Thorns [KN] [GxB, mostly]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Mihwa

Thorns [KN] [GxB, mostly]

#1 Post by Mihwa »

T h o r n s

Type: Kinetic Novel
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Romance, Historical, Tragedy

Summary:
She is Easnadh. She is Cäcilie. She is Adela. She is whoever they want and need as long as their life is forfeit. But with each fleeting romance, she hopes for it to last a little longer, be a little sweeter.
In the end, she is still the Leanan Sidhe, and her love is like a thorny bush, biting and tangling those in her embrace. Nicking and bleeding them till they breathe no more.

Characters:
The Leanan Sidhe:
She is a fairy, a sidhe, who offers inspiration and love to mortals in exchange for their life. She longs for love, but knows her existence will never allow it, at least not with a human. She uses many names and many guises as she travels the land, searching for a lover that will not die.

Mechthild der Puppenspieler:
Mechthild is a young woman of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Though she lived her short life alone, she enjoys performing puppet shows on the streets of Rothenburg. When she meets the Leanan Sidhe, her life becomes bright indeed, until one day…

Tomas of Forbes:

He is the grandson of the Earl of Forbes, and enjoys the privileges of his station. Perhaps that sense of entitlement and borderline naivety is what gets him trouble so often? But when Tomas and the Leanan cross paths, it is destined to end in tragedy.

Gilbert Nyeman:
For many years, this man has sought after the Leanan Sidhe, but he does not wish for her love. He desires only her death—retribution for her past crimes. But what could she have done to warrant a lifetime of hatred?

---

At the moment, I am working on writing the story, chapter by chapter, and then I will work on the renpy coding. Once I fully finish a chapter, I will post it here.

I do not have anyone working on models or backgrounds, but I am content with it being text-only. As for the music, I will use music from the general location and period of the story.

Thorns starts in 1300s Germany. Later chapters are in Scotland and Ireland. And it can go up to the 1800s or even modern times. There will be more characters than those I've already stated.
Last edited by Mihwa on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Thorns [KN] [GxB, mostly]

#2 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hey, this looks interesting! 8D

I've always wanted to read about doomed love stories, where it's really forbidden, not because one of them is a brooding emo. This story has potential!

Looking forward to it!

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#3 Post by Snow Blossom »

Oh I like the sound of this; my favorite type of KNs are tragedies!!
By the way, is your avatar from Mononoke?

Mihwa

#4 Post by Mihwa »

Snow Blossom wrote:Oh I like the sound of this; my favorite type of KNs are tragedies!!
By the way, is your avatar from Mononoke?
Yes. XD Kusuri-uri is ftw.

Mihwa

#5 Post by Mihwa »

More in depth plot/story progression:
SPOILERS!
Mind the format, it was taken directly from my msn conversation. XD
(Since that's how I brainstorm... apparently.)
it starts with mechthild
the leanan crosess path with her
she goes by cacilie in this
and then helps her with the puppet shows by making the different voices
since she's a fairy and is entitled to magical-ness
mechthild becomes infatuated
and it'll go on her a time like that
however, there will be a new contender that notices mechthild
and the leanan decides to leave her, since she knows that mecht
and the leanan decides to leave her, since she knows that mechthild will die if she stays

then she goes to Scotland
where she will meet tomas
same time period
i don't know the full story on that one yet, but it should be fairly long
it's going to end with him going missing though

then it's going to prob be 20-30 years later
and that's when gilbert will start showing up
so gilbert tries to kill her in most of the chapters
eventually you will learn why
he is the son of mechthild
and mechthild eventually went mad at the loss of the leanan
and killed herself
so gilbert blames the leanan
he may or may not also fall for the leanan
considering the the whole purpose of the leanan is that she's supposed to be unearthly beautiful
and inspire people
He's prob gonna die early too

then i might go ahead a few hundred years
And she travels through Carterhaugh
and there she finds someone who looks like tomas
but he's a fairy also
he told her that he once was human
but not he is not
and that his name is Tam lin

he was the same tomas
but he went missing, it was because the fairy queen kidnapped him
and turned him int a fairy
after he fell off his horse
either the transformation, the fall, or the many years caused him to not remember her
in her head, she is attracted to him, but physically, not so much
due to the fact that he is not human
and he doesnt remember her at all
im not going to follow the normal myth about tamlin
because it started with a folk song
made by people
so im pretty sure that it was totally the work of creative license
(if it were to be real)
but i do think that later on, she might have to contend for him with a human

im thinking that
since i want the tithe to be relevant,
the way the leanan can save tamlin is to either become the queen herself, or create her own court
in which she could either abolish the tithe system
or just find someone else to sacrifice

and if she is the queen, i could have it where, later on in the centuries, tamlin falls for another human
and she cant do anything
or if she abolishes the tithe, it pretty much causes the decline of the fairy
in which they would eventually fade out

as in, the fairies can see the passage of time, but can interact less and less with the mortal world
and she sees that tamlin cares for someone else
and i can have it where she refuses to allow him to have her, so that the are both loveless
or allow him to be human again, so that he can be with her
knowing that she can never have him
'cause i dont think i want this to end so happy
i could also go
in which the leanan queen eventually becomes human as well
of course, i also want to have other chracters cross the leanan's path before all that stuff happens

Celestie
Veteran

#6 Post by Celestie »

Yay, you posted it 8D I see you spun the story further and further xD Not that I was much help but...xD
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

Mihwa

#7 Post by Mihwa »

Celestie wrote:Yay, you posted it 8D I see you spun the story further and further xD Not that I was much help but...xD
XD

Yeah. My biggest problem is still the same... I don't know If I want to write in third person or first person. If I write in first person, I can either keep it in the Leanan's perspective or the other character.

If it's the other character, it can keep the leanan more of a ephemeral mystery--which would work nicely since she's a fairy. XD

I think I'm experiment with all three ways to write it, and see which one comes out the best.

Celestie
Veteran

#8 Post by Celestie »

I have to admit, my personal preference for kinetic novels with some form of romantic pursuing is first person; but seeing how this should make Leanan mysterious, maybe third person is better. Because if first person, keep it first person for Leanan only, not switching to the other characters...that's how I'd have done it at least. Third person would mean it can be told from anyone's perspective relatively distantly. Well, do experiment 8D
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*