[BL/Horror] Water's Edge (demo released 12/24)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

Re: [BL/Horror] Water's Edge (demo released 12/24)

#76 Post by Joey »

@Ginger:
Thanks so much for playing! We hope you'll stick around till we finish the actual game!

@natsumachi:
I hadn't noticed the transition thing until you pointed it out >>; Do you remember which scenes seemed odd without a transition? I'll definitely put them in for the release. Regarding the backgrounds, I actually did use a night-time scene because the cloudy scene provided by the website I went to didn't have the lights on. But yes we will edit the windows, etc. to make it look less blue in the final product. X)

@Stargirl18:
We don't know when we'll be able to complete it, exactly... But we will try to work on it as much as we can when not caught up in real life and hope to release it sometime next year.

@MiSi:
Feedback from another BL game dev? We'll wait as long as we have to xD Take your time playing!

@Lumen_Astrum:
We were intentionally vague in the prologue because we do have plans for something else to develop mid-game... ;) As for the flood part, you have a point, but the "asking them to stay indoors" thing is also part of a bigger plot... :X
We've gotten some feedback about the narration thing already, so I think we might change it so that it's clearer to the players. \o/

As for the pausing text... sorry but it's a personal preference of ours :X We want the flow of the text to imitate speech... If you're irritated, try setting the cps to a high setting (but not max speed because it looks... weird) and... suppressing your speed-reading urges /o\ But anyway if you miss any dialogue by clicking too much there's always rollback enabled. Again, we're sorry!
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

natsumachi
Regular
Completed: Re∞Birth [BL]
Projects: Ferfecir [BL]
Organization: Milky Cherry

#77 Post by natsumachi »

Joey wrote: @natsumachi:
I hadn't noticed the transition thing until you pointed it out >>; Do you remember which scenes seemed odd without a transition? I'll definitely put them in for the release.
Um, I think the first one is where Nagisa is in bed, and then kind of suddenly the text says about a week has passed. I think that would be fine if it was text-only medium, but with visual medium there needs to be a bit clearer indication of time passing. Also in one classroom scene I think the time skips from the start of school to after school without any visual change?

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#78 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Joey wrote:
We were intentionally vague in the prologue because we do have plans for something else to develop mid-game... ;) As for the flood part, you have a point, but the "asking them to stay indoors" thing is also part of a bigger plot... :X
We've gotten some feedback about the narration thing already, so I think we might change it so that it's clearer to the players. \o/

As for the pausing text... sorry but it's a personal preference of ours :X We want the flow of the text to imitate speech... If you're irritated, try setting the cps to a high setting (but not max speed because it looks... weird) and... suppressing your speed-reading urges /o\ But anyway if you miss any dialogue by clicking too much there's always rollback enabled. Again, we're sorry!
I see, well, it would be okay, if the "weird" events in the flood part are explained later on :3 To be honest it's rather okay, building up mystery in the first part is a nice thing =) You made me curious.
Well, I've also seen a couple of VNs use the parenthesis thing (like Phoenix Wright and Planet Stronghold). Practically, this method's only used if there's barely any narration. I really do hope you change it, I practically didn't notice the narration switch to speech XD

And meh, nevermind the pauses, I'm not irritated with it, I'm just weirded out with it. //hides The won't-continue-until-you-click type of pause is a personal preference of mine, seeing as many VNs has it, and I'm really a fast reader. It gives yours a rather unique touch. I'll try "suppressing my speed-reading urges" then. XDDD

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#79 Post by try10 »

OMG!!! :D

I have just finished the DEMo and I have to say that it was AMAZING!!! :D
SO many things that I want to know about Nagisa's past!!! :)You did a great job with this demo and I wish you good luck in finishing it all.
I can't wait!!!:)

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#80 Post by MiSi »

I played the demo and... IT'S GREAT!!!
Although I would find it helpful if there was a little text indicator who tells you to click, since you used much self-advancing text ;)
But the atmosphere you created is so haunting! As well as the writing style is brilliant (I wish, I knew that many English words... :roll: :mrgreen: ).
Keep up the work like that, it made me wanting to play it any further :D

Niki
Regular

#81 Post by Niki »

@natsumachi: Thanks for the tip! We'll take note of that C:

@Lumen_Astrum: It's set -- we've decided to change the narration thing so it'd be clearer to the players.

Thanks to everyone who pointed it out! We as devs were so used to seeing it that it didn't seem odd to us orz It's definitely going to be changed!

@try10: Glad we piqued your interest >w<

@MiSi: Now that you mention it, a click to continue indicator might be helpful! Thanks for the suggestion, as well as the compliments ;w;

By the way, we managed to get a good friend of ours to help us out with music, so Water's Edge will have an original opening theme and a different ending theme for each ending! >w< I'm really excited, hehe.
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#82 Post by Dakishimete »

Okay, so I have to praise your writing first. Usually when I play bl/otome games I pay little attention to the plot except romance, mostly because author themself does this too. But I absolutely love the setting of your game and I can actually feel anxious.
I'll wait for the finished game mostly because of the story, because I felt nothing for your character yet, probably because I haven't met Ryuuki yet.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#83 Post by 15385bic »

I finally got to play Q_Q!
I have to say - i like how its written, it really shows the emotion of the main character who i only remember as A (i suck with names >3>)
was like "NOOOOOOO" when the demo finished coz i wanted to know more

ps - i think i may be a bit of a masochist or something coz I LOVE A's face when he closes his eyes in pain XD

looking forward to more progress ;)

Niki
Regular

#84 Post by Niki »

@Dakishimete: Thanks for the support! By the way, Ryuuki can be met by
going to the second-year classrooms before class starts. It's a short appearance though.
@15385bic: Thank you >w< We'll keep this page updated!

We've been sort of taking a break from the game, we apologize! ;; It's holiday season orz
Image (devblog) || tumblr

Rem-chan
Regular

#85 Post by Rem-chan »

Ahh I just finished playing the demo <3 It's really good!! Love the sound effects <3

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#86 Post by WickedRaccoon »

hey guys,is this game still in progress?if yes,when do you think it will be released?