The Dating Sim Tech Demo REVISED (RPG Maker XP)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sailor Taurus

The Dating Sim Tech Demo REVISED (RPG Maker XP)

#1 Post by Sailor Taurus »

Ok, i'm hoping this is the right place to post this.
This is basically (as far as I know), the first Dating Sim system on RPG Maker XP. I have tried numerous programs beforehand (Ren'py being one of them), but could never grasp them, so upon discovering the (legal) english RMXP, I decided to give it a shot in that (I am familiar with the older makes like RM95).

The system will be open source (people can open it and see how it was made, and use any Dating Sim specific scripts in it), and stars a cast rendered in Poser 6. As far as I know, this is also the first game to feature Yamato's BelBel 3D model.

Information about the game can be seen here:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1518

And yes, the game does have voice acting (decent VAing aswell, Kagome is in it X3), and has been in the works since Nov 2005.

I hope to release the Conversation Demo in the next few months, which is a demo feature 3 of the fully scripted cutscenes in the game.

Anyways any comments on this is welcome. I'm just hoping I posted this in the right place. ^_^ Actually, some of the inspiration (such as having special stills in the game) were inspired by one of Lemma Soft's game (the one where you trekked through the forest), but it's main inspiration comes from Wind ~A breath of heart~ (different POSES for each expression, full voice acting, Message Window style).

P.S I just updated it with a new screenshot, the first appearence of Azura.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

Hiya!

I'd have thought that someone who could program a custom system for rpgmaker would have no problem with renpy.

So basically, this is gonna be a dating sim engine developed for rpgmaker XP with using still images of 3D models right?

The graphics certainly look good.

btw, what's with all the "due to a hack attempt" posts in that forum?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

I'm usually no fan of 3D but I admit the girls look rather unique and the poses are expressive.
I'm also surprised you're doing better with RMXP than Ren'Py ^^;. I went the other way actually :)

Sailor Taurus

#4 Post by Sailor Taurus »

Well, i'm not big on the scripting things. I'm more of the variables and switches person. A kind member called Destined has written a Dating Sim CMS (Custom Menu System), and to make it easier on his side he also created a system which allows me to set a character's Relationship Status just by typing something like "set status.relationship(Usako) = Girlfriend" instead of using a bunch of switches for that.

And when i first tried Ren'py, no matter how hard I tried I could not alter it...I would never see the changes in gameplay. I may think about going back to it, but right now i'm liking RMXP due to customisability (e.g NearPhatastica's Advanced message system allows you to change fonts, font size, meesage box size, display names in seperate boxes, display items and symbols, etc). Besides, people can use this system and alter it so there are RPG elements (such as battles, like that oldish Lemma Soft game).

And incase anyone owns Poser and is interested in the model I used, it's BelBel by Yamato, and can be found here:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=4016

EDIT: BTW, it was originally meant to be a short, 1 girl demo with only one conversation and a very basic variables/switches relationship system, plus a short tutorial on how to use it. But it then it was a full system with 2 girls, and now it's turning into an actual game! ^^" It'll still be open source when finished. ^_^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

Sailor Taurus wrote:And when i first tried Ren'py, no matter how hard I tried I could not alter it...I would never see the changes in gameplay.
Very strange ô_o... Could it be that you didn't edit the right file (there are two scripts in the whole archive and only one is the active one) ?

Jake
Support Hero

#6 Post by Jake »

Sailor Taurus wrote:no matter how hard I tried I could not alter it...I would never see the changes in gameplay.
Just as an aside, in case it's useful to anyone else, I have the same problem from time to time. Not all the time, but occasionally. I don't know whether it's the fault of my text editor (NoteTab Light) or RenPy - and I suspect the former is more likely - but I gather that the problem was that RenPy wasn't picking up that the script file had changed so it was continuing to use the old compiled versions of the scripts.
In the end, I started running the game via a batch file that deletes the compiled versions, and I've not had that problem since.

Assuming Windows, if you create a new text file in the directory that the RenPy executable is in, give it a '.bat' extension (I call mine 'zGo.bat', largely 'cause that sorts it to the end of the list and it's easy to find) and put the following in it:

Code: Select all

@echo off
del .\game\*.rpyc
run_game.exe
Then run that to start the game instead of the 'run_game.exe' application, then you should never have a problem with old versions of scripts. On the other hand, the game takes longer to start ('cause it has to recompile everything!) and you get a black console window pop up before the game does, so you should obviously get rid of it before release.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

Sailor Taurus >> Very impressive work and an ambitious project. I hope you are successful with the demo, it looks really cheerful and fun. The best of luck to you. 8)

As a matter of fact February And March was done in RPGMaker - and its development went very smothly after one or two difficulties with Ren'Py. So Ren'Py may not be everyone's cup of hot chocolate... on the other hand, it has very good support, not only officially, but also from the many people working with it... but a new engine is always good.

We've had quite a few... ProjectH, OpenDatingSim, Sourceforge, Narrative GE and others (Paths is active). BunnyEngine, LoveRevo Engine and so on... [don't mind me, just refreshing my memory a bit]

Jake >> I use NoteTab too ^_^ It's the best!

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#8 Post by mugenjohncel »

And when i first tried Ren'py, no matter how hard I tried I could not alter it...I would never see the changes in gameplay.
Wow! and I thought I am the only lucky guy to have that problem.

I also once have that problem and I somehow reproduced that particular phenomenon almost 100%.

But that problem usually manifest if...

I opened the file in notepad, edit it and then run renpy while notepad is still open then edit the notepad and save while renpy is still running then close renpy. After that try editing the script and save it then close.

Now try playing the game and youll notice that the last edit you did on the script doesnt really reflect on the game (and it will stay that way) but one quick look at the script and you will clearly see that the script is definitely the last one you edit.

I suspect that renpy stores another copy of the script somewhere before your last edit.

Workaround...

Copy your entire script on a fresh notepad outside the renpy directory then delete the old renpy directory. After that go get a fresh copy of renpy then paste your work in there.

Hope this helps.

Sailor Taurus

#9 Post by Sailor Taurus »

Bad news, I lost my VA for Mina (Koshiba).
Good news, I recasted her. Mina is now being voiced by the talented Christina Mae (and Mina will have an australian accent =D).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

mugenjohncel wrote:Copy your entire script on a fresh notepad outside the renpy directory then delete the old renpy directory. After that go get a fresh copy of renpy then paste your work in there.
Quicker : delete any .rpyc and .rpyb file from the game folder, then retry. These files are compiled version of your script(s) and sometimes they don't get refreshed correctly (file timestamp issues).