[WIP GxB] Machina Jewel | first post updated 7/20/2011+poll!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: [WIP GxB] Machina Jewel | first post updated 7/20/2011+p

#181 Post by Camille »

A quick update since I've had more than one person ask me about it...

Right now the main hold-up is because of Airi, but it's not her fault at all. It can't really be helped. She's in her second year of art school now and is so busy with projects that she doesn't have as much leisure time, so basically no new art has been done for MJ since late July/early August. The good thing is that she's learned a lot more in art school, so when the art is done, it will look even better than before.

Also, the Alonzo voice actor has quit voice acting. ): It has nothing to do with our project or anything; he won't be doing any more voice acting period, so... That plus problems with a few of the other supporting cast kind of soured the whole voice acting thing. In all likelihood, we will either end up not having any voice acting or make it into an add-on after the game has been finished and released without voice acting. (probably the latter because I do love the voice actors we still have and I'd feel terrible if their work was never realized)

Anyway, the reason I wanted to say all this was to explain why things have slowed down. However, both of us still want to finish this game, definitely. Quitting was never an option. It will take longer than we originally planned, but we will take that time to make MJ even better than it would have been had we finished it sooner. (if that even makes sense?) I have finished writing and scripting the first three chapters out of a planned eight. The game has gotten into the part where choices start to really matter and Charlene's (chosen) personality starts to really shine. This means I have to write a lot of variations. It's a lot of work. ): Naturally, it will be a lot harder for me to write the script from here on out, but I'm definitely not giving up. We understand that a lot of people are looking forward to MJ and above all, we want to honor the commitment we made to ourselves/each other when we decided to make the game in the first place. XD Nothing would leave a worse taste in our mouth than us not finishing MJ.

So I hope that everyone who's been looking forward to this game can wait a little while longer. We won't let you down. /o/ For now, to tide people over a little bit, I put together the Machina Jewel soundtrack so far. These are all of the tracks that have been composed especially for the game by Daniel Jansson. A few of these, I think, have never been heard by anyone (other than me and Airi) before. Eventually all of the main guys will have their own theme, but apparently even our composer is an Alonzo fan, so his was finished first. 8) Any comments on the music would be much appreciated. <3

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#182 Post by ririruetoo »

Thats sad about the guy who played Alonzo...But I guess theres nothing to be done about it...No one else has quit, right? Actually, I rarely like voices in my games, but this has to be one of the small expections. I really enjoy what I've heard so far, all of the actors have done really great. Anywho, I'll wait some more for the game. Even if it takes another few months, I'll be waiting for the completed game with all my heart.

Comments on the Music~

I really enjoyed all of them, but my two favorites have to be either the main theme, or Heart's Home...For that matter I really like Alonzo's theme too...I think I'm a fan of all of them so far! None that I heard that I would call 'bad'. So, for now, great job Daniel Jansson! Very professional!!!
ImageImageImage

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#183 Post by Camille »

All in all that means there's about 4 missing people. :C The game will take quite a while longer than a few months, but hopefully everyone can be patient. XD I'll try to be better about updates, but if I haven't posted, it probably means there's nothing notable to update about.

I'm glad you like the music. <3 We've been really perfectionistic about it, so I hope everyone likes it.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#184 Post by ririruetoo »

Well, even if it takes a year I'll still be looking forward to this game...Well...Even if takes more than that, I'll still be waiting eagerly. Maybe its a good thing that it won't come out for a while, I just started my first year of college, so I'm bogged down with stuff I have to do. Plus, since I have lots of stuff to do, when I finally do get the chance to be worried about playing Machina Jewel, time will have passed. So, maybe its a double edged sword? Something like that...Anywho, Camille, you said 4 people were missing, who's missing? More voice actors? Anyways, my favorite bachelors so far have to be: Azhar, and Lucien. I have to say though that Alonzo made me chuckle! Its funny, when I first saw the screen shots, I thought that you all were planning on having the sprites just be black and white. I thought that was a sort of cool artistic sort of thing...Although I think the color versions do look better.
ImageImageImage

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#185 Post by DaFool »

One of the reasons I started on my current big project is because this other steampunk GxB project (I think it was called something Thousand Doors) died so I realized if I wanted something with the setting I'll have to make my own. So it's a shame that there will be delays to MJ, but it can't be helped. There's just something appealing to me regarding period dramas that compelled me to consume every version of Pride and Prejudice made. I wish I could say I'm instead looking forward to BCM but BxB is just not for me.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#186 Post by Camille »

@ririruetoo: I meant that there are four characters missing voice actors, haha. That's almost half of the main cast, so that's no good. D: But we'll have to just wait and see how things go, I guess. And no, haha, those are strictly placeholders. The colored sprites will look something like this:

I think she's still experimenting with color styles and such, but something like that, probably. XD

@DaFool: My favorite genres to write and read are fantasy/historical and I have a particular fondness for 1600-1900 Europe. It seems quite a few other people feel the same since a lot of responses to MJ have been excitement over the Victorian setting, hehe. I'd like to see other VNs that shy away from the typical modern high school setting, so hearing that you're working on a steampunk project (?) is pretty exciting. I think most people just don't like doing the research necessary for historical fiction-type VNs... I have a whole gigantic file of steampunk/Victorian research and references that I'm constantly referring to for MJ. Anyway, I hope you'll continue looking forward to MJ because it will be done sooner or later.

