Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - updated JULY 11, 2012

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer

#16 Post by babyfish »

Wow, thanks for the encouragement guys. I had reservations at first about posting a WIP thread when I barely got started, but your comments have really brought my motivation up! *bows to all of you*

So I have some screenshots of what I have so far for a user interface, and great news - it works pretty well! Of course, I'll modify it depending on people's input, and naturally the UI graphics aren't final (though they do look pretty nice right now, I think)

As you can probably guess, all I did was modify my way through the DSE framework.... *bows to the ground at PyTom's feet* ...to something that suits my needs. If I can come up with something better than the DSE, I'll roll with that, though given my lack of programming knowledge at the moment, that's highly unlikely. XD

...Oh! And I even got an inventory system working! It's real primitive, but hey, so far it works for what I want it to do. *so proud of self*
(btw, the potion is just a test item to test stat increases, I seriously doubt it'll turn up in the final version.)

... The schedule options and stats are not final, I'm still working out which stats to use and how I'm going to handle time period actions and so forth. But we'll see how it turns out.

...Note to self: get a better font.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#17 Post by Snow Blossom »

Ooh inventory! Does the potion mean magical potion? Cuz I love magical settings... 8)
... As well as Dante's helmet!
P.S.: I love the MC's uniform! It looks like she's sprouted wings... :P *drifts into la-la-land*

Rana

#18 Post by Rana »

Hi, I just strongly felt the urge to tell you that this is one of the most beautiful sims I've seen in a long time :D
I love the idea and I adore the character design, it looks perfect.. Epecially Alexius and Dante ~

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#19 Post by Boniae »

I'm so jealous of your customization/programming skills, I could never do anything like that with the DSE! *w*

Wooah, now that I'm seeing the screenshot...I really want to play this game!1!! >w< (It's like looking in the window of a candy store! XD)

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#20 Post by Nellie »

Wow wow wow... I really like this story setting. The characters are interesting, and lovely graphics too! Looking forward to it! =D

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#21 Post by SilverxBlue »

Wow..! *claps and cries at the same time.*
This one is just so darn good..!
And I noticed the old lady together with her daughters post and I can't help but be reminded of Cinderella. :lol:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#22 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Very beautiful art, very old-school shojo style. I really like the interface too, especially the sun-dail. It fits in really well with the game you are setting up. one very, very minor quibble is that the text is not properly aligned in the inventory. But apart from that it is very pretty. I look forward to what you produce :)

babyfish
Veteran

#23 Post by babyfish »

Ahahah, yeah, the text is pretty funky on the inventory screen, I was just so happy that it was actually functional that I pretty much forgot all about the additional little details. I'll fix that up in a bit, of course.

And yes, the premise and setting elements will be very reminiscent of the classic tale Cinderella, this was rather intentional. However, things will be a little different. All magical elements will be removed, and the heroine will have to do pretty much all of the legwork in order to achieve her dream. Plus her luck is a little worse off than that of Cinderella. XD;; Of course, she'll have people on her side, but she's not going to have anything handed to her without good reason. :) No supernatural intervention here, folks.

Well... there IS the fortune teller, but everyone knows she's just an old bat, right...?

There's probably going to also be a super-sketchy blackmarket sort of shop that pretty much sells literal miracles in a box or a bottle. You'll probably have to go LOLHAX on your wallet before you'll be able to get your hands on them though....
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

kkffoo
Regular
Completed: Tea For Two [KN]

#24 Post by kkffoo »

I'm blown away by your artwork!
Interesting characters too.

Celestie
Veteran

#25 Post by Celestie »

...is this an one-man project? Wow. Because, programming, scrpwriting and drawing at the same...everything looks fine. Especially the artwork, the characters look pretty, the coloring soft and nice....*A* I'd love it if this turns out to be a real game~

(Not-constructive reply is not constructive at all~)
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

babyfish
Veteran

#26 Post by babyfish »

Yes, this will be mostly a solo project. :) I sort of like having control over the direction of the project, plus I can go completely at my own pace. I won't be able to finish this project any time soon, due to taking classes and having two part time jobs, etc, so I'd rather not frustrate others by going at a turtle's pace. XD

This is something I sort of do in my spare time, for fun. :)

And again, thanks for the support. XD The programming bits were a real challenge to bluff through, but usually I'm patient (or stubborn) enough to make something work. XD I did get a lot of help by looking through the past threads of the Ren'Py Help Forums.

Any and all comments are appreciated, constructive or not. :) The constructive ones are good for practical purposes, praise is also good for motivation, and I admit I'm sort of a sucker for it. XD

Flames make me sad though.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

#27 Post by Arithra »

This is amazing!
I'm really impressed!
There are so many characters and the interface and the art look amazing!

And don't really know what to say except that I will be anticipating every update. And I don't think you need to worry about workiing slow. that only means that it will come out a lot better than a rushed game!
Please visit my projects Perios- Chained Sorceress
and Final Banquet now with demo!

And my blog for more updates!

stellacisem
Regular

#28 Post by stellacisem »

wow... my mouth is wide open. Are you sure you're doing this for free? :O Ahem *cough* I just wanted to comment on this so much I didn't even read the other posts and comments after reading the summary and seeing the character arts(What were they called? maybe sprites?). so can you tell me how much have you progressed on this? If you need any help, please don't be shy. I personally would be honored to help you if you need. :) oh and please don't rush this, I fear that many games which are rushed turn out to be... a shame towards the end of the game. Uh, I seem to be saying this a lot...^x^
I waited for [more than] ten years, eleven months, thirty days, 12 hours and 26 minutes. then i finally had to admit i wasn't getting an acceptance letter from Hogwarts.

Arcanum
Veteran

#29 Post by Arcanum »

Oh my god. This is simply incredible - I'm astonished that you're doing everything on your own. That's what I call talent and hard work! Everything is simply stunning: the art, the colors, and daaaamn, that interface is gorgeous. I'm drooling all over the place - not only it looks pretty, it also looks detailed as hell. So many characters, and such a level of interactivity o0o!

Which characters will the heroine be able to pursuit? Also - I definitely vote yes on the possibility of some GxG romance! Aaaand so far my favorite male character is Seth. But you have such an interesting cast.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#30 Post by Fawn »

Oooo this looks so gooooddd :D Yaay!