[BL] Break Chance Memento / first post updated 12/28/2011

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: [BL] Break Chance Memento -- GERMAN DEMO RELEASED 11/12

#286 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

And this is just how bad things look before I do a secondary sketch XP This is a really quick concept sketch of the boys mother, who may or may not have a name. I'm going to do another sketch layer on top of this one, were I flip it a couple times (which is good for most drawings, but especially good for sprites since you often flip them in game) and go berserk with liquify to push everything into shape before I start the lineart :3
screen 1.jpg

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#287 Post by Deji »

Auro, I don't know what you're talking about, your preliminary sketch looks really good! I could ink directly from that!
My own preliminary sketches are... well,, you can't tell what's what at all (actually, I can't if I let them sit for a day or two before picking them up again , sometimes), haha ^^;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#288 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Auro: h-o-w could you tell that it's BAD?! How could you?! What about my disproportionate and really messy sketch then?? TAT
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#289 Post by Camille »

During some downtime while writing, I put together a little 8tracks mix about the BCM characters. There are 9 songs. I'll go ahead and say that #2 and #5 pertain to the antagonists. For the other 7 songs, 2 are about Shuuki, 2 are about Natsume, and the other 3 are about Chiaki, Masaharu, or Yukinari. I'll let you guess about which of the other 7 songs is about which character. :Db The song list (with samples of the pertinent lyrics) is as follows:

1. Radiohead - Fog (Again)
There's a little child running around this house and he never leaves / He will never leave / Anything you want, it can be done / Some things will never wash away / Did you go bad?

2. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
I remember when I lost my mind / There was something so pleasant about that place / Even your emotions had an echo in so much space / I just knew too much / Does that make me crazy?

3. Adele - Turning Tables
Close enough to start a war / All that I have is on the floor / God only knows what we're fighting for / Under your thumb, I can't breathe / So I won't let you close enough to hurt me

4. La Roux - Bulletproof
Burning bridges shore to shore / I'll break away from something more / I'm not turned on to love until it's cheap / Been there, done that, messed around / I'll never let you sweep me off my feet

5. Vienna Teng - My Medea
It's this love that I most fear / And this child I would destroy / For I hold her pain most dear / No haven for this heart / No shelter for this child in mazes lost / For I see what I destroy / I can see what I've begun

6. Michael Bolton - Go The Distance
I won't accept defeat / 'til I go the distance and my journey is complete / But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part / For a hero's strength is measured by his heart

7. Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
It's rising at the back of your mind / You howl and listen and wait for the echoes of angels who won't return / I say all the right things at exactly the right time / But I mean nothing to you and I don't know why

8. Radiohead - Nude
Don't get any big ideas / They're not gonna happen / You paint yourself white and fill up with noise / But there'll be something missing / Now that you've found it, it's gone / Now that you feel it, you don't

9. Mumford and Sons - The Cave
It's empty in the valley of your heart / The sun, it rises slowly as you walk away from all the fears and all the faults you've left behind / And I'll find strength in pain / I need to know how to live my life as it's meant to be

-----

And now I'm getting back to work. /o/ Enjoy!

natsumachi
Regular
Completed: Re∞Birth [BL]
Projects: Ferfecir [BL]
Organization: Milky Cherry

#290 Post by natsumachi »

lol I've been sitting here trying to figure out the character songs, but it's really hard.;; Some of them make me think of pairings so it's difficult to choose 1 character.

Shuuki: 3, 8
Natsume: 1, 9
Chiaki: 7
Yukinari: 4
Masaharu: 6

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#291 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Deji, hahaha...^_^; I think that says more about your skills than mine. If I tried to ink that, it would... take me a while XD But I've done that before, especially when I'm doing layouts. I think I'll scribble down the idea so I don't forget it, and then come back later and I'm just... what... what is this?

@JAM, well there is a lot wrong with it, it it's kind of making me squirm right now looking at it. But it can be fixed!

@Camille, 2 and 5 are easy, but I'm cheating. The others are hard o.o Apart from 9, I don't know if I could definitely guess the rest XD

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#292 Post by mysterialize »

Ah, okay, so this is more of a unique character introduction sort of thing, rather than an actual piece of the game. That clarifies things quite a bit. I no longer have to wrack my brain over the logistics of time travel and psychology.

Though, to clarify a little on what my issue was, it wasn't so much that you made choices that affected the characters in general that confused me, but rather your choices made through a character were affecting the choices made by other ones. It makes enough sense, at least in VN logic, for someone to decide to, say, make a cake when you, as the player, tell that particular character to make a cake. It doesn't make as much sense for you to tell a different character that they expect said character to make a cake, while the character whose mind you're affecting doesn't have any way to change anything that's happening to the character who is actually trying to figure out what to cook. If... that makes any sense. This whole thing is surprisingly complicated.

Anyways, most everything else was clarified by your explanations, so as long as some of those things don't come up in the non-demo, then awesome. I really look forward to seeing the final version! *Arm wiggle*

Oh, and since it was apparently Lazcht and Camille who did the menu, then many a high five you two as well.

