Pickles and Strawberries[DEMO~ :D]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Snow Blossom
Veteran

Re: Pickles and Strawberries

#31 Post by Snow Blossom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 pm

The sprites look adorable! And 26 menus?? Wow, I don't have much to judge by, but it sounds like a lot! *A* Keep up the good work!

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#32 Post by RemnantDream » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:04 am

Rewritten Ennui wrote:
RemnantDream wrote:Wanna know how I came up with the idea for this and the name? I came home from school today with a migraine. I was hungry so I went and got a pickle. Then I saw a bowl of strawberries and took one and ate it. I had just finished eating the pickle so I could still taste the pickleyness when I ate the strawberry. It tasted soooo weird o_O And I was just like "Those should not go together! They're like sweet and sour." and somehow I was just "That'd be a cool VN. A really sweet popular girl and a rude loner guy."
AND THUS PICKLES AND STRAWBERRIES WAS BORN.
*_* I am in awe of your amazing ability to get inspiration from such an unexpected source. I'd like to say that genius is spontaneous, but I wish I could come up with something this cool at will. Fo' realz, man. Pickles and Strawberries is pure brilliance :D

I will be stalking watching this game. It has a good concept, and not that many VNs let you explore other character POVs. Plus the characters seem so... alive. I think Gina is going to be my favorite :3
Thank you :3 I get inspired by the strangest things xD

Yaaay a stalker follower :D
Gina is my favorite. But I am definitely not biased, in any way whatsoever >_>
Snow Blossom wrote:The sprites look adorable! And 26 menus?? Wow, I don't have much to judge by, but it sounds like a lot! *A* Keep up the good work!
Ugh, I know.. I think I may have done a bit much >_> In the actual game, there are 29 menus only on Corey's path xD In the demo, you play as all four, so you have choices to make for all of them. The majority of it is Corey, because I've written his path xD
But thank you :D

And, to show you how it's going to look, here's some screen shots from Corey's path :D
screenshot0001.png
screenshot0002.png
Ah, Corey.. such a gentleman.

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#33 Post by modesty » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:33 pm

You had me at the title. Amazingly hilarious and eye catching. I love pickles. :3
And the characters sound fascinating. Hope things continue to go well. I'm going to watch this one.

gothic~ichigo
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries; Words Within Our Hearts

#34 Post by gothic~ichigo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Aaaw, see my sprites here, with bg and dialogue, gives me strange feelings<3 xD
~ M y D e v i a n t a r t G a l l e r y ~
http://gothicichigo.deviantart.com/gallery/
~I'm currently working on Pickles and Strawberries' CGs and Words Within Our Hearts's sprites
~Reserved for CutieHoney's and jory014's next project and for give an hand to DarkSpartan

RemnantDream
Veteran

#35 Post by RemnantDream » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 pm

modesty wrote:You had me at the title. Amazingly hilarious and eye catching. I love pickles. :3
And the characters sound fascinating. Hope things continue to go well. I'm going to watch this one.
Awh thank you :D
Pickles are amazing.
gothic~ichigo wrote:Aaaw, see my sprites here, with bg and dialogue, gives me strange feelings<3 xD
:D You did a great job.

Good news~ Demo is finally donee :D
*sigh*
This was supposed to be a small project T-T

LadyAvori
Regular

Re: Pickles and Strawberries[DEMO]

#36 Post by LadyAvori » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:53 pm

*Stalks this Thread from behind the bush*

Yep I can't wait for this one, it looks awesome

:)

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

Re: Pickles and Strawberries[DEMO~ :D]

#37 Post by Rewritten Ennui » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

I just downloaded the demo, and I'm in love with it.

Corey: Bitch.
Gina: I know. Now get up.

Corey is so cool XD

Edit: Oh wait, I found another tidbit of awesome.

Teacher: Wait..who are you?
Corey: Corey..
Teacher: How long have you been there?
Corey: You've been my teacher for three years now.
Teacher: Really?
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

kersplode
Regular
Projects: Keep On Creepin' On

#38 Post by kersplode » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:12 am

ooh yes demo gimmie gimmie! ♥
so right from the main menu, here's an error: I clicked config and then I couldn't go back. I had to exit. welp. I really like corey, and coreyxgina~ even gina's mum ships it! :D and if you really want criticism, I just found david a tad boring...? I feel like his speech needs more personality, I guess.
I'm super looking forward to the release~! :D

RemnantDream
Veteran

#39 Post by RemnantDream » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:01 am

@ Rewritten Ennui: Thank youu :D I adore Corey

@ kersplode: Hm.. well I'll try to fix that later today then.
And David.. yeah. I've had problems writing about him. I've been working on giving him a bit more personality >_>

gothic~ichigo
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries; Words Within Our Hearts

