Pickles and Strawberries[DEMO~ :D]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

Pickles and Strawberries[DEMO~ :D]

#1 Post by RemnantDream »

Four people, each alike and different in their own ways, never thought that they would be involved with each other in anyway. However in an odd turn of events, the four see each other more often in a few weeks then they had in years.

Corey:
Corey is very lazy and stubborn. He's very sarcastic and quiet. He sleeps in every class but somehow manages to make some of the best grades. He is basically your average high school outcast, except for the fact that he doesn't mind. In fact, he would rather be alone. However, he does have one friend, his neighbor, Gina. Although the two fight and insult each other, they remain friends. But one day when friendly cheerleader Becca decides to be friends with Corey, it turns his world upside down.

Gina:
Gina is very hard-headed and stubborn. With a quick and sarcastic tongue, she often says things without meaning to. She remains very calm in situations unless Corey is involved. At the beginning of junior year, Gina decided to try to become friends with Corey again. Gina has the highest grades in the entire junior class. When Becca suddenly takes an interest in Corey, Gina struggles with encouraging Corey to go after her or finally standing up for what she wants.

Becca:
Becca is light-hearted and care-free, always smiling. She is one of the most popular girls in the school but she hasn't let her popularity get to her head too much. It is her kind heart that spurs her to approach Corey at first. After awhile though, she may grow to enjoy his company.

David:
David is very proud. Especially when it comes to his body. If there is a problem, David likes to solve it the manly way. Although he can be an asshat, he can be sweet when he wants to be. While trying to win Becca back, he meets Gina who is trying her best to turn him from his "macho" ways.

You choose how each person ends up. Play as all four and try to see how many different ending you can get. It's up to you to decide who each will end up with. Will Corey and Becca end up together? Will David finally win over Becca? Will Gina and Corey realize they want to be more than friends? You get to play as all four of the people which means you get to see some things from different perspectives and some entirely new things depending on who you play as. Maybe you'll find the true ending? (Yes, there is one true ending that's the same for all four paths :o)

Script: 40%
Sprites: 100% - thanks to gothic~ichigo :D
BG: 50%
CG: 0% (May not have them. Depending on if I can get an artist)
Music: I'm not even sure where I am with this. I have some stuff I maaay use.

Demo v1.1
Demo Statistics:
The game contains 1,692 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 9,903 words,
for an average of 5.9 words per screen.
The game contains 27 menus.
Sadly, the only music on the demo is from the piano. I'm still looking some music so go with it, so bear with me please ^-^
Length: 1-1.5 hours, depending on your choices
Last edited by RemnantDream on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.

dubunny

Re: Pickles and Strawberries

#2 Post by dubunny »

This sounds quite interesting, it's a cool idea to be able to play as the 4 characters and see their POVs :) Good luck!

redcat
Regular

#3 Post by redcat »

^
Very interesting indeed. Not many VN allows player to see the same story from different perspectives.
Btw, is this going to be a linear VN?
Meowwngg...??

RemnantDream
Veteran

#4 Post by RemnantDream »

@dubunny: Thanks ^_^

@redcat: I feel retarded but what's a linear VN? I'm still new to this..>_<

redcat
Regular

#5 Post by redcat »

@RemnantDream--> Linear VN (or Kinetic Novel) is a VN that doesn't have much interactivity with the player (by interactivity I meant that the player can make choices that would affect the flow of the story and how the story ends). Basically, it's a story with single ending.... just like a real novel.

Good samples of Linear VNs are Narcissu and True Remembrance.

Looking at the description, your story is not a linear VN, but I'm curious since you're going to use different POVs...
Last edited by redcat on Mon May 16, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meowwngg...??

RemnantDream
Veteran

#6 Post by RemnantDream »

Okaay. That's what I thought it was but I wanted to make sure.

