Do these sprites clash with my shoes?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Do these sprites clash with my shoes?

#1 Post by Gear »

I found an AMAZING bg artist to do bg's for my VN project. The problem is, I'm a bit concerned about the general...um...possibility of clashiness (not a word, I know) of the graphics.

I don't want him to change the backgrounds because they look amazing.
I don't want to change the sprites because I love the emotions they convey. And it's my only visual art contribution (lame, I know).

At any rate, I've taken a screencap of the game with the sprite and new background. Can you guys look at it, and tell me if the sprite clashes too badly against the backdrop? Thanks.
screenshot0011.png
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: Do these sprites clash with my shoes?

#2 Post by Aleema »

No, I don't think it clashes "badly" at all. It is 2 different styles, but frankly I'm used to working with 2 different styles for sprites and backgrounds all the time (photo bg+drawn characters are ultimate clash), so this is just fine to me. Any BG that isn't 3D or photo should be fine without people screaming "classssh!"

Dharma Fish
Regular
Projects: West Falls
Organization: Dharma Fish Studio

#3 Post by Dharma Fish »

I don't know... that background artist guy seems kinda lame to me. Also you didn't post any pics of your shoes!!! :wink:
---------------------------------------------------
http://tkfanclub.blogspot.com/

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#4 Post by Gear »

*facepalm* Hah!

If anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it. As many as possible, even. I might post a picture of my shoes if I get more feedback...?
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Applegate »

The only thing that clashes is the emotion on the centre sprite and the one in the textbox.

LadyAvori
Regular

#6 Post by LadyAvori »

I like the art combination actually.

Many VNs have different art for the background and sprites, or sprites and CGs and it doesn't bother me at all. But Aleema is right. The biggest clash would be a photo or 3D background with your sprites. As it is now, it's fine.

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#7 Post by Cidz »

it looks fine to me. ive seen cartoons before that were drawn with photos as backgrounds. so the mixed styles thing works fine. even adds interesting contrast.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

It's clashing... but who cares? This is a free game, right? You could filter the BG to make it look "cartoony", but that would be rude to the BG artist.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#9 Post by Stripe »

Actually, I quite like the contrast XD

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#10 Post by HikkiPanda »

I think it's good. I think I won't notice that they clashes if you didn't mention that they clashed ^^;

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Applegate wrote:The only thing that clashes is the emotion on the centre sprite and the one in the textbox.
That's the thing that *clashed* on my mind the moment i saw it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Musashi
Regular
Projects: Yesoidos

#12 Post by Musashi »

I think actually that the art styles do clash. On the backgrounds, the glistening highlights contrast a lot with the almost complete lack of such effects on the character. Maybe some soft highlights and brighter areas could be added to the character art without discarding it completely?
(Work in progress)