New but still unnamed project has officially started

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

New but still unnamed project has officially started

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

Now that Hosting has been taken care of and questions are readily answered here everytime I hit a brick wall, I think it's about time to anounce to the world my still unnamed project has officially started.

Attached here are screenshots of BG I am going to use in the actual game.

But my project is still in it's early stages so details I can give about my current project will be sparse at best and progress here is slow but steady (about 1 Colored BG every 2 days).

Hope you all like it. :)

Any comments, criticisms and suggestions to improve my still unnamed project is highly appreciated.

Uh... Sorry about my english
(I hope I didn't misspell anything)

MUGENJOHNCEL

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

yeah I have a suggestion... though I can't draw backgrounds myself.
I think it would look nicer if you made the outlines a little bit thinner or made them softer by making them the same but a little darker shade than the colors.

btw, this looks like a real-word location. amazing detail on that car headlight too.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

lordcloudx said
btw, this looks like a real-word location.
Except for the garage, the kitchen is based on my own kitchen (the table and chair included not to mention my kitchen is colored red).

To bad my kitchen wasn't always this clean. :oops:
amazing detail on that car headlight too.
Uh... If you zoom in on it you'll notice that what I really used on it is a picture of a crumpled transparent plastic cover I downloaded from the internet.
I think it would look nicer if you made the outlines a little bit thinner or made them softer by making them the same but a little darker shade than the colors.
I already toyed with that Idea earlier but it doesn't blend well with my character (the background now look's too real).

But I still am in the early stages so I'll consider it. :D
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#4 Post by Watercolorheart »

Have you ever thought of using 3D-generated with outlines (vector or otherwise)? I can do these same kind of backgrounds in Poser 6, and though I can't take credit for the original modeling work, I could generate some for you to compare.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

Please do!

I've heard of Poser 6 before and really wanted to try it sometime.

I really wanted to see what Poser 6 can do.

Maybe it's just me but I still love working with my Felt Tip pen and Rulers
(Yup! do things the old fashion way and draw them manually)

A little note:
AutoCad can also do it but it look so... industrial.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

I like how it looks :). No doubt, putting efforts in backgrounds make them really good ^.^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

Oh yes, cars! Finally!!

Anyway, looks fantastic, whatever method that is - copypapering, 3D modeling or photoprocessing - or combined - the colors are really nice and crisp. So good luck with finishing the project, that's what matters. 8)

TMBpower
Regular

#8 Post by TMBpower »

Woah, too amazing!O_O Everything's so...clean...

Although the details in the kitchen such as the boxes and the roses (assuming they are pasted in) don't match the style of the rest of the pic. They distract my eyes...but maybe it's just me.x_x; Anyhow, hope to see more of these, looks excellent.
Volunteer CG artist, if your story interests me (which is very likely!).
PM me if you want me on your team!
Current Project: None

RedSlash
Veteran

#9 Post by RedSlash »

I think the bgs look good. They kinda remind me of 3D cell shading. Keep up the good work.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#10 Post by Watercolorheart »

mugenjohncel wrote:Please do!

I've heard of Poser 6 before and really wanted to try it sometime.

I really wanted to see what Poser 6 can do.

Maybe it's just me but I still love working with my Felt Tip pen and Rulers
(Yup! do things the old fashion way and draw them manually)

A little note:
AutoCad can also do it but it look so... industrial.
Okay, I rendered a pocketwatch and a kitchen so far. (Of course, I'm also using my artistic abilities to layer and postwork things in PhotoShop and PhotoImpact a bit, otherwise its just lines and blocks of color ... )

I was thinking I might write a short little game with them, but knowing my history, they'll probably get left by the wayside ...

I'll upload them here when convenient.

As an addendum: do you, er, want a 3d anime character too? I can do young,(child) teen, adult .... personally, I don't like the cel-shades too much anymore, but I can swing it. My selection of cel-shaded hair is limited, so if you don't mind not having an outline around the hair itself, I have much more to choose from.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Watercolorheart »

Okay, here you are.
Attachments
I think this one turned out the best. Probably because I helped it along ...
I think this one turned out the best. Probably because I helped it along ...
pocketwatch4.png (372.59 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
It's okay.
It's okay.
kitchen.png (172.66 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
fridgelines.gif
An example of what I originally get out of Poser, before I start compositing it.
(31.19 KiB) Downloaded 165 times

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter

#12 Post by mugenjohncel »

Wow! The Kitchen lighting is good... (again sorry about my english)

So that's what poser 6 can do.

One tiny question... :?:

Is lighting an integrated part of poser 6 or did you add it manually?

If it is... I will definitely try out poser 6, that will definitely speed up the process.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Watercolorheart »

mugenjohncel wrote:Wow! The Kitchen lighting is good... (again sorry about my english)

So that's what poser 6 can do.

One tiny question... :?:

Is lighting an integrated part of poser 6 or did you add it manually?

If it is... I will definitely try out poser 6, that will definitely speed up the process.
Yes, there are lights within the Poser 6 program which can be manipulated. There are two seperate viewing options: one with lines, and one without and those are the ones which I composite. In the kitchen scene, with the lighting (which you liked), I rendered the scene and made it into a black and white shade then turned it into an overlay in Photoshop at about 50% transparent.

Unfortunately, this washed out much of the color, but seeing as how it's a night-time scene, I wasn't too concerned about it ...

IMHO, your BGs look fine. I'm not saying that 3d is better than hand-drawn CG (it isn't) ... only faster and easier, once you get over the sharp learning curve of learning how to interact with your environment in a 3d program.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#14 Post by lordcloudx »

hmmm.... I wish I had the courage to try poser 6. Those 3d renders really do look like drawings. But 3d studio max crashed my pc when I tried it and I've been reluctant to try any 3d editing program ever since.

Using RO(ragnarok online) screencaps on an offline private server might also be a good idea.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Watercolorheart »

Yes, Poser 6 is quite the memory hog on system resources. I'm reluctant to run anything else with it running too, but I occasionally have an mp3 player or PhotoImpact open at the same time.

But my parents bought me a new computer just a few months ago - my five year old computer with Windows 98 could never run it. Poor thing only had 4 GIGs of memory compared to this 150 GIG monster ...