put into it. I just hope it won't be too difficult to play, haha *usually fails bad at that*

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#87 Post by Camille »

Thank you so much! ;___; Aww you guys are making me want to talk more about BC Memento, haha. I'm glad the premise is being well-received.

The artist of Machina Jewel wrote up a long blog post here about how she designed the characters and I really liked this one part she said:
I’ll think about a character and their world, then what they’d look like and heck, sometimes i’ll think of something blond with straight hair but drawing it up — it might not actually feel right. Maybe a ponytail? Half up, half down? Curls? What makes this character have her curls? What makes this boy’s head bald? Characters will always have exaggerations especially if you can think of them aesthetically, lol. A lot of characters from series will always wear really tacky things but that usually tells you right away what defines them, right? The things they care about and perhaps, if they’re tidy. I can’t imagine a dirty, poor girl who lives on the streets and digs through trash cans to wear her hair in permed curls.
I put a lot of thought into the characters, too. Lucien is grumpy and snarky for a reason, Alonzo is a pirate for a reason, etc. That's why it takes me a while to write sometimes because I want to make sure there are no plot holes (that aren't supposed to be there/explained later) and glaring, meaningless character flaws. When I write, I think "Is this really something that this character would say?" or "How would this character react in this situation?" I usually end up changing things a lot, and then after I send the scripts off to my editors, things end up changing even more. xD

But that's just the way we like to do things. I don't think the game is hard to play. XD The most important decisions in the game are pretty obvious. For example, in chapter three, you're allowed to go wherever you want on the map, but at the beginning of a day, Charlene will say "Perhaps I should do more research...?" if you haven't done enough yet. If you ignore this and don't go to the library enough, well. Bad things happen. XD The game gives you a lot of hints, so it shouldn't be hard to play if you pay a little bit of attention.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#88 Post by manga_otaku »

CHIBI ALONZO *O* *faints*
I can't wait for this any longer T_T
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#89 Post by SilverxBlue »

Ch-chibi Tetsu!
*Fangirl Scream*
It's so cute I'm gonna die.
manga_otaku wrote:I can't wait for this any longer T_T
I'm a beta-tester and I can't wait any longer as well. The first beta Camille sent me only made me want moarrrr!

EDIT: I removed the spoiler tag! ^^;
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#90 Post by Camille »

SilverxBlue wrote:Ch-chibi Tetsu!
*Fangirl Scream*
It's so cute I'm gonna die.
manga_otaku wrote:I can't wait for this any longer T_T
I'm a beta-tester and I can't wait any longer as well. The first beta Camille sent me only made me want moarrrr!
I'm not sure if I should mention this, so I'm putting it on a spoiler tag just in case. ^^;
You can talk about the game! :O Just don't give out any story spoilers, haha.

Glad you guys like the chibis. <3