No, this is not like that. There are actually a lot of choices. There will be multiple endings, depending on what you pick.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#7 Post by Snow Blossom »

This looks really interesting! I love it when you can play multiple characters in the same story ^^
RemnantDream wrote: There are actually a lot of choices. There will be multiple endings, depending on what you pick.
Hooray for multiple choices! :D

RemnantDream
Veteran

#8 Post by RemnantDream »

Snow Blossom wrote:This looks really interesting! I love it when you can play multiple characters in the same story ^^
I do tooo! :D

I fail..xD I have a whole lot of big products planned. I started this one today because I wanted to do a small project. But then I was like "What if you could play as Becca too?" and somehow, Gina and David ended up in the mix too. xD

Interesting tidbit...

Wanna know how I came up with the idea for this and the name? I came home from school today with a migraine. I was hungry so I went and got a pickle. Then I saw a bowl of strawberries and took one and ate it. I had just finished eating the pickle so I could still taste the pickleyness when I ate the strawberry. It tasted soooo weird o_O And I was just like "Those should not go together! They're like sweet and sour." and somehow I was just "That'd be a cool VN. A really sweet popular girl and a rude loner guy."
AND THUS PICKLES AND STRAWBERRIES WAS BORN.
Last edited by RemnantDream on Mon May 16, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redcat
Regular

#9 Post by redcat »

^
Ah, so that's where the title come from... :lol:

Btw, how do you plan to do the POV-switching?
Is it in mid game (like in Narcissu & True Remembrance)?
Or we're going to play as Corey first until the end of the game, then we re-play the game as Gina, and so-on?
Meowwngg...??

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#10 Post by Snow Blossom »

RemnantDream wrote:
Interesting tidbit...

Wanna know how I came up with the idea for this and the name? I can home from school today with a migraine. I was hungry so I went and got a pickle. Then I saw a bowl of strawberries and took one and ate it. I had just finished eating the pickle so I could still taste the pickleyness when I ate the strawberry. It tasted soooo weird o_O And I was just like "Those should not go together! They're like sweet and sour." and somehow I was just "That'd be a cool VN. A really sweet popular girl and a rude loner guy."
AND THUS PICKLES AND STRAWBERRIES WAS BORN.
BEST WAY OF ACHIEVING INSPIRATION EVER. XD

RemnantDream
Veteran

#11 Post by RemnantDream »

redcat wrote:^
Btw, how do you plan to do the POV-switching?
Is it in mid game (like in Narcissu & True Remembrance)?
Or we're going to play as Corey first until the end of the game, then we re-play the game as Gina, and so-on?
Each time you play you can only play as one person. So if you want to get all the endings/paths, you're probably gonna have to play it multiple times.
Snow Blossom wrote: BEST WAY OF ACHIEVING INSPIRATION EVER. XD
I'm very proud of how odd I am xDD I often think like that. Start off thinking of, say kittens, and end up thinking of serial killers having a tea party or something like that xP

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#12 Post by Snow Blossom »

RemnantDream wrote:
Snow Blossom wrote: BEST WAY OF ACHIEVING INSPIRATION EVER. XD
I'm very proud of how odd I am xDD I often think like that. Start off thinking of, say kittens, and end up thinking of serial killers having a tea party or something like that xP
RANDOMNESS. XD
I wish I could think up stories that way; for me, it usually takes weeks of planning just to come up with one workable idea TTWTT

RemnantDream
Veteran

#13 Post by RemnantDream »

You have no idea how many stories and books I've started off random impulses o_o I end throwing most away cause they're crappy xDD But the most random things give me ideas.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#14 Post by Snow Blossom »

Lol keep it up! :lol:
RemnantDream wrote: I fail..xD I have a whole lot of big products planned. I started this one today because I wanted to do a small project. But then I was like "What if you could play as Becca too?" and somehow, Gina and David ended up in the mix too. xD
Yeah same~ I always make up "What if"s and end up planning out a story that's too long for my own good... :oops: Glad that you stuck with this one though! :D

RemnantDream
Veteran

#15 Post by RemnantDream »

Yaaay! gothic~ichigo has done some great sketches of the characters and I just thought I'd show you her awesome work ^_^
coreygina.jpg
beccadavid.jpg
I love themm :D

And, as an update, I'm still working on Corey's path -__- I decided to make it longer than it needs be. Buut I'm nearly almost done~
Last edited by RemnantDream on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.