Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - updated JULY 11, 2012

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer

#61 Post by babyfish »

Not sure how to code hover text, but I'll try to look into it somewhere. In the meantime though....

Finally figured out how to keep both the name and the stats label together. The dse arranges each stat line in a grid so there's only space for three items, left, center, and right. Luckily using hbox solved the problem. Of course the meter is shorter now, but that's not a huge deal.

Does that look better? Should I arrange the icons in a different way...? Or keep it like that?
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Arcanum
Veteran

#62 Post by Arcanum »

Ahh, it looks so good. I'm awed at how good you're with this. Each time I see it, it looks even better. I think it's great the way it is, since the icons will be aligned.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#63 Post by Riviera »

I agree, it looks great the way it is. :D
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

stellacisem
Regular

#64 Post by stellacisem »

it looks even better in my opinion!! :D but why is the sign after 'cunning' is slightly different from the others?
I waited for [more than] ten years, eleven months, thirty days, 12 hours and 26 minutes. then i finally had to admit i wasn't getting an acceptance letter from Hogwarts.

babyfish
Veteran

#65 Post by babyfish »

It's different because I was verifying that each stat used its own image, instead of all referring to the same one.

Either way, here are the icons, quickly thrown together in two hours, but what do you guys think?

I think I'll be using the large icons as well for something. They're pretty cute I think. This was such a good idea! =3 Thanks Aleema~

Oh, and the icons are pretty much a teapot, a mop and broom, a book and quill, a music note and flower symbol a handmirror, and a fan. I had to keep them pretty simple, since they needed to be shrunk down to an itty bitty size.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#66 Post by Aleema »

I really like the icons. :D

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#67 Post by Riviera »

Very cute! Is the Courtesy one a fan?

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#68 Post by Glasskitten »

*bookmark'd* :D
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#69 Post by sake-bento »

Love those icons. They're adorable. The GUI in general is so lovely. *_*

babyfish
Veteran

#70 Post by babyfish »

Yeah, Courtesy is a fan, I thought that it would be the simplest design to use for that stat. Glad you guys like~
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

babyfish
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JUNE 4TH, '11

#71 Post by babyfish »

Hi folks, *waves*

So I haven't had much time to work on my game this week, since I'm enrolled for classes in the summer, plus I have two part-time jobs to handle, but everyday I'm doing at least something. Usually small things, bits and pieces. But it's progress, right?

I managed to finish the background for the Heroine's room, right here:

I'm not accustomed to doing backgrounds, this is pretty much my first dive into background cg's, and my biggest effort so far in illustrating backgrounds period. Not really used to doing fancy things yet, but I'll keep practicing and see how well I do.

Man, I really need to be a jack of all trades to tackle this project. @_@

In any case, I might as well talk a bit about gameplay, and the sort of actions I hope to make available for your Maid character, and maybe get your input on the ideas I have. Oh, and I'll sort out actions according to the people involved, since there is a character that is important to every action.

We'll start with your basic duties. These involve your co-workers, Katya and Edward.

Katya
You'll spend the early morning doing housekeeping on the parlour floor under the strict supervision of Katya. She's not the most easy person to work with, but she'll approve of you if you do a good job. If she likes you enough, she'll give you some rather helpful advice.

Edward
In the evenings, you'll be assisting Edward with dinner service, helping out in the kitchen, waiting on tables and so on. The nature of this work is stressful, but Edward is always helpful. If you're friends with him, he'll like make tea, hot chocolate, or some special snack for you. ;)

During the afternoon between housekeeping and dinner service, you have free time. This can be spent relaxing with Molly or going shopping in town, both of which relieve stress. However, it will be to your great advantage to put in the extra effort and either do overtime with Katya and Edward, OR perform tasks to assist the five gentlemen. ;) Not only will it raise your skills, but it has a chance to build relationships with them and other benefits.

Seth
Seth is overworked with the task of having to manage his family's Earldom from afar, AND making preparations for the Midsummer Festival. You'll help him greatly if you hit the desk and finish the paperwork and other administrative tasks that he no longer has the time to do himself. This work demands precision and sharp-mindedness, but if Seth is satisfied with your work, he'll give you a small break, as well as access to his personal library.

Alexius
The Midsummer Ball is approaching and the Crown Prince is expected to make his appearance. That said, the Royal Family is in a bit of a panic, because the restless Alexius has not yet learned how to dance....and has absolutely no interest! Therefore, it is up to you to be his practice partner and prevent his attention from wandering. If a practice session goes well enough, Alexius may invite you to spend the rest of the afternoon walking around town with him.

Gabriel
The High Commissioner of Arcadia is often in the lounge enjoying himself, either having drinks or gambling with the other diplomats. This comes as no surprise, as he is a notorious libertine. As much as it lacks propriety, you'll please Gabriel if you serve drinks in the lounge and entertain the various guests there, with wit and charm in your arsenal. If you manage to get all of Gabriel's attention, he may suddenly ask to have you all to himself...

Luke
Luke usually spends the middle of the day out in the gardens. Rumors say that he is still recovering from some sort of ailment or illness, and that he was recommended fresh air for his health. ...And yet he seems rather depressed and despondent, and his relationship with his fiancee is no better. Try to cheer him up by serving tea and cake. If he likes your company, he might ask you to join him for tea in the gardens, perhaps he needs someone to talk to.

Dante
The Knight Captain frequently leads a strict, full-day training regimen with the other knights in preparation for the upcoming tournament. Maintaining the armor and equipment may mean the difference between victory and defeat, but also costs precious time, so it is up to you to help out. So long as you're not a distraction, Dante may let you watch the practice duels and even cheer the knights on - they seem to respond well to a young maid's encouragement.

All of these tasks will raise a little stress, but will also help you improve your skills and relationships with other people.

Hope that tidbit was juicy enough for you~
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Arcanum
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JUNE 4TH, '11

#72 Post by Arcanum »

That background is neat as all the new information! It's really impressive, can't tell it's your first… And it matches the character so well. I'm seriously excited, gosh… I can't believe how much effort you're putting into this game, even when you're working so much IRL.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Re: [WIP] Maid of Midsummer - UPDATED JUNE 4TH, '11

#73 Post by teacup »

This looks sooo pro! Man, I wish I had your skills. If this game ends up to be commercial, I will most definitely buy it.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#74 Post by manga_otaku »

Urgh. I read somewhere this is your first roll with Ren'Py? And you have amazing sprites, story ideas and GUI?

>3<"

*hides in corner*

*thinks*

*stays in corner, but waves little flag - "When's the demo?!"*
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#75 Post by Riviera »

I'm right behind you, manga_otaku. I've proofread some scripts that had the ren'py coding in them, and I boggled just at that.

And I'll eventually have to tackle that? *faints like a delicate little otome heroine*