Looking for help

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Jinnai
Regular

Looking for help

#1 Post by Jinnai »

I'm looking for someone who could do some Tenchi graphics for my game...that's what i'm doing, a Tenchi Muyo! Date sim (which i've been wanting to do for some time seeing as there is none in english atleast...and its a perfect game for it).

I could do the graphics as i'm good at drawing, but sadly, I don't have a tablet.

I'm also looking for someone who is good at remixing music so i can get perhaps some good Tenchi Muyo! remixes to add to the game.

And somone to help me figure out what stats to use (i want as few as possible, but enough that each girl would have 3-4 varying stats...this is harder than it sounds, esepcially since I'm going to be using girls from multiple Tenchi storylines)

And lastly someone to help me set up my DSE GUI would be nice. I've figured out a decent amount thanks to the DSE demo and help from the Ren'Py forum (and learned that everything I want can't be had yet). I think once i can get this done i can do the rest of the coding myself.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Tenchi Muyo dating game ? Yay :D

I'm not sure what kind of "stats" you want though. Usually only "love points" would be used... what else do you have in mind ? (maybe it's the exact thing you're asking about but uh... unless you go with "strength, magic, ...", I don't see what other stats would help.

Jinnai
Regular

#3 Post by Jinnai »

It would be based somewhat more around like True Love, which is why i am glad Ren'Py came out because they have a DSE mode (and am glad a demo was made of it. That really helps...) Though figuring out how to set it up is still a bit complex, which is why i asked help in coding specifically that part. I already have grasped enough of the way to change variables and fire events based on the DSE engine, including with some randomness.

So yes i'll be using a lot of variables as i'll be having a lot of girls from the various series.

Right now i have:
days (non-girl related)
stamina (non-girl related)
cash (non-girl related...maybe)
strength
intelligence
Jurai (similar to magic)

will probably add:
Luck
Align

maybe some more non-girl related ones as well.

though i'm not sure...that's why i need help as I want some of the girls to be extremely hard to get requiring several stats at key locations. None of them using less than 2 stats at key locations, preferably 3.

And i'll make this even more replayable by adding new girls to unlock once you beat the game.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

yea... I wish I had a drawing tablet too, but why not just use photo-edited actual tenchi muyo images?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Jinnai
Regular

#5 Post by Jinnai »

lordcloudx wrote:yea... I wish I had a drawing tablet too, but why not just use photo-edited actual tenchi muyo images?
For some it might not be bad, but I'd like to have originals. I could use them as placeholders, but just copying and inserting images i can find on the web right now doesn't appeal to me. Plus a few would have to be drawn (i will be having a few in camero and/or romanceable appearing only in manga and video games perhaps). And i'd like to keep the art style conistant as possible.

Plus it would be hard to do any major emotion change for characters onscreen with the avatar images without an easy way for me to redraw them.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

I'd like to use this occasion to ask a more general question : what do people think of fan-games using official art ?

Jinnai : you say you're good at drawing but don't have a tablet... What's the problem exactly ? You can't color or you can't turn your drawings into digital form ?

So, given your stats, I take it there will be activities such as "train in the dojo" for strength, and study for intelligence, and maybe medidate for jurai (sorry, I don't remember Tenchi Muyo that well).

Talking about stats requirements : will it be tests during an event such as "some space bounty hunter attacks the group".
If Strength > 10 : Tenchi is able to defeat her
Else : Tenchi is beaten up but saved by Ryoko and loses love points with most girls

or just that you need to reach Strength 50 before an event happens ?

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#7 Post by Watercolorheart »

I will be taking art requests for non-commercial games, even fan-based, after mid-July. (But only for games with complete scripts, or programming. My own don't count, of course :>.)

RedSlash
Veteran

#8 Post by RedSlash »

I'd like to use this occasion to ask a more general question : what do people think of fan-games using official art ?
Thumbs down for me. I like original work even if its fanart.
Jinnai : you say you're good at drawing but don't have a tablet... What's the problem exactly ? You can't color or you can't turn your drawings into digital form ?
I was wondering about that too. Having tablet does nothing for your ability to digitize a pict. No tablet just means maybe you'll spend more time doing it than with one.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by musical74 »

First off...Tenchi Muyo dating game? WOOOHOOO!! can't wait! <wonders if Washu will annoy the heck out of Ayeka and Ryoko in the game, just as she does in the OAV series!>

Question on the offical art for a fangame: if you do offical art, don't you need the artist's permission? I'm no artist <stick figures, anyone?> so I don't know the rules surrounding that. Still...I think it makes the game feel better if it's your own art rather than *offical art*.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Jinnai
Regular

#10 Post by Jinnai »

RedSlash wrote:
Thumbs down for me. I like original work even if its fanart.
To each thier own....
RedSlash wrote:
I was wondering about that too. Having tablet does nothing for your ability to digitize a pict. No tablet just means maybe you'll spend more time doing it than with one.
I am good at drawing and i am skilled at using photoshop as well. I haven't tried macromedia yet...