Arisu

#293 Post by Arisu »

I've been wanting to comment on this game, but it's like... too awesome so I don't know what to say, except that I'm looking forward to the full version and that I, for some reason, feel a strange urge to fangirl Yukinari and Natsume. :3 Everything looks so well polished, and the characters and plot seem really interesting, so, mmmyes, keep up the good work! ^_^V

Arisu approves.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#294 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Mysterialize, I get what you mean :) I think we generally just manipulated the situation for demonstration purposes. Though instead of dealing with the logic of that in the real game, you get time travel logic instead! Which makes my head hurt XD

@Arisu, Thanks! We always appreciate comments (that's a royal we by the way, I can only talk for myself but I'm sure Camille agrees ;) ) I think Yukinari and Natsume are quite popular, and it's Camille's favourite. I'm sure there will be lots of nice things to see in regards to those two if she has anything to do with it XD

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#295 Post by Kura »

That was a very enjoyable playlist and guessing game. :D Even if it did make me go around singing The Cave all day.
My guesses are as follows:
1 and 8 are Shuuki; 3 and 9 are Natsume; 4 is Yukinari; 6 is Masaharu; 7 is Chiaki.
Lol'd hard at the realization that my favorite BCM pairing is expressed by one of those songs I can sing the whole chorus to even though I never particularly liked it just because it was always on Way Back When.
And the antagonist songs have me so psyched about the probable awesomeness of said antagonists.

Auro, The Cave was the easiest (er, third easiest) one for you to guess? D: That one confused me so much because of the "you" and the "I" in it.

On the note of blinking and mouth flaps on sprites--I do think that random mouth movements that don't actually match up with anything would look odd. The blinking generally didn't look weird to me, except when one character had their eyes closed and the other was blinking and I was thinking "gaahhh why are your eyes still closed that's not how ^_^ faces work."

Furthermore, Bossman's apron is pretty excellent. And I find Amamiya-mother's design very interesting--totally expresses the neat, proper, and kind of cold vibe that I got from the little glimpses of her in Camille's short stories.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#296 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have gotten her flats done now, so she will be done by tomorrow. I ended up basing her outfit on one I wear to work lol.
screen 4.jpg
screen 3.jpg
@Kura... ummm, I don't know? I pretty much saw the you and I as interchangeable. Which is incorrect, but I seem to do it often XD Number 7 was very sweet though, no?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#297 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Mum is finished! Shuuki takes after her a fair bit. Dad is next~
Example.png

Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

#298 Post by Aiurax »

Can't wait to see what kind of pose Daddy will have. The pose tells a lot about someone so, it'll be interesting.
I like the attention to detail on Mummy, you even remembered the wedding ring D:
Will Daddy be the one with the blond-y hair, then?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#299 Post by Camille »

@Aiurax: The boys all bleached their hair. XD Their parents are normal (well minus the eye colors) Japanese people with black hair, haha.
Auro: Which brings me to a totally random question, did the boys dye their hair before or after Fuyuka’s death?
Me: Natsume bleached his hair after starting work at the confectionary because the boss thought blonde hair would be more eye-catching to customers. This was about a year after Fuyuka’s death. Shuuki and Masaharu thought he was still depressed and was trying to have a drastic change in order to forget (like how people cut their hair after a break-up) and copied him kind of as a show of solidarity, even though they deny it. XD After that it sort of just stuck. So that means they’ve been blonde for the last three years or so.
Auro: Hahaha, I can kind of imagine that, and Masa’s and Shuuki’s reactions to each other after dying their hair. I don’t think they would have discussed it before hand and suddenly all of them are blonde. I wonder what their parents would think?
Me: Haha oh gosh, I can just imagine Masa and Shuuki going home and freaking out over each other’s blonde hair. XD I think their father wouldn’t have an opinion, but their mother would be like “....... I knew that Natsume was a bad influence.... Well, as long as you’re not bothering us to pay for your hair treatments, I suppose it’s all right. Kids will be kids.”
Aaaaand the mix "answers":

1. Yukinari
2. Antagonist
3. Natsume
4. Shuuki
5. Antagonist
6. Masaharu
7. Chiaki
8. Shuuki
9. Natsume

But I realize a lot of these could apply to other characters depending on how people interpret them, so even my answers aren't really official or anything. XD It was a fun exercise for me nonetheless! I think 6 was really obvious. xD I couldn’t think of anything else that I had... ^^; The rest probably are a little more tricky, but that’s what makes it fun. :3

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#300 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Dad is a lot more relaxed, so he will probably have a more at ease pose. Masaharu and Natsume take more after him. That is what I have decided anyway XD
She wears a ring on both her hands, but that's just so we can flip the sprite. Everything noticeable has to be symmetrical, which is why Chiaki got another set of hair pins.
Annnnnd Camille bet me to the hair thing XD