[BL] Break Chance Memento / first post updated 12/28/2011

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: [BL] Break Chance Memento -- DEMO RELEASED 10/31

#181 Post by Deji »

Yay! Congrats on releasing the demo!
The Halloween picture is yummy <3

Downloading right now to play it later tonight >3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#182 Post by Riviera »

Great Halloween present!! Downloading now~
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#183 Post by Camille »

Hi guys~ Thanks so much for the support! Unfortunately I found a pretty big bug in the game that I somehow missed the first time around. :/ Basically it made it so that unless you had only PREVIOUSLY unlocked ONE of two BCMs, you couldn't use the time machine, so 50% of the time, chances are you'd end up being unable to complete the game because you'd be missing one or two scenes. Sad because this bug happened because I was trying to fix another one that my friend reported to me last night... XD;;

Anyway I've updated the demo site to reflect this and uploaded the new, fixed versions, so please re-download. ): If you replace your old files with these new ones, though, your save files and already unlocked persistent data should still be intact.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#184 Post by teacup »

I've been playing for about 15 minutes and just wanna say, it's really, really fun so far! And it's so pro! :D I can give more feedback when I'm done, but for now I just wanted to say great job~!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#185 Post by JustAnotherMe »

YAYYY for DEMO!!!! Great job!
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#186 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I finished the demo, and I should say it's awesome! :D
I look forward to the full game (if I can buy it that is) :)

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#187 Post by Joey »

Omg, I just started playing the demo, but I have to say, it looks amazingly professional. ESPECIALLY THE PRETTY MENUS! :9
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

#188 Post by Aiurax »

My graphics card had decided at the moment of release that it didn't want to work anymore. Sniff. The graphics are loading too slowly and the game just ends up not responding and I can see no pictures. I can't play until I get a new one. I can't play any games until I get a new one!
But what I heard of the music was amazing. I've so been looking forward to this.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#189 Post by Camille »

I'm so happy that you all like it. ;___; Lazcht (and me, too, I guess XD) worked really hard to make the GUIs look nice and still keep in with the theme of the game. She was trying to go for something that looked traditionally Japanese, but with a sci-fi flavor to it. :3 I think Auro and I kind of feed off of each other, haha. I get inspired by her art and she apparently gets inspired by my writing... So I hope all the emotions and whatnot were natural and worked well. (so far everyone seems to like the visuals a lot, which is great! n_n)

Even (or I should say especially) if you have any complaints, we'd love to hear them. We release a demo in order to see what we're doing right/wrong for the real game, after all. xD So any feedback is much appreciated. <3 I'd prefer if people filled out the survey (it's in the bonus section and unlocks once you get through the demo once--doesn't need to be 100% completion) so that I can get specific data, but again, any and all feedback is great. :D

Just a quick overview of the things that are unlocked:
- Each character profile unlocks after you see all of *their* scenes, not counting the BCM scenes. Natsume and Shuuki each have 5 scenes, and the rest of the boys each have 2. (16 total) Kyousuke's profile unlocks at 100% completion.
- The survey unlocks after you finish the demo once. Doesn't matter which scenes you see as long as you get to the credits screen once. XD
- The wallpapers unlock at 100% completion.
- The creator comments (from me and Auro where we talk about the project as a whole) also unlock at 100% completion.

I had wanted to put a little bit more into the bonus section, but I was running out of time because of some family-related issues that gave me less time than I anticipated. ): Since the full game has no deadline, though, you can be sure to expect a looooot more unlockables in it. (:

@Aiurax: Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. ;_; Have you tried updating your drivers? If so, there's also this fix that might work:
If the game was written with an accelerated version of Ren'Py AND the problem is acceleration-related, it may work to hold down the shift key when starting the game, then tell it to prefer the software renderer.

Arcanum
Veteran

#190 Post by Arcanum »

PLEASE HAVE MY MONEY.

The menu is breathtaking; so professional! I love the blinky, floating stuff… It looks like you used RenPy to its fully potential: I've seen pro games that didn't even bother with the aesthetics that much. For me, it's a nice surprise to be already that excited at the starting screen XD
Although when Kyousuke appeared I was even more excited… Kudos to Auro, he looks so TASTY dayum! I also loved the blinking and the green lines… It makes up for a nice effect. So much care for the visuals. Seriously, it makes a HUGE difference. The background + the sprites + the GUI makes up for some great impact (everything is looking great, but the choice menu… THE CHOICE MENU <3). I also love the fact that it's widescreen: it works so nicely on my laptop <3 The music is fun, too… All the graphics, the music, and the writing entailed makes a very professional and likeable game!