#40 Post by gothic~ichigo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:16 am

I've found an error:
I was playing Becca's route and declined David's invite... immediately later started the david's route and the game closed by itself and the Notebook opened with this message:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

NameError: name 'meetdavid' is not defined

While running game code:
- script at line 75 of C:\Users\Meghan\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\P&Sdemo/game/david.rpy
- python at line 75 of C:\Users\Meghan\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\P&Sdemo/game/david.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\Grishnackh\Documenti\Download\P&Sdemo-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 279, in bootstrap
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Grishnackh\Documenti\Download\P&Sdemo-all\renpy\main.py", line 320, in main
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Grishnackh\Documenti\Download\P&Sdemo-all\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Grishnackh\Documenti\Download\P&Sdemo-all\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Grishnackh\Documenti\Download\P&Sdemo-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1321, in execute
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Grishnackh\Documenti\Download\P&Sdemo-all\renpy\python.py", line 994, in py_eval
File "C:\Users\Meghan\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\P&Sdemo/game/david.rpy", line 75, in <module>
NameError: name 'meetdavid' is not defined

While running game code:
- script at line 75 of C:\Users\Meghan\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\P&Sdemo/game/david.rpy
- python at line 75 of C:\Users\Meghan\Downloads\renpy-6.12.0\P&Sdemo/game/david.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.12.0e

~ M y D e v i a n t a r t G a l l e r y ~
http://gothicichigo.deviantart.com/gallery/
~I'm currently working on Pickles and Strawberries' CGs and Words Within Our Hearts's sprites
~Reserved for CutieHoney's and jory014's next project and for give an hand to DarkSpartan

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#41 Post by ririruetoo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:32 pm

I actually downloaded the demo on a whim! I wasn't in the mood to play a demo, but for some reason I downloaded this. I'm glad I did! Its such a unique game! I've certainly never played anything like it!

Favorite Parings~

CoreyxBecca
GinaxDavid

I love when opposites attract!
ImageImageImage

OTM
Regular
Projects: Oubo

#42 Post by OTM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 pm

I played the demo but didn't find any errors (but I didn't play it that extensively so maybe i missed them) it's a bit weird transitioning between four characters to me. I'm kind of uncomfortable with it because I like Corey, Gina and Becca (not so much David) but figuring out who they end up with is just odd for me. But I still enjoyed the demo!

I especially love Gina <3

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#43 Post by Snow Blossom » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm

I agree with OTM on the transitions. Sometimes before the transition, there would be images of the narrator, which I found really helpful, but mostly, they weren't there. D: Also,
during the fight between Corey and David, two of Gina's sprites are shown and layered on top of each other, which was kind of weird...
Aside from that though, I absolutely adored the demo. So much dry wit XD
Favorite pairing: definitely GinaXCorey.

RemnantDream
Veteran

#44 Post by RemnantDream » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:58 pm

@gothic~ichigo: Fixed it :D Thank you.

@ririruetoo: I'm glad you liked it :D I do like CoreyxBecca but CoreyxGina is still my favorite <3 nope, definitely not biased >_>

@OTM: I know what you mean. I wasn't very happy with doing it like that, where it goes from one to the next, but the was the easiest way for me to make a demo. In the actual game, you pick a person and play throughout the entire story from their POV.

@LadyAvori(sorry I just now replied :3): Thank you :D *peers behind bush*

I know I really need to work on David.. I wasn't too happy with him. I'm working on adding a bit of personality to him right now.

Updated Demo(also updated on first post)

@Snow Blossom: Fuuuu- I just put up another version and then noticed your post >_< Don't have time to fix that now. Urgh..
Really? I thought there was always an image of the person o.o Sometimes if you click too fast, it'll skip it. But I often make mistakes, so I may have skipped a few.
Thank you XD

People seem to like Gina and Corey..

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#45 Post by Rewritten Ennui » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm

RemnantDream wrote:People seem to like Gina and Corey..
It is because... *long drumroll* they are the canon couple. Let me use my powers of crack reasoning and logic to prove to all of you why...

1) The title of the game is Pickles and Strawberries.
Quoth RemnantDream, "[Pickles and strawberries] should not go together!" As you all can see from the character art, Corey's color scheme is green while Becca's is pink. Corey is the metaphorical pickle and Becca is the metaphorical strawberry. Thus, Corey is incompatible with Becca!

2)Corey and Gina were
childhood friends
It all makes sense now, doesn't it?!
Childhood friends
always end up falling in love, especially when they have been
separated for 10 years, only to meet again in high school.
3)David will win Becca back.
And he will do so in a manly way.

4)Gina's mom also ships them.
She totally wanted them to do it. There is dialogue to support it!

Now you are all convinced :mrgreen:
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website