[BL] Break Chance Memento / first post updated 12/28/2011

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Tumaini

Re: [WIP BxB] Break Chance Memento

#16 Post by Tumaini »

You can't be serious... gay incest? A visual novel with gay incest? THIS IS AGAINST ALL ETHIC CODES AND-

Just kidding.

Marry me. Right now.

It's pretty pathetic how giddy I am about this, actually. The prospect fills me with fuzzy feelings throughout. *bites into forbidden fruit leisurely* To be honest, I've been looking through all games posted here so far - curiously watching the B x B ones, who seem to have taken a sudden spike in quantity - and this is one of the few still WIP ones that have me quite this interested! Not only because of the romantic choices, of course.
Even though I'm going to love you forever and ever and ever and ever for implementing gay incest in a visual novel. Holy crap, I just can't get over it.

Myself, I've always been a sucker for mystery and intrigue, and my utter passion for anything that can be considered paranormal or paraphysical (as in, time travel and shiz.) is well-known to most everyone who's familiar with me.
Of course, (because I'm a brackets-abusing stalking mofo I read everything in this thread.) you just have to add twisted & dark storylines. Can you read minds. Are you intentionally doing this. You do realize you will be held responsible if I starve to death because I didn't want to come out of my room because I was too busy playing this game because... yeah. (Long live angst. Long live. *Vulcan salute*)

This sounds so great, seriously, I can barely contain my enthusiasm. F-fangirl brofist!
It's definitely unique, or at least I've never seen anything like it. I just. Love this entire concept. And yes, I can't get over the gay incest. Gay incest! Cheers, man! Cheers!

This is such a giant ''SCORE!'' moment. You have no idea.

Well, this is getting a tad long... I'm sorry to keep you. Basically, I'm having a fangirl aneurysm all over my keyboard and am wanting to propose to you like the stalkerish uber-creep I tend to be. I should probably just say ''I am so watching this, you cannot escape'' and get it over with already.

Oh, one last thing -
regarding the turn yaoi off/on thing, I'm with Aleema. I think, looking at this from a 'this is a technical game' viewpoint, it would leave a gap... After all, it's supposed to be part of the game, right? It just doesn't feel right, implementing a off/on option. Of course, it is your choice and some people may prefer it otherwise... However, there'll be a no romance path? It'd be practical (if someone doesn't want the yaoi or doesn't like any of the characters enough) if nothing else.

Okay, that should be it.

P.S. I am so sorry, I'm just a creep (and kind of a nerd?). So sorrysorrysorry. Don't hate me. ._. I'm just... passionate... /lamely tries to justify
I'M SORRY!

sloooowly actually getting active in the forums, wow. who'd have thought? not me. even though i'm just stalkering and creepering and shit to innocent people.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#17 Post by Camille »

@Elze: Creepers always welcome! o/

@Tumaini: Holy crap, I think this is the best comment I've ever gotten on any sort of WIP I've ever put up HAHAHA. I'm so flattered! o///////o
oho~ I happen to be single right now! ;D /shot
Things I love (writing about):
- dysfunctional relationships
- ~*~forbidden taboos~*~
- dark, somewhat disturbing storylines
- mystery, supernatural occurrences
- plot twists
- bittersweet endings
- character death c: or character pain cccc:

So if you like any of those things (which it seems you do), BCM is definitely for you. :'Db
Can you read minds. Are you intentionally doing this. You do realize you will be held responsible if I starve to death because I didn't want to come out of my room because I was too busy playing this game because... yeah.
Aww, don't do that! I'll send you food! :c

Never apologize for tl;dr, I'm one of the most verbose people I know and I love reading rambles like this. XD I feel so warm and fuzzy right now. I'm pretty sure I won't go for the "turn yaoi on/off" thing, after all. Still considering the "turn incest on/off" option, but I dunno... Probably won't do that, either.
Partly because people should just play the game the way I intended, especially if it's going to be mostly free, and partly because I'm lazy.
Thanks so much for your support~ ;-; I'll keep everyone posted! And yes, get more active! XD LSF is a great place to be.

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#18 Post by GeneDNC »

I am kinda severely squicked out by the incest thing and am not a yaoi fan... BUT I might actually put all of that aside and play this game because the art is GORGEOUS and the story interesting, especially since you said it's nothing explicit.

As for the option to turn incest off, I would be one of those people who would appreciate it, but I don't expect your game to be tailored to my opinion. If you tell me these elements are in your game, it's up to me to decide if I want to play it or not. I mean, surely if all paths don't involve incest I can just try and avoid those if I want. In the end it's up to you and if you feel excluding some elements are going to harm the story and gameplay, don't do it.