I cannot scan my pics in as i don't have a scanner and even if i did, i don't feel like drawing each one...that would be quite a lot to draw and color by hand.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by monele »

Jinnai wrote:i don't feel like drawing each one...that would be quite a lot to draw and color by hand.
Won't be easier on the compy/tablet me thinks ^^. So it's really about not drawing the graphics yourself in the end I guess :)

RedSlash
Veteran

#12 Post by RedSlash »

Ah yes.., not having a scanner can be an annoyance. It seems that someone is offering their skills on this thread its a good idea to take this opportunity!

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

musical74 wrote:Question on the offical art for a fangame: if you do offical art, don't you need the artist's permission?
Even if it isn't official art, you still need permission. Characters are copyrighted too, not just the art of those characters. But companies generally turn a blind eye, and most people don't feel that there is any moral dilemma.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#14 Post by Watercolorheart »

Again, I offered to do some of the art, and I own both a tablet and a scanner. My strength really lies in sprites, I think.

If you don't mind waiting a month or so, that is.

Jinnai
Regular

#15 Post by Jinnai »

monele wrote:
Jinnai wrote:i don't feel like drawing each one...that would be quite a lot to draw and color by hand.
Won't be easier on the compy/tablet me thinks ^^. So it's really about not drawing the graphics yourself in the end I guess :)
I would be a litte. I can use fill for a lot of stuff. Drawing the image won't be an eaiser. I can also erase mistakes without leaving marks behind, which happens a lot and especially with colored pencil (which is what i use, or pastels).
BCS wrote:If you don't mind waiting a month or so, that is.
I don't mind waiting. I still need to find time to finish figuring out the GUI scripting (as what i want to do with it is a lot more than what the demo showed.
monele wrote:So, given your stats, I take it there will be activities such as "train in the dojo" for strength, and study for intelligence, and maybe medidate for jurai (sorry, I don't remember Tenchi Muyo that well).

Talking about stats requirements : will it be tests during an event such as "some space bounty hunter attacks the group".
If Strength > 10 : Tenchi is able to defeat her
Else : Tenchi is beaten up but saved by Ryoko and loses love points with most girls

or just that you need to reach Strength 50 before an event happens
Yes, those choises would be the kind of thing. I'd also have manditory things happen, ie locked timeslots with non-normal school choice in the morning. Right now that would require an update to the engine though.

As for the events, it depends. If i have it ongoing, ie no end to the game until you get one of the girls or a bad ending, then it would be at semi-set times. If not, it would be when your stat reaches a certain point.

However in either case there would be a chance to win/lose. Former based on stats and the latter based on stamina. I would rather have an rpg element here, just a combat one, but Ren'Py i don't think could handle it.

The reason I might have it ongoing is that all the girls from the original essentially don't age (Mihoshi is debatable, but she is the descendant of Washu...this was confirmed) so there would be no reason to update the graphics. The only change would be with Tenchi's schooling.

However the defined time period works better when some of the non-OVA characters are added, such as Kiyone.

Anyway here are the people i will have for certain:
Romancable Characters:
Ayaeka
Mihoshi
Ryoko
Sasami
Washu
Kiyone (unlockable)
Sakuya (unlockable)
Noike (unlockable ?)
Sagami (unlockable...more of a comical ending since Sagami liked Tenko, aka Tenchi dressed as a girl).

Unkown:
Mayuka (unlockable)
Ryo-Ohki Female Humanoid (unlockable ?)
Mizuki (from the fantranslated SNES game) (unlockable)

Non-Romancable:
Nagi (unlockable ?)
Kasumi (from the fantranslated SNES game) (unlockable)
Yazuha (unlockable...if i have a set time i'll use her for a bad ending as well).
Matori
Mitsuki

Also any female from the series that has a romantic relation with someone else or is married and any male (save Sagami) will be romancaable.

I may also add appearances from Pretty Sammy/Magical Project S offshoots, but those would probably only be cameo appearances.

And the OVA takes precidence over any conflicts, with the TV Series 1 taking secondary precidence, then movies, then Tenchi in Tokyo, then manga, then any other source, then pretty sammy offshotts.

So as you can see 3 main stats isn't going to cover it. Plus i don't like using so few, but need some ideas about what else to add.
)'.'(
Power of Sqyishyness!!