CLOSED {Forest of Noir Open Dev. Thread}

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

CLOSED {Forest of Noir Open Dev. Thread}

#1 Post by MaiMai »

Title: Forest of Noir
Genre: Adventure/Action
Rating: PG13 for violence and mild language
Length: Short. Hopefully.
Choices: 3 (subject to change, but probably won't go over this)
Endings: Three
POV: First person.

Summary: A young runaway girl named Belinda finds herself in the mysterious Forest of Noir. She needs to find a way out or else the greedy and sadistic wolf of the forest, Angelo, will keep her trapped for all eternity. Along the way, she meets three brothers who are also trapped by Angelo.

Will she win against the wolf? Will she save the brothers? Or will she just save herself?

Characters:
Belinda: A well adjusted (not really) and no nonsense (definitely) young lady who finds herself in the seemingly endless Forest of Noir. Possibly violent. She loves to eat.

Angelo: Total asshat. Some sort of werewolf who is in charge of the forest. Kind of a sadist, treats others as his playthings. Belinda might be his new toy if she's not careful.

Camille: Lives in the Forest of Noir with his two younger brothers. Looks stoic and cool, but he's just lanky and a dork. And strong. Like. Superman Strong.

It doesn't change the fact that he's a dork.

Caleb and Cecil: WIP

Author's Notes:
I decided to make this VN because I felt like hurting something. But instead of lashing out in real life, let's use that energy to make this game! Which is going at a snails pace due to school, my ever shifting art skills, and holding back temptation to make the story more complicated than it's supposed to be. It's not. The premise really is that simple.

This is an open development thread. I will take suggestions. If you ask questions about the story and characters I will answer. As a result this will be full of SPOILERS if you really are offended by that sort of thing. I've been in and out of VN development and this is actually a game I want to see done. The last three attempted projects were failures due to me having my small ideas get full of hot air and then explode in my face.

In any case, maybe I'll be done by the beginning of September. Maybe. It is a mystery.
Last edited by MaiMai on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

machinist
Regular

Re: Spoilers, you live or die. {Forest of Noir Open Dev. Thr

#2 Post by machinist »

sounds interesting! and i really like how wolf guy looks xD

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#3 Post by Blue Lemma »

*Possibly* violent? I'm looking at that picture of her, and I feel like I need a first-aid kit! Love the chibi.
MaiMai wrote:I decided to make this VN because I felt like hurting something. But instead of lashing out in real life, let's use that energy to make this game!
*nods and high fives* :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

PervertPrince
Regular

#4 Post by PervertPrince »

Angelo made me laugh XD
And Camille reminds me so much of Adell from the second Disgaea game that it's scary :shock:
But I really liked Adell so I know I'll like Camille too :mrgreen:
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Nimuell
Regular
Projects: Cold Hands, Beautiful Boring People

#5 Post by Nimuell »

Belinda looks so cute ^^ And is possibly violent) NOW I'm interested what will come out from the wolf guy meeting her in the forest. Nothing good for him, I believe :D
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.nimuell.deviantart.com/

MaiMai
Yandere

#6 Post by MaiMai »

Thanks for the interest dudes and dudettes. Now that half of my classes are over for the semester, I'll have time to get a large chunk of writing done.

@Blue Lemma- Let's just say a first aid kit might not cut it if you get on the MC's bad side...

@Pervert Prince- Angelo is the projection of my not quite!hatred towards sadistic, but somehow still appealing bishonen in anime/manga/weird-as-hell otome games.

Oh and wow, Camille really does look like Adell now that I looked twice. Scary, I don't even play N1 games...

@Nimu-chan- You're right on the dot. Angelo is the big bad wolf and he will stay the big bad wolf.

renpao
Regular
Projects: Her Majesty!; •minutiae•

#7 Post by renpao »

Ah, you finally made a thread for this! I had been curious what it's about ever since you first posted it on your blog...anything with a cleaver-wielding girl (and an awesome eyepatch I might add) would always pique my interest, of course. xD;

I wish there is something I could say that would be remotely helpful (since this is an open dev. thread), but as of now I have nothing to offer--I guess I'll have to wait for more updates. C: But the premise does sound interesting! It reminds me a lot of old Western thriller films, except that I am more curious about chasing Angelo instead of running away from him in order to find out why exactly he is chasing Belinda (unless he really just wants her to be his new toy and nothing else xD).

Just a question, though: when you said "Choices: 3", do you mean it as a "best, good, and bad paths" or an end with each of the guys (not necessarily in a romantic sense)? Not that it matters to me because I will still play it regardless, but I'm just curious.
Moved to klonki. I won't be checking this profile anymore. Please direct your PMs over there, thank you!

MaiMai
Yandere

#8 Post by MaiMai »

@Renpao- Oh, trust me I'm going to have a lot of art related agony which I will be sharing here to get crit/help on. RL apparently has this draining effect on my ability to draw (HAAAAAAAANNNNNDDDDSSS *fistshake*).

As for Angelo, Belinda is trying to avoid him even though he is gleeful about her never finding a way out of his forest. Girls make good playthings. But she'll have to confront him eventually if she ever wants to get out.

For the choices, I was referring more of the branching decisions, but you're actually right about there being three endings. The way I would describe them would probably be just 'best, neutral, and bad.' I was thinking about a romantic-centered plot at first, but discarded the idea very quickly.

This is about a girl who needs to escape from a jerk who wears some weird pseudo-bondage top, we got no time for romance.

MaiMai
Yandere

#9 Post by MaiMai »

PROGRESS!!!! In which MaiMai finds that coffee is nectar of the gods and great for helping ones writing muse.

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 53 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 1,041 words,
for an average of 19.6 words per screen.
The game contains 1 menus.
I think I had 300 words last time, so the fact that I suddenly can write this much all of a sudden is good news. I made drafts of possible CGs, but I won't be touching those until I get a good chunk of writing done.

Here have a screencap, I'm in such a good mood.
Attachments
screenshot0002.png

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#10 Post by RemnantDream »

Angeloooooooo~ xD

This seems like it'll be cool. I'm looking forwards to it ^^

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#11 Post by Snow Blossom »

Sounds interesting! I love violent characters 8) The more yandere Belinda gets, the happier I'll be :P

MaiMai
Yandere

#12 Post by MaiMai »

I seem to be progressing on art more quickly than writing :| I still have two sprites to finish, but I have absolutely no will to actually finish soft shading them-- I guess that will be my goal for this month.

I have several CGs planned out already here's one you may have already seen in my blog Paper Stars. And I sped-CGed a full body shot of Belinda.
Attachments
CG_03.jpg
[complete]belindangrays.jpg
Last edited by MaiMai on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickychi
Veteran
Projects: Current: Prologue: Caged Bird

#13 Post by Mickychi »

Looks cool
Check out my WIP Prologue: Caged Bird!

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#14 Post by Snow Blossom »

Angelo's expression in that cg is priceless.

MaiMai
Yandere

Re: CLOSED {Forest of Noir Open Dev. Thread}

#15 Post by MaiMai »

This WIP thread is closed, but development for this VN will be on and off.

EDIT: May or may not come back to this later.