I hesitate to classify BCM as purely a BxB game because honestly the romantic aspects of the story are quite muted for most of the game. (it's quite possible to get to the true ending without being romantically involved with anybody) I've had a few totally straight guys play through the game (well, what I have so far) and none of them felt uncomfortable with it. So hopefully you give the demo a try when it comes out before totally writing it off. (:

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#187 Post by Camille »

Statistics: The game contains 3,463 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 63,509 words,
for an average of 18.3 words per screen.
The game contains 86 menus.
Aaaand we're back to work. Airi and I intend on giving the game a huge makeover. The GUI's going to look different, the guys' looks are going to be tweaked (she promised Azhar would still have his signature 8) face) and I'm going to be changing the system a lot. First off--the stats system. That's kind of the big feature of MJ, so it's obviously not being taken out, but I'm going to be changing the stats and possibly decreasing the number of them. This will make the choices more relevant and make it easier for me to write the varying scenes, as well. I also intend on adding a little more to the gameplay to make MJ more than just a plain visual novel, but that's something I'll have to think on. The letters system is probably going to change a lot, too. I kinda like the text messaging in "Catherine", so maybe something closer to that...?

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#188 Post by SilverxBlue »

Camille wrote:
Aaaand we're back to work. Airi and I intend on giving the game a huge makeover. The GUI's going to look different, the guys' looks are going to be tweaked (she promised Azhar would still have his signature 8) face) and I'm going to be changing the system a lot. First off--the stats system. That's kind of the big feature of MJ, so it's obviously not being taken out, but I'm going to be changing the stats and possibly decreasing the number of them. This will make the choices more relevant and make it easier for me to write the varying scenes, as well. I also intend on adding a little more to the gameplay to make MJ more than just a plain visual novel, but that's something I'll have to think on. The letters system is probably going to change a lot, too. I kinda like the text messaging in "Catherine", so maybe something closer to that...?
Ohhhh! I'm looking forward to beta testing again! :) Now I need to pray that it won't get in the way of my job. ^_^;;
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#189 Post by azureXtwilight »

Anddd me too! 8D

I'm still in!

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran

#190 Post by ririruetoo »

I'm glad you guys are back to working on it! If you need any more beta-testers, I would be interested. Although I understand if you don't need me, quality over quantity after all! (^_^)
ImageImageImage

selenity136
Regular

#191 Post by selenity136 »

Camille wrote:
Hell yes! I'm glad to actually go back to beta-testing ^^. I was planning to go and replay the beta ver. this weekend so hearing that it's being worked on is making me giddy! I can't wait to give you my report once a new one comes out!

Celestie
Veteran

#192 Post by Celestie »

Well, I was around betatesting the last time. Even if I only write a report once (and the second playthrough I did have one thing to talk about but since you want to work over it entirely, I don't need to mention it xD)
...sadly, I think, Japanese studies coupled with law school will eat my tiem away. I ahven't been on here for a few weeks, too..TAT BUT I AM PATIENT 8D And that you are willing to give it a lot of makeover is amazing. I am looking forward to the results~
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Celestine
Veteran

#193 Post by Celestine »

That's too bad about Alonzo. Are you going to have a different voice actor then?
That's a nice pic but there's something about the lips. I really like the eyelashes. They look so life like in how eyelashes are displayed.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#194 Post by Cain0425 »

when do you think there be a demo so we can get a feel of what the game will be like

birthdaylion

#195 Post by birthdaylion »

Are there anymore open spots for beta testing? I would LOVE to test this game. (I have no life so I have nothing better to do than play this game several times through.) I was wondering about how the voice acting would effect choosing the main character's name when I watched the voice test, but I guess that the last name is going to be the same no matter what? I think that voice acting for a project like this is really cool. (It kinda makes me wanna voice act for something xD) It looks gorgeous; good art in a game is really important to me, just as important as the plot. I can't wait to find out more of the details of this curse! Not to mention all these crazy features. (After trying to make a simple little Ren'Py game I have extreme respect for those who make extensive games like this.)
In any case, this looks incredible and I hope something from it gets release soon!