Kestrels [B/G x B/G]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Kestrels [B/G x B/G]

#1 Post by KomiTsuku »

I swore I'd never do a WIP, but considering this is my pet project I've been screwing around with since I first got into interactive fiction five years ago, there is a slightly higher chance than usual of completion.

Kestrels

Brief plot synopsis: Our quite amazing, sexy main character, Frozen Phoenix Chief Editor Jade Skylar, is about ready to head home after serving in a war far from his nice warm bed and internet speed that doesn't take a decade to download music. He rests his eyes for a short moment in the airport terminal as he waits for the plane back home, but when he opens them, he finds himself in a land that is even further away from home than before. Now, stuck as an exchange student at Katajion High Private School, Chief finds himself surrounded by characters he once thought were fictional with no way back home. Darkness and shadows haunt the school as a deadly mystery threatens to engulf the world and prevent him from ever getting back to his high-speed internet. Armed with budding magical powers, a class of crazies and oddballs, and a clear cut mission, it is up to Chief to not only survive danger at every turn, but discover the truth behind the strange fantasy world he has stumbled upon.

Staff:

Writer: Chief Editor
Programming: Chief Editor
Sprite Artist: BlueForest
Event Artist: TBD
Background Artist: QQQnoQnoQ
Editors: Chief Editor

Completion:

Sprites: 100% We are DONE!
Backgrounds: 100% BOOYA!
Script: 5% yeah... fail.
CGs: Not until we make more headway with the script
Music: 100% But I may be open to asking for additional pieces.
Interface: 15% Still working on how I want to implement all the new, revolutionary systems I want to use.

Stats:
Be either a male or a female! You still play as Chief Editor, but it does change up the dialog and potential events.
17 romancible characters! While some are limited by gender, most characters can be part of [BxB] and [GxG].
No clue on how many CGs!
An completely unknown word count! Based on the outlines, it is going to be a doozy.
Explore a twisting labyrinth of nightmares and shadows as you pursue the truth.
Fight terrifying beasts with up to two additional comrades!
Relationship based stats! Unlock new abilities and increase your stats with the power of socializing and discovering the mysteries hidden in of your classmates' hearts. No pointless grinds of mobs... maybe.
Movement using the new Screens code. I'm totally stoked to start using my new knowledge of it for evi- Good. For good. Totally not evil.
MORE TO COME!!!

Expected completion date:
Too early to say. August 2012 is the latest currently forecasted.

Cast:

Katajion High Class 2B
(Left to right)
Kestrels copy.png
Oliver Emmerson: Jock of the class. Very bold and brazen with whatever he wants to do. To him, grades are only as important as whatever the cut-off to maintain his chances at getting a scholarship to a good college says they are. If he never had to go to class, he would be happiest person in the world.

Lenna Edeck: There's nothing Lenna hates more than the chaos her class creates, causing her to become distant. Her efforts to maintain reason and order are constantly foiled by the rest of the class, but she keeps trying to make something of a normal school life. However, she is the most mature out of the bunch, often speaking the unheard voice of reason.

Nick Zealeuos: Manipulative and scheming, he heads up the drama department and speech team. He couldn't care less about the rest of the class if it means tarnishing his reputation. He's won the hearts of many girls with his cold, smooth demenor. He is the half-brother of Uhi, but the pair spend most of their time pretending the other doesn't exist.

Yoi Mono: A new transfer student to the school from Trilani Senior High. She was accelerated a year at her old school, so many make fun of her, calling her the baby of the class. Yoi tries to take it in stride, maintaining a cheery outlook, but it only is an act to hide her sorrow. This leads her to try and be funny, but often just makes her look foolish and bumbling. She wants to go back to her old school.

Bulsar Trigin: Bulsar is often nicknamed the cranky old man. While his test scores are average, he is a member of almost every single club the school has. Pomp and circumstance mean nothing to him, often calling the school a farce of education. However, he genuinely cares for his classmates and goes out of his way to help the school whenever he can.

Qrinz Tholme: Often described as eccentric and several bricks short of a load, Qrinz believes in the supernatural. Incredibly random and easily distracted, none of her fellow classmates understand the reasons she often dyes her hair or wears tinted contacts. Qrinz also is the sole member of the school's art club.

Komi Tsuku: The class representative in lieu of the transfer of their last representative. While he doesn't want anything more than to go to school and go home, he takes the responsibility in stride and tries to manage the class into something other than the wreck they normally are. However, this puts him in directly conflict with Sora, leading to the never-ending exhaustion of her antics to outshow him.

