Brief Moment/brief respite WIP

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Brief Moment/brief respite WIP

#1 Post by Applegate »

... that title wasn't as "working" as I thought it was... ah well!

So I'm not normally one for WIP threads, but a friend said that there is no better way to test the waters, prepare the populace and interest potential support than by presenting your handiwork. So I'm at a stage where I can showcase a little of the project, and I suppose I should.

A Brief Moment (title changes every time I talk about it)
This VN tells the story of Rachel, a young girl in the midst of a quarterlife crisis - is she doing the thing she wants to be? Does she really want to be a teacher? Or was that just a spur of the moment? Her friends have gathered to cheer her up the only way they know how: loud music, beer and merry gathering.

This doesn't work out as well as they hope. From there, the reader makes a few key decisions for Rachel. Will she decide to be a teacher after all, or is her future something different?

So, okay... how long is this story?
In my usual trend of short stories, the finished path is probably around 2,300 words. The VN counts 2500 words right now, though, but that includes a small bit of unfinished path. It should not hamper the play, and it should be readable in ten minutes.

Can't you write something longer? >:|
I feel more is less, and the story exposes just the right amount of things you need to know to touch on the subject. Ultimately, all paths together should count up to 6,000 words or thereabouts, which I feel is a pleasant amount.

So you mentioned choice options.
Yep. All but one so far have a meaningful impact on the story. I plan to include a few nonsensical ones and a few meaningful ones, so you can do more than just read. I intend to place them so that you needn't play a specific route multiple times just to get all possible story options.

Why should I care about this story?
Uh... you don't need to!

Who're the characters?
The characters who star in the story are:

Rachel, 22-year-old Main Character
The protagonist. She's in the middle of a crisis where she doesn't know what she wants. Normally a peppy and upbeat girl, but despite that, she honestly dislikes shouldering huge responsibilities. Contemplative despite cheerfulness.

Roan, 22-year-old School Friend
Rachel's closest friend at school. They tend to coach eachother. Naturally, he's the one who looks out for her most and organised the "Cheer Up Rachel" party. He tends to want to be right and doesn't understand why Rachel's so conflicted.

Alex, 9-year-old Kid
A soccer fanatic who accidentally bumps into Rachel. He experiences any emotion wildly, and quickly leaps through emotions. Very naive and trusting, but also very outgoing.

Davis, 19-year-old Student
A boy who had a crush on Rachel two years ago. Since, he's been trying to track her down again to finally did what he couldn't two years ago. Normally, his efforts are fruitless, but if Rachel does certain things, maybe his destiny will change...!

Miss Cheung, 51-year-old Nurse
An old lady who nurses people even older than her. Moved to the village from China some 30 years ago, and still hasn't completely mastered the local language. Rachel looks up to her a lot, even though she's a little eccentric.

Screenshots naow
Er, well, the background, title and sprites are all placeholders, but I guess...!

Download Link for Demos etc?
Right here:

Brief Moment Demo - All platforms

Well, comments and feedback are always appreciated, I guess!

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: Brief Moment/brief respite WIP

#2 Post by Wright1000 »

I am downloading the demo now, but... what kind of sprite is that?
Or maybe I should instead ask, "Is that a sprite?" :lol:
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Applegate »

That's a stickfigure I drew just so I had a working model of how I wanted the layout to be. I like to use original resources for my bigger projects, so if I don't find an artist, the stickfigures might well become the sprites I'll use. :D

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#4 Post by Wright1000 »

Not a bad idea.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Applegate »

Well, the background is a disaster, so I'll likely just grab some pictures off of Flickr that are in the public domain if all else fails. No sense making it a graphical disaster entirely if at least some part of it can be fixed. I have neither great aptitude for art nor for writing, so I do what I can~

Poketto Kunoichi
Regular

#6 Post by Poketto Kunoichi »

Haha, the stick figure made me smile.

I'll be looking forward to updates. The plot sounds quite intriguing and unique. :) It's rare to come across a teacher's POV in comparison to a student's, but you don't need me to tell you that. xD

Good luck!

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#7 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

well. until the stick figures don't get their way into the release, are OK (I guess the elders here remember the "sprites" of the 2005 Amatire ;) )

I must also notice that. as pointed in one of the teacup VN threads, there's enough decent sprites for development purpose...

and a curiosity, seems to me that the point of the screenshot is showing the text (albeit I admit that the layout is interesting), so why was not considered a cut'n paste of the text ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#8 Post by Omnificent »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Stick figures no longer. Omni has joined the party.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Applegate »

Just reviving this out of nowhere (and I see Mink is reading this, for some reason. Hi!).

The past few months have been rather busy, but all-in-all I've managed to book some progress on this story. I've begun nearing the 5,000 words mark, which I am very pleased with, and have managed to find a good friend willing to help me out a bit with a visual representation of the characters in the story. Some of what I wrote in the opening post has been rewritten or revamped, some things are still completely true.

The way work progresses, I estimate it won't be until January before I can call this work finished.
It's rare to come across a teacher's POV in comparison to a student's, but you don't need me to tell you that. xD
To clarify this a bit: Rachel is a student still, but she aims to become a teacher after her studies. None of the scenes take place in the classroom, and there is only one young child in the story. You're still presented a student's point of view, but the matter discussed is mostly the difficulty in deciding the rest of your life at around age 18 (or there abouts, depending on location and your life). The story is aimed to capture that indecisive moment where you ask "Will I be happy if I continue doing this?", and the way Rachel reaches an answer. There are three "paths" included, each yielding a different kind of answer, but hopefully each presenting an answer people can agree to.
and a curiosity, seems to me that the point of the screenshot is showing the text (albeit I admit that the layout is interesting), so why was not considered a cut'n paste of the text ?
I felt a simple copy and paste of the text would be less boring than a screenshot, and the screenshot displayed a visual for people to gawk at. I can happily say I've since updated the layout and direction of presentation:

EDIT: And I am cut in my response by Omnificent. :P You dastardly devil, you.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#10 Post by manga_otaku »

WOOOOOOO! I will download this later...later being not at half 12 in the morning xD.

Stick figures - you shall be missed but not forgotten.
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]