Under the Gun

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
swimmingkoi

Under the Gun

#1 Post by swimmingkoi »

Writing for a super short mobster-ish bara game. Actually just posting here so I can send it to rodent easier.

This was completed in less than 24 hours and is the first writing I've ever done like this. I almost definitely won't do anything like it again (I don't really write hentai or super suggestive stories or yaoi).

Pretty much I saw rodent's post about "bara anyone?" and then whipped this up on a whim as kind of a self-challenge/quick project.

That said it's probably 18+ for language and violence and suggestive-ness.

Although there are no actual sprites in the game at the moment. Just kinda bad writing and really crummy backgrounds.

Also bad coding because if rodent's not interested in drawing it I'll probably drop it since that was the whole impetus for the project and I can't think of anyone else that would draw studly men :oops: .

Statistics:

The game contains 133 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 1,859 words,
for an average of 14.0 words per screen.
The game contains 6 menus.
Attachments
Under the Gun-mac.zip
(10.33 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
Under the Gun-win32.zip
(7.36 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by swimmingkoi on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Under the Gun

#2 Post by fleet »

So let me summarize. You've posted no screen shots, not much information on the plot, and said that the coding is bad.

As of the time I read your post, it had 72 views, but nobody has downloaded your game.

Maybe adding a screenshot and providing more plot information might inspire someone to look at it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

swimmingkoi

#3 Post by swimmingkoi »

Sorry :( . If anyone's curious the *text* part of the story is complete (as a first draft) and there is some sound. But the illustrations are totally not and the sound effects aren't all in there. On its longest story line, this game takes 10 minutes to play. On its shortest, prolly more like five minutes.

It's about an ex-boxer who is joining the mob and whose first mission is to kill someone.
It's a yaoi game and (when there are illustrations) will probably feature an (optional) hentai scene.
The text is currently suggestive but nowhere near explicit.
There are basically two endings.

What I meant in the original post was that it's readable, but it's not polished and has no sprites. The coding is fine for a stand in quick run through, but as I'm looking at it there are always small things to fix.

It's mainly here to help me coordinate with the artist more quickly (i.e. through lemma) and I figured if anyone did feel like reading it and commenting on the story that would be a nice bonus.

The person I really needed to d/l it was rodent (the artist) who did and has started working on art-- sorry if this was the wrong place for that :oops:

The only finished thing in this piece is the text and story, which also may change slightly depending on the illustrations and is also pending edits (it hasn't really been proofread because I just wanted to get a script out to see if the artist was interested), so I was planning on updating this post when I have more sprites. Posting screenshots of what I have now would, I think, be a deterrent in the long run because I made the backgrounds and... yeah I'm not an artist. A couple of them are ok, but mainly they're stand-ins.

Also the story is so short that, in such an unfinished state (without any illustrations even!), I wouldn't really want to talk it up, have people download it, and be disappointed.

rodent
Regular
Tumblr: jyagger

#4 Post by rodent »

hey, swimmingkoi

I guess I should post here instead of pm, to help clear the confusion :(

anyway, I roughly roughly finished three sprites if you will of the 3 characters. I accidentally saved over a file once and had to restart a finished character. That was heart shattering. And yeah, I'm just going for a single expression for now. I was just wondering if you need the images resized/cropped or do you prefer to do it?

strollin'

swimmingkoi

#5 Post by swimmingkoi »

Those look amazing! I know Reg, but which guy is which guy?

Also whatever size the first Reg was seemed to fit almost perfectly. The other two may need to be smaller so we can fit both of them on the screen. That or we can do scenes where two of them need to be in the same frame as still shots and just set it as the background?

The dark haired one is just a little bit too tall to fit on the screen by himself.

And communicating by pm may still be easier just because I can see the little bold 1 new message thing at the top :D

But it's cool if you need to upload the pictures here.
Last edited by swimmingkoi on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodent
Regular

#6 Post by rodent »

the buffer guy is Tommy. I think Arnie made a comment about his physique so I tried to make that visible.

and here are the original size pngs cutout from the background.

http://i.imgur.com/Mb5I.png
http://i.imgur.com/CaMf.png
http://i.imgur.com/Yden.png

edit: Right then, I can resize them. And off to the pm!

swimmingkoi

#7 Post by swimmingkoi »

So then it finally occurred to me that if I take a shot of the screen it's easier for you to judge what size they need to be. Like I said, I think Reg is perfect in his shot (it was the first everrrr pic I got of him).

Arnie and Tommy are the latest versions you pm'd me. Now they're kind of small and I'm wondering if they may need to be longer? But I'm not sure. I didn't want to resize myself because if you made slightly different ones for animation I'd throw it all off.

Anyway I also put up sketches of what I meant about doing still shots instead of having them both displayed on the screen at the same time. Those are two perspective options I thought might work. I figured we could not show a background in the still shot and just do action lines, so you'd just have to draw the characters in relation to each other (unless you want to draw a background).

If you don't like the idea, that's cool. I can definitely work it out with the sprites.

P.S. Try not to be dazzled by my amazing artistic talent... :P

P.P.S. I forgot to say it's an 800 x 600 screen.

P.P.P.S. I also forgot to say of course the buffer one is Tommy. Why would Tommy be lounging around his house in a coat? I'm smart... sooooooooo smart :oops:
Attachments
still2.png
still1.png
UGs2.png
UGs1.png

swimmingkoi

#8 Post by swimmingkoi »

Screenshot! Just in case you wanted to know what it looks like.
Attachments
UGs3.png

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#9 Post by illuminate001 »

Awww I wish this project hadn't simmered into nothingness... :cry:
I guess this is a necropost but I just had to say something.
ImageImage
ImageImage

rodent
Regular

#10 Post by rodent »

illuminate001 wrote:Awww I wish this project hadn't simmered into nothingness... :cry:
I guess this is a necropost but I just had to say something.
This is REALLY old, but yeah. I was really sad too. Probably not best to work with people you don't know irl. :S
Your game looks really awesome btw.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#11 Post by illuminate001 »

Hey Rodent or jyagger! Aw why thanks! Have you given "Let's MEAT Adam" a shot at all? =)

Anyways I'll be trying out your demos for Stranded and The Teacher. I really like your artstyle, its really distinct and beefy lol. I like it! <3

Have you considered hosting them on Itch.io? I've had alot of success with it and it has a great tracking system regarding metrics and analytics. I feel like your games would be able to be seen by a wider audience.
ImageImage
ImageImage

rodent
Regular

#12 Post by rodent »

I played a bit of the demo. Very nice presentation. Must have been a lot of work!
I actually did upload it to itch.io a few days ago after seeing it mentioned by someone here.

Yaoi Game Jam looks interesting. It's really great there is community around it and I'm excited to see the variety of entries.