Yesterday Again | WIP dystopian GxB [10/28 DEMO UP!)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
aestate
Regular
Projects: Twinkle Twinkle

Yesterday Again | WIP dystopian GxB [10/28 DEMO UP!)

#1 Post by aestate »

Dystopian, Mystery | GxB, sort-of-GxG (but romance is not the focus!) | Demo by fall 2011 | Release by summer 2012??

WARNING, THIS IS A LONG PREAMBLE. Feel free to skip this LOL.
I've tinkered around with a few game ideas (and actually ended up finishing one, but trust me, it was
very plotless), but this will be the first game that DAGNABBIT, I'LL FORCE MYSELF TO FINISH / RELEASE.
The story's based on an idea that's been kind of floating around in my head for a year now. So I have
been tinkering around with this for ages, and I will be kind of irritated if it bugs me any longer with its
incompleteness. ANYWAY, please forgive the generic plot (but dystopian stories are satisfying, amirite).
Also, I apologise in advance that my writing totally does not suit "darker" stories. Heh. ;A;

Sprites : MR MOREAU (base 100%, expressions 100%) | SIE (100%, 100%) | 8059 (100%, 25%).
Story : ACT ONE (100%) | ACT TWO (100%) | ACT THREE (35%) | ACT FOUR (0%) | ACT FIVE (75%).
* The VN won't actually be released in "acts", by the way--it's just easier to divide the different scenes into parts.
And yes, I am one of those people who write out the ending before filling up the story in between (I know, it's awful).

Backgrounds : 30%.
Music : 25%.

UPDATED DECEMBER 12, 2011.
The game contains 838 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 13,751 words,
for an average of 16.4 words per screen.
The game contains 15 menus.

NOTE : click on the icons to see the full-size image. You know you want to to. Heeheehee.

Image Image
Image Image

Comments would be amazing (and would make me ridiculously giddy)! Please tell me what you think. <3
I promise, I'll update with more exciting stuff (i.e. moar art) soon. Ranty updates will be on my devblog.

HEY FRIENDS, I COME BEARING A DEMO!
It's pretty short ~3000 words. Regardless, I hope you enjoy the demo. (Also, I swear I don't normally use CAPSLOCK this often!)
Last edited by aestate on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 am, edited 12 times in total.
tumblr.Umbrella Cookie.dA.
Current Project: Twinkle Twinkle.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Yesterday Again - Are You (not)Guilty? | WIP dystopian G

#2 Post by Camille »

This seems really interesting! I love your sprites and the way you've organized this post. /sucker for aesthetics I will be stalking this post. :D Yay for Mr. Moreau and his glasses~ <3 Best of luck!

aestate
Regular

#3 Post by aestate »

Camille wrote:This seems really interesting! I love your sprites and the way you've organized this post. /sucker for aesthetics I will be stalking this post. :D Yay for Mr. Moreau and his glasses~ <3 Best of luck!
Heh, thank you. >//< (You have such a lovely eye for creating graphics, by the way! They are so nice and professional-looking. Sorry I am a total lurker.) I have a strange attachment to glasses characters too, hurr. Is it wrong for me to play favourites and say I like Mr Moreau the best? LOL.

I will work hard to complete this game!

Serendipity
Regular

#4 Post by Serendipity »

Wow, this looks great and the color scheme (alongside the sprites)...*q* look great and the story is very interesting. Take your time and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to finish this.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#5 Post by Camille »

aestate wrote:Heh, thank you. >//< (You have such a lovely eye for creating graphics, by the way! They are so nice and professional-looking. Sorry I am a total lurker.) I have a strange attachment to glasses characters too, hurr. Is it wrong for me to play favourites and say I like Mr Moreau the best? LOL.

I will work hard to complete this game!
(Aww thank you, haha. <3 I have to make up for my lack of drawing ability somehow. XD) I think it's pretty natural to get attached to some of your characters more than others. It's impossible to love them all equally. The trick is not letting this show in your work. If one character/love interest is emphasized way more than the others in the story, that's usually not good. :c

As long as you pace yourself well and not get too distracted for too long, you'll definitely finish. :3

Arcanum
Veteran

#6 Post by Arcanum »

An interesting premise! I love otome games with stories that don't revolve around the romantic interest. Solving a mystery is just as fun (and a huge YAY for dystopia) =D Also - the sprites are very, veeery pretty, and I love the soft pastel colors. What I can see from the WIP section looks great *g*

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

Oh WOW!
Another interesting project to look forward to, the plot is simply <3. Dystopian stories FTW!
And I totally love your art style, it's so pretty and pleasing to my eyes. ^^
I have started stalking checked your devblog and I've been wanting to ask this. Whatever will happen to RageQQ?
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Veniae
Veteran

#8 Post by Veniae »

*drools*

Okay, there is not a thing I don't like about this game so far. Dystopia + mystery + an interesting-sounding plot + great character art... I'm so looking forward to this! And also, absolutely love the way you've done the first post, it looks pro.

The best of luck and I hope to see more soon. <3

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#9 Post by TakeOverWorld »

Ah, this looks like it going to be great, the art is pretty , the story sounds interesting, and I really like the title (I'm rubbish at coming up with titles). :D

aestate
Regular

#10 Post by aestate »

UPDATE (04/08/11)

The game contains 621 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 8,489 words,
for an average of 13.7 words per screen.
The game contains 8 menus.

I did some HARDCORE EDITING, which sadly does not make the statistics look very impressive. Haha. I also finished up expressions for Mr Moreau's sprite, and got around to colouring the sprites' clothing. (Although I'm still kind of debating whether or not the look cooler with only base colours. I'll update soon with pictures so I can force ask your thoughts on this.)