Going on a tangent here; I was thinking about the "turn sex scenes off" in games aimed at older players. I suppose people do that to reach a wider or younger audience, for which the age-related content isn't appropriate. Obviously if it's a commercial game, I guess this is so that they can sell more games. With a free, indie project this isn't a huge priority, of course you want to reach as many people as possible, but in the end you can't please everyone anyway and should just make the game you want to make.

EDIT: Did I mention that the first time I read the title I thought it said "Break DanceMemento" and thought it was some weird My Magical Cosplay Cafe spin-off. XD

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Camille »

@GeneDNC: There's still two other characters (and possibly a secret third character) that aren't related to the MCs, so yeah, not all the paths involve incest. I dunno, incest in fiction doesn't bother me that much because it's just fiction. It will be tastefully written, though, or at least as much as I can manage. If I do end up implementing the "turn incest off" option, it'll basically just make it so that you don't get affection points for the brothers. You can still talk to them as normal and some scenes still show up, you just can't trigger any romantic scenes or incestual endings. It's sort of a pain, but since I imagine more people are turned off by the idea of incest (putting the idea of yaoi aside), I'll put it in if I think it's really necessary. Will have to think on it for a bit more... Like Aleema said, though, including an option like that draws a lot more attention to it. The incestual routes are so not the point of the game, either, haha.

While romance is not the entire point of the game, this is still definitely a BL/yaoi game and is sort of geared toward that kind of fan. D: (as a yaoi manga fan, cliches, ideas, and tropes from that genre will creep into my writing no matter what I do) Not sure how much non-yaoi fans will be able to enjoy this game because the romantic elements are always there, even when taking a backseat to the supernatural mystery storyline. But the art is gorgeous *waves Auro fangirl flag* and I've tried to make the general storyline unique, so I hope people at least give the demo a try whenever that comes out. It'll probably give you a better idea of whether or not this game is for you.

Well, this game will be at least partially commercial. It won't be totally free. So I would like to reach more people, if possible, since that will give us more money to make more games. XD But I've already driven myself into a niche by making this a BL game, so I'll just have to do the best I can within this genre. Luckily I have no sex scenes to turn off, but yaoi fangirls tend to be huge pervs, so this might actually work against me. :c

XD I have no idea what a Break Dance Memento would even be.

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#20 Post by EzzyAlpha »

TIME TRAVEL?!?! GAY INCEST?!?! GORGEOUS ART!?!?!

I am SO in love with this game :D

Would a Break Dance Memento be a keepsake from a dead break dancer?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Camille »

Aaaaand the game officially exists.

Considering changing the default resolution since the sprites Auro's making are pretty sizeable... I'm kind of used to 1024x576, but I think most people tend towards larger monitors now. We'll see! (:

@EzzyAlpha: :D!! +1 for gay incest fans, haha. I suppose it would be! Sadly there are no break dancers in this game. ):

Arcanum
Veteran

#22 Post by Arcanum »

EXCITEMENT. I get so giddy when watching the evolution of a VN! For me at least, the creative process is almost as exciting as the game itself.

It's looking really pretty *captain obvious* Can't wait to see other screens, specially menu and such, and how the time travel will be implemented… This is something I'm *really* curious about. The only game I've ever played with something remotely similar was TIme Hollow, but that was a linear game with no different paths. Will you get to choose what points you can travel to, if you have the appropriate memento, and does choosing one point of time over another - if that's possible - might hold a difference to the story? I hope I'm not jumping too far ahead, but I *LOVE* time travel stories (and even more if they have BxB haha) and you implemented such a cool personality system on MJ that I'm really curious about how you'll implement the whole changing the past aspect.

Also, did you hire someone to do the backgrounds too, or did you do it? It's very subtle and pretty, I liked the style.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Camille »

@Arcanum: I feel the same way, haha. I always love seeing people's creative processes. (even artists, and I don't know anything about art, I just like watching people draw!) MJ definitely looks way different now compared to how it did when we first started. XD

The GUI will look pretty darn cool if the mock-ups for the main menu/preferences menu are any indication. The textbox in the screencap is just a temporary one that I'm using while our GUI designer works on the real thing. I still hate affection points meters, so there won't be a screen for that. There will be a time machine screen where you can see the break chance mementos you've found, read messages from Kyousuke (the guy from the future who gives Shuuki the time machine watch), and, of course, time travel.

Okay, the whole time travel/BCM concept is a little complicated and I'm not quite finished working out all the kinks, but let me try to explain my intentions.

