[WIP] Line of Heroes [Arabian Nights Fantasy, GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

[WIP] Line of Heroes [Arabian Nights Fantasy, GxB]

#1 Post by modesty » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Romance

Game Type:
Visual Novel/Choose-your-own-romance
Arabian Nights type setting
Multiple endings

Rated: Teen+ - covers ideologically sensitive subjects

Project Progress
:
Script: 99% (A script is never really finished. I always make small edits as I go.)
Coding: 80% (The whole game is playable but I intend for some parts to have image maps. Currently those parts are menus for the sake of testing code, still need to add images and sound and effects)
Music/Sound: 50% (collected sound effects, selecting music)
Art: 20% (All base sprites completed)
Need: Sprites for 30+ characters; 25+ Location bg, 24 CGI images, 10+ item images, UI

I plan on doing nearly all the art myself but I wouldn't mind help with item art, bg art, music, or ui art, perhaps a sprite or two.

Summary
Many years ago, a Hero rose from the desert and prevented the Evil King of Thieves from stealing the power of the Triune Goddess. The legend is sung across all the lands.

Mara, the daughter of a Legendary Hero, struggles to find a way to escape from the shadow of her Father's legacy. A legacy that must be continued in their family line. When her father goes missing, Mara is the only one with the power to find him.
She finds herself on the adventure she never wanted, but the strength and friendships she's never known.

Will the trials strengthen her heart or break it?

Creatures!
Elves - The dominant sentient creature of this world. There are 3 major cultures/ethnicity of elves:
Desert Elves or Sun Elves - dwell in the Desert Regions. They are known as tough, skilled warriors. Even the women are trained in ways of battle so as to defend the home while men are away. They are very divided into family tribes and compete over resources.
Shadow Elves - Tied to the Royal Family as perfect spies. They dwell in cities with High Elves but originated from canyon country and Dark Woods. Their complexions tend to be pitch black to dark grey.
High Elves - They have developed technology and magic and strive to unite all elves. They can live anywhere.

Siren - Sea-dwelling, amphibious people with bluish-green toned skin and sea-colored eyes. They tend to live in southern tropical areas where the humidity helps them keep their skin moist. They are able to breath underwater and have webbed feet. They are able to use vocal powers (only underwater) and graceful dances.

Faun - A goat-like people with hooved feet and horned heads. They tend to keep to the highlands and mountains. They're famous for hardheadedness.
Malak - A winged race that live in the sky. They were wiped out by the Thief King. 0
Thestrals - Demonic horses with horns and skeletal facial features and fangs. Always black.
Karkadanns - Desert unicorns that will fight ANYTHING.
Djinn - a magical creature that can take form of any animal or humanoid. Usually involved in unusual births or events.
Characters:
Mara - the protagonist
Mara is a young woman from a desert tribe and the daughter of the Legendary Hero: Arens. She is his eldest child and manages the family's herd of Karkadann. She was trained as a warrior until her brother was born.
(Her younger brother Niq is 10 years younger than she. He has taken up his father mantle and is expected to carry on the family's duty.)

Rama - Mara's Companion
Most girls would like a puppy or a kitten, but Mara prefers the fierce Karkadann. Rama is bonded to Mara and serves as her protector. He also helps her manage the herd...well...it is mostly his family anyway. He's not very friendly to anyone except those that earn his respect.

Opal - Mara's Childhood Friend
Opal is only a year or two younger than Mara. They were childhood friends but some of Opal's behavior drove them apart. Opal has recently started going on a rebellious streak and is interested in being banished so she can be free. She longs for freedom and love more than anything.

Daire - Princess of the Mountains
Daire is a strong and stubborn faun. She does not think she's very pretty but secretly wants to be admired for beauty. Daire is very opposed to the idea of a "nobelwoman's" role in High Elf terms. She does not stand for being judged and sized for market so to speak. And she will tell you so.

Rosalia - Princess of the Southern Seas
Rosalia is self-conscious and very clumsy. Despite being an only child, Rosalia is incredibly generous, perhaps because she always wanted siblings. Her position in life makes her feel nervous about people's true feelings for her. She wants to be known as a person, not a princess.

Shakil - Childhood Friend
Opal's younger brother and one of Mara's only friends from home. He is a very empathetic young elf and meek, but he has a talent with smithing weapons. It's no secret that he admires Mara and might be interested in more than friendship.

Lord Shamir - Rival/Friend/Enemy??
Shamir is the bastard a female djinn living with a High Elf Noble, Lord Tianal. He is single-minded and very ambitious. He has some mysterious magical abilities which he attributes to his djinn lineage. He has an interest in Mara but his intentions may not be so noble.

