1970s High School Ren'Ai w/ Martial Arts Engine

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Budoka

1970s High School Ren'Ai w/ Martial Arts Engine

#1 Post by Budoka »

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about developing a Martial Arts High School Ren'Ai spanning 1968-1974 in Japan. Protagonist would start as a 12-year old male and progress to being an 18-year old male in the Japanese school system. The focus of the game would shift from more age-appropriate themes in the earlier years, to standard Ren'Ai style gameplay in the later years, introducing elements along the way. I'm developing an engine in VB similar to that seen in games such as True Love and Tokimemo, and am also developing a combat engine akin to FF. A significant element of the game will be training in Kyokushin Karate Do and Kodokan Judo, along with high school life, and chasing after girls. The engines themselves are on pace to be completed by June, but I need help putting together a story and making graphics. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, or wants to collaborate with me on developing this game, please Reply, PM, or Email me at leetbeef9999@hotmail.com .

Cheers,

Lee (Budoka)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, ambitious. Though I don't really like fighting/battle in games, but if you have to have things like that, a karate school is something where fighting makes sense, much more than encountering a mutant wasp on the school grounds :roll:
The worry here is naturally the size of your project, hopefully you have it well thought out. There have been a number of bigger projects such as yours which never really took off, so hopefully you'll be able to make it happen.
A rounded small test game would probably serve as a teaser and also as the base on which you could build - that is if this is your first project.

Interesting setting. The seventies rule! (although this applies only to car design ^_^.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Quite original and interesting ^^ I'll definately be a player of this game when it comes out :)

Budoka

Re: Small test game

#4 Post by Budoka »

Hey again,

The idea is that I'm going to complete the engine first and use that as a smaller test game. For the fighting sequences, the interface is likened towards FF, just with Kodokan Judo and Kyokushin Karate Do techniques (also some wrestling and boxing that most people do instinctively, like tackles and jabs). The 70s setting is somewhat because Kyokushinkai still allowed strikes to the face in competition at the time, so that I don't have to overcomplicate the combat engine with rules. Simply put, the techniques are going to be divided into movement, grappling, and striking, and you can do any of the three in street fights, dq'd for striking in judo competition, and dq'd for grappling in karate do. The graphics that I have thus far are fairly limited: SD characters, but the mechanics will work out nicely for an upgrade. The character images are constructed using objects, so I just have to replace the sprites of the arms/legs/heads/bodies appropriately. Anyways, I'm thinking I'll be done a lil' demo for June, featuring the fighting module, as well as a quick and dirty implementation of the actual running-around dating sim, so we'll move on from there.

Cheers,

Lee (Budoka)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

I'm curious to see this more technical and realistic approach to martial arts in a game :). And chibis characters would just add a less serious touch to the whole which could be actually good ^^

RedSlash
Veteran

#6 Post by RedSlash »

Implement a street fighter-type combat system!!!

I always like interesting twists and turns in games.. keeps things more interesting. I'll be looking forward to the progress in the summer.
I'm just wondering, is there a reason you chose the period 1968-1974?

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#7 Post by Counter Arts »

Implement a street fighter-type combat system!!!
Oh... unless you understand terms like "invinciblity frames" and "priority"... you have a long way to go. Game balence is a royal pain unless you restrict it to story events. Hehehe...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

Great idea on the matial arts system.

just one thing.... I hate tacklers! especially the ground and pound guys of mixed martial arts tournaments.

will there be use of ki and stuff? like ryo's kouken and blocking, i've never seen a satisfying system of defending in rpg style combat, it mostly depends on your stats and equipment.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Budoka

#9 Post by Budoka »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the huge response. Answering some questions:

1. As I mentioned before, the 1960s saw the birth of Kyokushin Karate Do, and in its infancy, strikes to the face were allowed in kumite. Since I want to create realistic hand to hand fighting in this game, I felt that it was important to not eliminate that venue.

2. Regarding use of ki and such, your energy level is determined by the character's aerobic fitness level (as determined by the game), and taking into account VO2 levels (as determined by the game), and some other variables, will allow you to have effective second winds while keeping everything realistic. I'm currently tweaking the fight-engine so fighters block effectively - its based on height, distance, position, and leverage. As I said, I'm on track to release a small demo featuring the fight engine and a preliminary Ren'Ai engine near the end of may, beginning of june.

Cheers,

Lee (Budoka)

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#10 Post by F.I.A »

Why start renai only at later years? You know you can implement some childhood relations with these settings. :lol:

Include the Invisible Kick of Mount Pray! :D