ANYWAY, thanks so much for your thoughts, guys~I've been smiling to myself for the past few minutes after reading what you wrote.
I probably shouldn't reveal myself as such a creep. LOLOLOL.
Serendipity wrote:Wow, this looks great and the color scheme (alongside the sprites)...*q* look great and the story is very interesting. Take your time and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to finish this.
Thank you for your words of encouragement! Lately, I've been having this obsession with purple, so I've sort of it been slapping it on everything I make LOL. I've been working on this pretty consistently, so I'll have this done soon. *victory dance?*
Camille wrote:(Aww thank you, haha. <3 I have to make up for my lack of drawing ability somehow. XD) I think it's pretty natural to get attached to some of your characters more than others. It's impossible to love them all equally. The trick is not letting this show in your work. If one character/love interest is emphasized way more than the others in the story, that's usually not good. :c

As long as you pace yourself well and not get too distracted for too long, you'll definitely finish. :3
(Hah, I'm sure you're not as bad as you make yourself out to be. Graphics-making and drawing go hand-in-hand, right? *sketchy theory*) It's good to hear that I'm not some unnatural, awful creator and everyone experiences favouritism. ;P Also, I actually lol'd at the thought of having one character's path be like ULTRA EMPHASISED. I laugh at weird things OTL.
Arcanum wrote:An interesting premise! I love otome games with stories that don't revolve around the romantic interest. Solving a mystery is just as fun (and a huge YAY for dystopia) =D Also - the sprites are very, veeery pretty, and I love the soft pastel colors. What I can see from the WIP section looks great *g*
Heehee, an otome game that doesn't revolve around romance is so paradoxical, amirite. Although I have to sadly say it's not some fullblown AGATHA CHRISTIE-esque mystery haha (DYSTOPIA WOO). Thank you so much; you're too kind!! Also, ahhhh, pastel colours really? People comment about how I use pastel colours a lot BUT I DON'T DO IT ON PURPOSEEE. ;_;

And kind of unrelated, but OMG RARGH YOUR ART IS SO GORGEOUS AND YOUR COLOURING SKILLS ARE GODLY~MAKE A GAME.
SilverxBlue wrote:Oh WOW!
Another interesting project to look forward to, the plot is simply <3. Dystopian stories FTW!
And I totally love your art style, it's so pretty and pleasing to my eyes. ^^
I have started stalking checked your devblog and I've been wanting to ask this. Whatever will happen to RageQQ?
C-C-COMBOBREAKER (the lulsy chain of people with red-haired avatars? Haha, sorry, I'm lame)!! Thank you for your ridiculously nice comments, FELLOW ENJOYER OF DYSTOPIAN STORIES. >:)

Oh wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who stalks checks other peoples' devblogs, hurrhurrhurr. "rageQQ" is the utterly plotless otome game I mentioned in this thread, sadly enough. I did finish it, but I'd feel REALLY AWKWARD releasing it, haha. (But if you enjoy light and lulsy otome games like that, I have a remake of one of my old old projects in the works~ *shameless plug*)
Veniae wrote:*drools*

Okay, there is not a thing I don't like about this game so far. Dystopia + mystery + an interesting-sounding plot + great character art... I'm so looking forward to this! And also, absolutely love the way you've done the first post, it looks pro.

The best of luck and I hope to see more soon. <3
Oh my god, I totally misread your comment the first time around, and thought you said "there is one thing I don't like". I saw your list and was like >n<, thinking "NOOO Y U NO LIKE ANYTHING". /fail. Then I reread it a second time and giggled to myself quietly at how lovely your comments are. Hahaha. <3
TakeOverWorld wrote:Ah, this looks like it going to be great, the art is pretty , the story sounds interesting, and I really like the title (I'm rubbish at coming up with titles).
Thank you so much! (And I'm glad you like the title! I'd actually spent a pathetically long time thinking of titles before giving up and starting doing some graphics for the game. AND THEN BAM! Inspiration hit, and here we are.)

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#11 Post by SilverxBlue »

aestate wrote:C-C-COMBOBREAKER (the lulsy chain of people with red-haired avatars? Haha, sorry, I'm lame)!! Thank you for your ridiculously nice comments, FELLOW ENJOYER OF DYSTOPIAN STORIES. >:)

Oh wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who stalks checks other peoples' devblogs, hurrhurrhurr. "rageQQ" is the utterly plotless otome game I mentioned in this thread, sadly enough. I did finish it, but I'd feel REALLY AWKWARD releasing it, haha. (But if you enjoy light and lulsy otome games like that, I have a remake of one of my old old projects in the works~ *shameless plug*)
Ehhhh? Sorry.
And no problem! It's clear that you deserve them.

Yeah, I instantly bookmark devblogs if I see that the project they're working on has a lot of potential.
I see. Well, I hope you get to release it soon. It would be quite sad if a completed project won't see the light of day. :)
I do enjoy lulsy otome games, it's nice to have a bit of a good laugh. :mrgreen:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

lazykitsune

#12 Post by lazykitsune »

Such beautiful art! *u* The dystopian aspect is also very interesting! I like how this sounds so far~

-stalks-

Kyona
Projects: Sea Legends

#13 Post by Kyona »

Wow, this sounds really great! I will definitly play it when it's released.
I just love these kind of stories. <3

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#14 Post by Dakishimete »

Hmm... does 8059 'name' has anything to do with Katekyo Hitman Reborn or is it just my imagination?

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#15 Post by TsukiShima »

The background is beautiful! *O* Did you get it somewhere or did you made it? I'm sorry it made me so curious. Your story sounds interesting, and the title, is quite catchy. But I can't really see the (not) in the title picture, is it suppose to do that?

Good luck with it! x3