Syl Logivechk: Quiet, shy, and a bookworm, Syl rarely says anything. However, when she does choose to enter in a conversation, she shows wisdom beyond her years. Even though she seems to be spaced out most of the time, she does pay some attention. Her parents died when she was young, but she was taken in by her cousin Komi's family. Even though they act like brother and sister, some suspect there is a physical relationship between the two of them.

Sora Doichu: Sora is the class president. She's very sassy and aggressive, pursuing her objectives with an almost maddening furor. Almost always at the top of the class with her grades and expected to make it into whatever college she chooses. However, when she is away from her classmates, she likes to lounge around, watch TV, and work on model cars, telling her few friends that she works hard during the day so she can slack off at night.

Uhi Vi: Sora often jokes that he is the NPC of the class. Uhi has a very average academic record, doesn't get in trouble, doesn't have any hobbies that he wants to talk about, and only helps with the bare minimums with class assignments. Even his taste in food is bland, preferring to cook his own meal than anything the cafeteria has to offer.

Sol Hackett: Strict and dedicated, Sol often pours his heart and soul into assignments, pushing himself to the edge to always be the best. Unfortunately, he often earns the ire from the other classmates for creating more work for the rest of them. He organizes every thing he does, cross referencing and deciding based off of the most logical choice.

Exchange students from Mitakia High
Kestrels2 copy.png
Faye Moonfallow: Faye wants to be a botanist when she grows up, dedicating all her free time to helping protect the environment and landscaping around her school. Mitakia High School's grounds were boring her, so when the opportunity to take an exchange project to the north arose, she jumped on immediately. Outspoken when it comes to nature and holistic medicines, quiet and often passionless when it comes to everything else.

Kari Howe: Kari is the only daughter of the northern providence's governor and is her class's representative. She is used to people trying to use her to get favors from her father or a pawn in political games. She's adapted to maintaining a wise, but gentle public face, concealing her true emotions from all but Merina, the only person she truly trusts. Kari was the driving force behind the class exchange, pushing for a single chance to escape her scripted life and be free of her father's direct influence.

Merina Jobs: Merina was taken in by Governor Howe and acts as an assistant and confidant to Kari. Merina came from a very abusive family, going days without food and often suffering violent maltreatment from her father. It was Kari who helped her out of that household, breeding an undying loyalty in Merina's heart. While she is very talkative when she's with Kari, she barely mumbles more than one or two words to the others, doing whatever she can to get out of the conversation and away.

Náme Wagner: Náme is a diehard video game enthusiast and regional chess player. Gaming in all forms is her life, leading her to often dismiss her schoolwork for whatever the latest release is available. She tries her best to socialize with her fellows, but often gets made fun of due to her nerdy habits. She's grown bitter with high school, preferring her virtual friends to the flesh and blood ones. Náme is coming with the exchange group because she was tricked into signing up by Olivia.

Figerit Chocker: Figerit doesn't want to be here. Figerit doesn't want to be anywhere. Figerit hates you and everything you stand for. You might as well just walk always right now. If you stick around, odds are you are going to end up with a bruised body and a black eye. The only reason he is on the exchange is because Mitakia High wants to get rid of him.

Olivia McNally: Olivia is publicly the school's network administrator. Privately, she is one of the world's most infamous hackers. She finds most things in life humorous and nothing more than jokes on a galactic scale. To her, life is nothing more than a short flash before fading to darkness, so why not play around with what little light there is. Her classmates worry that her daring and unflinching behavior is what will end up with her either dead or in jail, but even that is only temporary to her.

Teachers/ other staff
(First and last character of exchange students)

Bartimus Smith: Dr. Bartimus Smith is the professor in charge of class 2B. Unlike the rest of the teaching staff at Katajion High School, Dr. Smith (or Dr. BS as he prefers to be called) has 13 PhDs and is the smartest man you'll ever meet. His stellar record allows him to not only be the math teacher, but the science, English, social studies, foreign language, and every other topic known to man, making him the sole teacher of class 2B. Not only has he done everything you have, but he's done it twice and better than you. He can't help it, it comes with his PhD in awesome.

Rena Onday: Rena is the school's nurse and chaperone. She doesn't talk much with the students, preferring to keep her distance and watch from afar, only intervening when the situation calls for it.

Main character
Kestrels3 copy.png
Chief Editor (aka Jade Skylar): Our hero of the story. Sharp witted with more than a little sarcasm, Jade is often lauded as a hard-working, creative man who always accelerated at everything other than making friends. High school was nothing more than a series of painful memories, so finding himself trapped back in those days again leaves him with an overwhelming desire to get back to his normal life and the home he built for himself. Much to his regret, it becomes painfully clear that he is going to have to overcome his fears and face both the demons in front of him and the ones within if he ever wants to go back to his quiet, lonely life of internet gaming.

