Loren Amazon Princess RPG

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Loren Amazon Princess RPG

#16 Post by fleet »

I like the middle one. I wish you success with this venture.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

#17 Post by SilverHyena »

jack_norton wrote: Note also that there will be semi-naked boys too so everyone is happy ;)
Huzzah! :mrgreen: (I'm all for equality, hah.)

I like the first background best. The second one is good too. The third one is my least favorite, but I'm wondering if that mainly has to do with the color scheme... I do kind of like the reds with your druid girl.

But yeah, whatever sort of background you choose, I would most likely play this game. I love RPGs and it looks beautiful so far!

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#18 Post by Snow Blossom »

I preferred the second background, which was in between the first and third one (not in terms of order lol)
The third one seemed a bit too cheerful and sparkly, while the first one was a bit too frightening :?

Really good art! Looking forward to this! ^^

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#19 Post by jack_norton »

Thanks :) still long way to go though. I realized maybe shouldn't have used that seminaked image as test, apologize if offended anyone ^_^; I'm getting a "more leaves" version right now to use in the "clean version" of the game.
Well, next screens will feature some boys then so everyone is happy :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#20 Post by VenusEclipse »

I'm not into revealing girls but she's pretty.

And if you're still up for background opinions, I like the second one better. I feel the background is "too real."

Dunceney
Regular
Completed: Untold Myth 1st Tale
Projects: Untold Myth 2nd Tale

#21 Post by Dunceney »

If it were me, I like it better when background and character has similar style, since it won't make it looks kinda out of place.

But... your skill is on whole different level than me lol. So I pick the first one, usually backgrounds are more detailed than the sprites :D

I'm kinda curious about the 4th style that you mentioned~ :3

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Riviera »

I like #2 best, myself.

Semi-naked is fine with me, depending on the context (and this fits fine). Completely naked is when it starts (for me) turning into a piece of ero. :lol:
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Dunceney
Regular
Completed: Untold Myth 1st Tale
Projects: Untold Myth 2nd Tale

#23 Post by Dunceney »

Riviera wrote:I like #2 best, myself.

Semi-naked is fine with me, depending on the context (and this fits fine). Completely naked is when it starts (for me) turning into a piece of ero. :lol:
Still, you will be branded as ero-person if you play a game with lot of semi-naked contents in public lol

Well... depends on the scale of this "Semi" that we talking about though XDD

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by jack_norton »

Lol no, there aren't completely naked characters in the game. At least, you don't see them wandering around as their "normal outfit" :D
computer games

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Riviera »

Yeah... no covering at all in day-to-day adventuring life could lead to discomfort and very bad things (tm). XD
Dunceney wrote:
Riviera wrote:I like #2 best, myself.

Still, you will be branded as ero-person if you play a game with lot of semi-naked contents in public lol

Well... depends on the scale of this "Semi" that we talking about though XDD
True, true, but some folks will walk on a kiss scene and declare it an ero! :lol:

Umm.. As long as all the major bits are covered I consider it semi. My standards are probably more flexible than most, though!
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by jack_norton »

I'm going forward with the game rules, but I have a big doubt: semi real-time or classic turn based combat ?
I made a forum thread: http://www.winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1801
but of course you can reply here too :) any feedback/suggestion is welcome.
computer games

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#27 Post by Anima »

Hm, that's a tough one.
First off, your question is not between real time or turn based, it's between two different kinds of turn based. The execution might be in real time, but player actions are strictly turn based.
The TB execution gives the player a high amount of control, since he can quickly react to changing circumstances. It also ensures a more even distribution of player control, since he can give commands when ever one of his characters has a turn.
The RT execution gives a higher amount of suspense, since control is taken away from the player during a critical time. The flip side is of course that this can lead to frustration if things go sour. It also requires more strategical thinking, since every action must be planned at the beginning. This has of course all the strengths and pitfalls of increasing difficulty. Programming the AI will also be much more difficult.
Some players may also dislike giving a lot of orders without feedback, mostly those players who aren't fond of strategical thinking.
You'll definitely need to make a GUI that assist the player in making these decisions and gives him feedback.
But RT execution allows the characters to interact in a way TB can't or can't elegantly. For example combos.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by jack_norton »

Well personally I prefer pure turn based, but the recent trend seems the semi-realtime one, many fellow indies are using it (Gratuitous Space Battles, Frozen Synapse, etc). Though I'm starting to think that the semi-realtime is going to be a real pain to code so maybe I'll just use the TB one :)
computer games

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#29 Post by Anima »

That's a kinda questionable reason, don't you think? (Ha, lecture time. :wink: )
If you consider Gratuitous Space Battles, the game is clearly divided in two phases. In the first you build a fleet and in the second you see how well it fares in combat. But your only control over the outcome is in the first phase.
So, I would argue that the second phase isn't even a game in itself. It's a reward for doing well in the first phase. This accomplishes the main goal of the game, showing grand space battles quite well. So why the first phase, on a quick glance it seems superfluous. But it creates an emotional investment in the battles outcome, without creating a story. The player cares and wants his fleet to win.
Giving the player control in the second phase would actually cheapen the experience, since he could not concentrate on following the epic battle unfolding before him.

I don't think blindly following a trend, without examining its reasons, is advisable. Especially if it creates more work and may even cheapen the experience of your game.
Besides, Real Time is not one of Ren'Pys strengths. You might even need to branch out into pygame with Ren'Py as Front-End.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by jack_norton »

well it would appear real-time but in practice it would just run a queue of predefined events (calculated every turn). So I could make it without using pygame, but still would be quite hard. After the 6 months I spent coding Planet Stronghold I'm looking forward to some more relaxing time so I think will go with turnbased ^_^;
computer games