Controlled Chaos; or, Second Origins (demo up to Ch 8)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Sapphire Dragon
Regular

#151 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

Nice, I love the flash girl, not played the demo yet, hopefully get round to it soon.

One suggestion with the flash, when the character turns I think it would look great if you add one more frame inbetween looking forward and looking at the screen.
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#152 Post by Watercolorheart »

So many people not playing the demo. (sigh) I should probably just stop trying to get people to play it.

Here's Chapter Nine.

Since DA is down, it's debutting here.

Also, not formatted to the visual novel script style. Still in novel prose form.
Attachments
SecondOriginsCH9.zip
(18.55 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
I'm not even the same person anymore

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#153 Post by monele »

Honestly, I've stopped after a while since earlier chapters always got some new stuff (graphics, updates) which meant I would either miss a lot by reading only *new* chapters... or have to read everything multiple times to see what's new.
In the end, it seems best to wait for the final product ^^;... Sadly, this sure can't get you much feedback, I concede :/

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#154 Post by Alessio »

Don't let it get you down, not everybody is able or willing to follow up continuously, and some are afraid to spoil the fun by reading in-progress versions. I'm sure feedback will be on a completely different scale for the finished version (because, honestly, it's really good stuff). I'm really interested in this one (the Bion in me too), but unfortunately also really busy - I'll be following up more often in the future. Keep it up!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#155 Post by DaFool »

VNs don't give you instant feedback unlike art. With plain artwork people just have to click on it then exclaim "Wow!". But with VNs, they have to download it, install it, figure out how to play it, did I mention read it?

I've played enough to know the general atmosphere, but since it is a kinetic novel, its unavoidable that it is limited in replayability, so I am waiting for the final version. Plus, I'm getting busier in RL work and in my own projects.

Actually, here's a big clue: Release something as a final version, then that's when you get the most valuable feedback (and by then you'd be tired to rework them!)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#156 Post by monele »

In a way, this might have been a really good candidate for episodic content. The only catch is that you'd need all the final graphics for the whole first chapter when you publish it... but it also means you'd only have to write for the other chapters (except for some CGs and new charas maybe). And nothing really prevents you from redoing better versions of sprites and bgs if you feel like it... and then release a deluxe edition with previous chapters re-updated.

The trick is that people would feel what they're reading is final and will only change... maybe once. Good for a new reading a while later.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#157 Post by yummy »

How about creating all the final CG art first ? I mean, as long as it is possible, to create the "final" chara design.
This way you'd be able to release your chapters as episodic form, just like higurashi series.

Then about text formatting, it's not a really big issue as long as your story goes on, which is far from being easy to do. Sometimes you might lack some power in storytelling, sometimes it might fit in.

Anyways, I'm going to play all your chapters from now on because I must admit I've only read a few screens of the first one, which is somehow a waste since you took your own time playing my low cost prototype XD

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#158 Post by PyTom »

I'll note that there's a difference between an episodic story and a piecemeal release. In an episodic story, each episode has to stand by itself, with a beginning, middle, and end. The reader needs to come away, at the end of each episode, with the feeling that they've experienced a complete story, even if it's part of a larger whole.

It's been a while since I've played Controlled Chaos (like many, I'm waiting for a more definitive release), but from what I remember, it didn't really feel like episodic content. (There's nothing wrong with a piecemeal release, at least for feedback. It's just that many of us who play final versions and episodes would rather wait for a complete release.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#159 Post by Watercolorheart »

Well, I still need to do scripts for Alessio, Lucien (and me, I just realized I didn't dub for Chapter 8!) and Mizura. I'll also have to post "on hold" messages to the 'other' communities I'm active in when I do restart the graphics portion, it will absolutely eat all of my time.

At the very least, if you've not been following along, tune in for Chapter Ten -- I'm going to plan to move it back to the present sometime in that chapter, either at halfway through or at the end.

After that ... I'll be writing at my same aggravatingly slow pace ... (does anyone know how long Tsukihime was in development?)

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#160 Post by Nafai »

How many chapters do you foresee this being again BCS? If chapter 10 is still a ways from the ending, I might check it out, but if the end is in sight, I'll hold out for the full package :D

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#161 Post by Watercolorheart »

(I have twenty years to cover ... )

(I can't predict that ... I have an ending and some events that HAVE to happen. For the rest of it, the chapters will write themselves like they did when I first started.)

(Or, as Morioka Hiroyuki author of Crest of the Stars put in the Author's Note of Volume 2, "People tell me that my characters do as they please." )

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#162 Post by DaFool »

BCS wrote:(I can't predict that ... I have an ending and some events that HAVE to happen. For the rest of it, the chapters will write themselves like they did when I first started.)
Isn't that pretty often the case, though? I'm barely a writer, but I think this statement rings a lot of truth. A kinetic novel will fit perfectly with this planning (provided the writing is done first before graphics). But when the resources are limited (as is often the case with limited art assetts), then the writing should come last, making use of whatever is available to tell the story.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Controlled Chaos; or, Second Origins (demo up to Ch 8)

#163 Post by Watercolorheart »

Back from the dead. Just you wait!

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#164 Post by Watercolorheart »

Yeah, so ... I'm kind of struggling and I don't think I can write Chapter 10 ... over again until I get some more stuff out of the way first. It hurts to try and draft it, physically hurts.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#165 Post by Watercolorheart »

Okay, good news! The voice of Matthew, Lucien Dodge is back. YAY!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2335252/