Anyway, that is it for now. I'm going to try and keep things updated as I chug along. Remember: By supporting IDHAS studios, I have the motivation to make this a reality sooner rather than later.

Edit 1: Minor grammar error that was bugging me.
Last edited by KomiTsuku on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Kestrels [B/G x B/G]

#2 Post by Veniae »

O.O Can I simply state I love the sound of this? And the art is really pretty~

I'm so going to play when it's finished. Good luck! <3

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#3 Post by KomiTsuku »

Veniae wrote:O.O Can I simply state I love the sound of this? And the art is really pretty~

I'm so going to play when it's finished. Good luck! <3
Glad to hear. ^_^ It a strange mix of new (school age) and old (KDF storyline and mystery) themes for me, so I'm really hoping that people will like it.

Veniae
Veteran

#4 Post by Veniae »

Well, as long as you enjoy doing it, all is good.

And I'm sure the others will like it too. (:

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#5 Post by ririruetoo »

I really want to play this! I can't wait until you get farther in the script ( need any ideas?).

(By the way, on the subject says B/G B/G shouldn't it say something along the lines of B/G G/B?)
ImageImageImage

Arcanum
Veteran

#6 Post by Arcanum »

I think it's supposed to mean that you're able to pay as a boy/girl and romance a boy/girl (there's an x in the middle - so, same sex and different sex relationships)

Anyway, I'm super excited… I love beng able to pick my gender and the romantic interest's gender. It's fun! I don't usually like school settings, but this has drawn my interest because of the nifty features =D The gameplay looks really cool.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

Oh wow! The plot and the gameplay looks really cool and the art is simply superb.
I also like the title, it's sort of catchy, I've been repeatedly saying it already. ^^'
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by KomiTsuku »

ririruetoo wrote:I really want to play this! I can't wait until you get farther in the script ( need any ideas?).

(By the way, on the subject says B/G B/G shouldn't it say something along the lines of B/G G/B?)
Arcanum wrote:I think it's supposed to mean that you're able to pay as a boy/girl and romance a boy/girl (there's an x in the middle - so, same sex and different sex relationships)

Anyway, I'm super excited… I love beng able to pick my gender and the romantic interest's gender. It's fun! I don't usually like school settings, but this has drawn my interest because of the nifty features =D The gameplay looks really cool.
Arcanum has it spot on. Both hetero and homosexual relations on both sides of the coin are possible. It's adding to the number of outlines I'm writing, but I really wanted to give players a large berth of characters to choose from and storylines to pursue. There are going to be easier characters to develop relations with (the investigation team) but I want to open more doors.

I always take ideas. Even if they aren't something I can use, they always have the potential to spark something.
SilverxBlue wrote:I also like the title, it's sort of catchy, I've been repeatedly saying it already. ^^'
There is some hidden meaning in this one. It actually dates to an old RP, like almost everything I've done. It was a rather random name someone once called our little troop. We liked how it sounded and the meaning behind it. We weren't big eagles or hawks, but we were still dangerous, still flying, and hunting the rats that corrupted us. It returned to be used for this game because... well... it just felt right.

LadyAvori
Regular

#9 Post by LadyAvori »

I just wanted you to know that I will be stalking you for the next year now ^.^

I love stories where characters are transported to different/fictional worlds/times. And I love the idea of being able to choose to be male or female! I also love the art. So yea, like I said, I'll be stalking you...ah this I mean!

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by KomiTsuku »

LadyAvori wrote:I just wanted you to know that I will be stalking you for the next year now ^.^

I love stories where characters are transported to different/fictional worlds/times. And I love the idea of being able to choose to be male or female! I also love the art. So yea, like I said, I'll be stalking you...ah this I mean!
*hides*

Just kidding. ^_^ I'm actually going to try and keep a regular update schedule on progress around here, in addition to posting snip-its of story, screenshots, and some fan art/commissions of the characters.

And speaking of art, here's a pair of commission pieces of two characters.

One of Qrinz by KagamiUtsuro:
Qrinz_by_kagamiutsuro.png
And on of Sora by Mibu-no-Ookami
sora_by_mibu_no_ookami.png

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by KomiTsuku »

Kestrels is currently in release limbo. There is a high likelihood that we are going to cancel it entirely, but we are going to combine a lot of the features from this game into Rising Angels.

Edit: Since I'm bad at keeping everything up-to-date, you can listen to my rants on the website and read what I am up to instead. Link in the signature.