As for the writing itself:
YUKINARI IS AN EVIL BASTARD OMG. HE LOOKED SO SWEET. I won't be fooled by appearances again… *cleches fists* He is really jealous of all the attention Natsume gets from Masa, isn't he DX?!

Also poor Shuuki… I thought I wouldn't like him; the serial dater guy is just never appealing to me, but watching him getting dumped when you say you think he'll wait… Man, that was harsh. He really wanted to give the guy a chance…
Errr I just have a complaint… I waited until I got the two BCMs and all the other endings to play them, but once I finished the demo another time after already getting the 16 endings, it was just said that I had the two of them and I was prompted to the start screen once more X_X I couldn't play them ;_; *curious*

Anyways, congrats on the demo, guys. You sure are putting an example for everyone who wants to make great VNs.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#191 Post by Camille »

@Arcanum: It's funny, Auro said the same thing about the starting screen. XD I guess it's because I've been staring at it for so long, but it doesn't have much of an impact for me anymore. Still, I think it's important to grab people from the get-go, so I tried to make even the main menu look cool. We were supposed to have like a "Made by Cyanide Tea" sort of logo, but I think Auro and I both forgot about all that logo stuff in the face of the demo's content.... Whoops. XD;

We were holding off on showing pictures of Kyousuke until after the demo so he'd be a surprise HAHAHA I'm glad you like him. ;D Quite a few people said they were surprised when he came out.
JUST AS PLANNED? Ahahahahaha I feel like the fluffiest characters in this game are secretly the darkest ones, so watch out for Natsume in the future... ;) Just a hint. I think Yukinari is mostly just tired of hearing about Natsume. Can you imagine him and Masaharu at lunch time? Masa just goes on and on "And then Aniki did this and that... Can you believe it?! Isn't he so annoying?!" but all Yukinari can think is that Masa sounds like he's bragging. XD Yuki also has brothers, but he doesn't get on well with them, so I think part of him is also kind of jealous of the close relationship the Amamiyas have.

I'm eager for you to see the BCM scene with Shuuki, too, because it sheds even more light on his character. I know this kind of frivolous character can be hard to like, but more than one person has said their opinion of Shuuki changed (for the better) after the demo, so we're very pleased about that. He really is a good kid, haha.
Ah, you have the bugged version. ;___; I caught the bug last night about 5 hours after the demo came out and fixed it. (I posted about it in this thread a couple posts up) If you redownload the demo, that bug should be fixed. Your save files and everything will still carry over, so no worries. Sorry for the inconvenience! ;A;

Thanks!! We're really glad you enjoyed it. <3 I hope you get to get the last two scenes soon.

Celestie
Veteran

#192 Post by Celestie »

So. After reading boring next for university, I'll hopefully find some time to play this game (after all, I still think I'll buy this game to give it to my friend as present xD). So congrats on the demo release, even with the bugs and problems you are working hard to fix <3
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

birthdaylion

#193 Post by birthdaylion »

Yay the demo! I have like 17 of the scenes so far. SO CLOSE. I love Natsume and Chiaki :3 .
And where it's pointed out that everything you choose comes true! It looks SOOO great :D

Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

#194 Post by Aiurax »

The fix worked! So happy.
I enjoyed the game immensely. I'll probably still have to get a new graphics card (yes they're all updated).
I particularly liked doing the survey afterwards. 'Surveydaddy' made me laugh :]

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#195 Post by Camille »

Thanks again to everyone! XD

@birthdaylion: If you're at 17 scenes, you're very close to completion. :D Just one more to go!

@Aiurax: Yay! I'm glad it worked for you and doubly glad that you enjoyed the demo. :D Your feedback was really detailed and helpful. I appreciated it very much and will pass on your comments to Auro and Lazcht, as well. <333

To answer the question of "Where has Lazcht been hiding?", she's part of another indie game team and is really busy with those endeavors, haha. (they do a lot of flash games like shooters and mini-RPGs and stuff... super impressive!) She opened herself for contract work a while back and I jumped on the chance immediately~~ XD Lucky me. All of her work is stunning! She's also really good at illustration, but of course I wouldn't trade Auro for anyone. /clings~!