Lucios - Friend and Guide
One of the Shadow Elves entrusted with protecting royal secrets. He works in the palace for part of the year delivering messages and spying on various nobles. He has a happy-go-lucky attitude and cheerful personality. However, he is also capable of very strong and emotional outbreaks.

Melek - Fanboy
A Temple guardian with a bubbling personality for a solemn duty. He is a cheerful healer with a great dedication to the Triune Goddess...and perhaps the Hero too. Little else is known about the true nature of this strange man.

Minor Characters
Lady Miret
- a spoiled noble obsessed with Shamir. She's a bit of a rival, but not a threat.
Mistress Maple - Mara's manners instructor in the High City. She teaches noblewomen court manners.
Lord Tianal - Shamir's father and the Queen's adviser
The Queen - a prophet-queen that rules the lands of the High Elves. She helped the Hero seal away the Thief King.
The Thief King - a man who traded his name for power, he seeks immortality and to rule over the heavens as a god.
Arens - The Hero of Lengend
Chibuike - Mara's mother
Malaika - Shamir's Djinn mother.

More Concept Art
Djinn Temple Guardians
Image - Thestral
Image - The guys. :heart: Top Left: Shakil, Top Right: Lucios, Bottom Left: Melek, Bottom Right: Shamir
Image - Rosalia's dance outfit
Last edited by modesty on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 19 times in total.

Abeiramar
Regular

Re: [WIP] Line of Heroes

#2 Post by Abeiramar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:17 pm

You have nice art and I love the setting of your story. I love fantasy stories. I'm soo looking forward this.
My favorite characters so far are Daire and Rosalia. They both look cute and fun :) .

emihaumut
Regular
Projects: Rynspyr.
Tumblr: emihaumut
Github: yeewai

#3 Post by emihaumut » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:54 pm

A story set in the desert AND has elves? Consider your project stalked. :)

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#4 Post by babyfish » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Arabian Nights fantasy? Already I'm intrigued! As with all fantasy projects, this looks huge! I wish you the best of luck on this project! It seems like you've got a good grasp of the world, the story, and its characters though, which should be to your advantage.
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

modesty
Regular

#5 Post by modesty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks so much for the supportive comments.

I've been sketching the sprite bases. I should have images of the romance options up this weekend. :3

modesty
Regular

Re: [WIP] Line of Heroes [Arabian Nights Fantasy, GxB]

#6 Post by modesty » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Opinions: What skin tone do you think looks better?
Image Image

In other news, finished sprite bases for all the romantic options.

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#7 Post by GeneDNC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:31 am

This looks amazing and I am impressed with the amount of work you've already done. Best of luck finishing!
modesty wrote:Opinions: What skin tone do you think looks better?
Image Image

In other news, finished sprite bases for all the romantic options.
I prefer the right-hand one, it's just a little easier to see the actual lines of his nose, mouth etc. On the other they're pretty much invisible on my monitor.

modesty
Regular

#8 Post by modesty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks. I know my monitors are very bright so I'm never really sure how dark things appear on other monitors. ;)

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#9 Post by babyfish » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:51 am

Beautiful artwork, the NA style of character design is certainly a refreshing sight, and it's been done so well too!

As for the two sprites... the one on the left seems colder, while the one on the right seems warmer. The right seems more consistent with his personality, cheerful and helpful, etc.

Don't take my word for it though, I set my monitors slightly darker than normal, so it opinions might be different for others. ^^
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

modesty
Regular

#10 Post by modesty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 am

It took me three blinks to figure out what NA stood for. (Non Anime...*facepalm*)

Thanks for the feedback on Lucios' colors. It helps a lot. (Mostly because I'm terribly indecisive.)

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#11 Post by Wright1000 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:27 am

Looks like this will be a great game.
Hope it is released soon.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#12 Post by sake-bento » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 pm

I am really liking the character designs here, and the story already interests me. Looking forward to it!

modesty
Regular

#13 Post by modesty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:23 pm

Quick updates. I've got sprites for the main characters, working on the title screen, and I've been making minor edits to the script. Cleaning up dialog and all that. ;)

thumbnail for the title screen:

LadyAvori
Regular

#14 Post by LadyAvori » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:35 pm

I really love the character designs. I also love the idea of Mara's protector being a horse, that's just awesome! Does Rama talk? Its a fantasy story so perfectly plausible. Or is he more like the horse from Tangled, knows what the people are saying but can't verbally communicate? Anyway, I am definitely waiting for this one to be finished!

modesty
Regular

#15 Post by modesty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Minor updates: finished base sprites for all main characters and most minor characters.
Update Shamir so he looks less deformed and a better outfit. :3
Updated Lucios' skin tone to be a touch lighter.