A BCM is an item that connects the present to another point in time. For example, when Masaharu dies, Shuuki has to find a BCM that will take him to before Masaharu died so that he can prevent it from happening. However, each BCM takes you to a *point* in time, giving you a window of about an hour (still working on this, the time window might change later). So if he finds a BCM from too early in the day, it probably won't work because he'll have to go back to the present after an hour and he can't influence the future enough during that window:
Shuuki: /teleports to just when Masa's eating breakfast
Masaharu: /still alive! /eating breakfast
Shuuki: ...UH HEY MASA. Stay away from the bridge today! Or better yet, stay home! Don't even leave the house today!
Masaharu: ......... /ignores

Fail. :c
Shuuki doesn't know the times of death, so he has to sort of experiment until he finds the right BCM for his purposes. When you travel, you can choose to "act" or "observe". In observation mode, he's basically invisible and can look around to figure out what Masaharu was doing. This might help him find a better BCM, or it might do nothing but be incredibly entertaining/educational? to watch. In action mode, he can do different things to try to change the future. Even if Shuuki's actions during a time travel trip don't actually save Masaharu, the changes he causes may have ramifications for the rest of the story, so be careful! (don't step on any butterflies!)

BCMs are a very special kind of item because they have to be connected to a specific point in time. For example, Shuuki can't just take the shirt Masaharu was wearing that day and try to use it as a BCM because it was mass-produced somewhere and worn by Masaharu many different times. It's connected to too many points in time to work. However, let's say that Masaharu wrote a note that morning or cooked himself something and decided to only eat half of it. The note or the uneaten food would work as BCMs because they're connected to the point of creation. If Shuuki used the note, he'd be teleported to just after Masaharu finished writing it, etc. Masaharu's chapter will have less related BCMs because it's the first one and meant to be an introductory chapter, but the subsequent murders will have more possibilities for how you approach the situation. In some cases, more than one BCM will work to save the person's life. The thing is, the time machine watch can only process 5 different BCMs at a time. So once you've found more than 5, you'll have to get rid of at least 1 in order to make space for new ones. (you can always just pick it up again later if you find that you need it again)

With his newfound technology, Shuuki can time travel even if it doesn't have to do with a murder, but those sorts of non-murder-related BCMs will be a little tough to find/there will be less of them. It's possible to travel to any point in time, but things may go wrong if Shuuki doesn't find the right BCM to connect the present time to wherever he's trying to go. Because of the nature of BCMs, it's generally best/easiest to only travel to points in time that are somehow connected to Shuuki/his family/people he knows. For example, Shuuki would probably never be able to access the BCM needed to take him safely back to the moment Abraham Lincoln got shot. 8D

I'm still working out the kinks in this system, but that's the basic idea right now. Hopefully that helps! :3 I'm planning on making the murder order Masaharu -> Chiaki -> Yukinari -> Natsume. They will increase in difficulty as you go. owo This game sounds complicated, but there's only four murders, so it won't be super long, I think.

Re: backgrounds! The one in the screencap (and all the ones in the game right now) are placeholders, haha. Mostly I just Photoshopped some photos I found on Google. XD Auro will be working on those later, she's doing the sprites right now. :3

SORRY FOR THE TL;DR

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#24 Post by EzzyAlpha »

O_O That sounds so complicated...It'll probably be a very replayable game...

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Camille »

@EzzyAlpha: I sure hope so! D: I'd hate to spend hours and hours working on a game that people beat within half an hour and then never touch again. :c

Arcanum
Veteran

#26 Post by Arcanum »

I wanted to say something more constructive, but right now I'm just ajwrhglawife kejfgasgljq PERFECT GAME.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Camille »

@Arcanum:

Image -> my face right now.

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#28 Post by GeneDNC »

Camille wrote:@GeneDNC:Not sure how much non-yaoi fans will be able to enjoy this game because the romantic elements are always there, even when taking a backseat to the supernatural mystery storyline.
Well if I play BCM, which looks to be highly probable, I will let you know.

Also, I think your brain must be some sort of super-computer to keep track of all that complicated time-travel stuff, which sounds really intriguing btw.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Camille »

@GeneDNC: Awesome, thanks. :D

Haha you think this is complicated, I think Machina Jewel is far worse because of the personality system and whatnot. You have no idea how much easier it is to write BCM and not have to type "if sarcasm > 12" or "if courage <5" every couple of lines. 8D Shuuki already has a (very strong) personality! But yeah, I always write out diagrams and lots of notes, so that's how I keep track of things like this. I despise plot holes, so I try to make sure I plan out everything thoroughly.

EzzyAlpha
Regular

#30 Post by EzzyAlpha »

It doesn't sound that complicated to me either. But maybe that's because I've had my nose stuck in Ren'Py tutorials.
It should be an inventory system where each item unlocks a menu choice, correct?
Hard part would be keeping track of all the paths but any complicated VN has that.