Becoming Wishful (Dating/stat-building sim, GxB)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

Becoming Wishful (Dating/stat-building sim, GxB)

#1 Post by Aiurax »

We were raised to believe that the course of true love never runs smoothly.
There always has to be obstacles or miracles before we can live happily ever after.
But what happens if the miracles don’t appear?
What if there are only obstacles preventing us from reaching our intended?
Does the sentiment of true love run dry or do we pick ourselves back up and try again?
Becoming Wishful is the story of a young woman in her first year of University.
Her life before now has been nothing but dead-end jobs, pittance pay-checks and double-shifts.
Through directing her actions, thoughts and heart you will aid her in finding true happiness.

The game will begin a month before the first day of term.
What you do in this month will not affect the paths of the Obtainables, but it will shape your life at University (for instance: some events during that month might determine your living quarters whilst others might assist you in your preparedness for class, there may also be bad events you’ll not want to come across).

The University is named Frederick M. Stiles University.
And you’ve just enrolled.
ConleyEnglish. 20. Studying: Archaeology.
He has straight, blond hair that reaches his shoulders. Clean shaven, skinny and tall he’s usually seen wearing a green long-sleeved shirt with a waistcoat and black jeans. He belongs to a bigger-than-average family with a fraternal twin sister. Poor and with no father figure to speak of Conley was forced to grow up prematurely. His shrewd outlook on life makes him the sole voice of reason within the group. With all of this being true, he grew up as the man of the house... Kind of. Years of abuse from his six sisters causes his terror of the female gender, and he prides himself on being an absolute gentleman (mostly because he is too scared to be otherwise). He treats women like china dolls and would never refuse a woman’s request. He dislikes loud, obnoxious people, however: which bewilders most to his choice of a best friend.

Tai (Iu-Iu)Egyptian. 22. Studying: Criminology, Policing and Forensic Science.
He has short, black, spiky hair that sticks up at every angle with a thin layer of stubble embossing his cheeks and chin. Tall and lean with an obsession with pirates means he is constantly wearing his puffy white pirate shirts with dark-blue, ripped jeans (as well as faking his eloquent pirate slur). In a round-a-bout kind of way Tai is the seemingly archetypal bad boy with the ‘be mean to keep them keen’ façade: which girls go crazy for. Being smart and funny he has no preference when it comes to women, and has no trouble getting them – just keeping them. He’s a player, childish, loud and obnoxious. But he’s best friends with Conley.

BroganIrish. 21. Studying: Information and Communications Technology.
He has medium-length, wavy, ginger hair with a sweatband (to keep the hair out of his face) and a soul patch beard on his chin. Slightly below average height and skinny he wears t-shirts with comical images and blue, torn jeans. Brogan actually thinks of himself as a bit of a ladies’ man... Even though women flee from his forceful advances. Rumours have also been spread of him being too clingy: once he sinks his claws in, it is nigh on impossible to get away (this tidbit of information comes from a very reliable source, or so it has been said). He dislikes anything mature so he is naturally constantly clashing with Conley on just about everything. He’s funny, sociable and sensitive – it just never works to his advantage.

CampEnglish with Scottish roots. 20. Studying: Interactive Games Design.
He has medium-length, brown hair that cascades in loose ringlets. Clean shaven. Average height and lean he likes to wear an excessive amount of black and is usually seen wearing black jeans or khaki’s with a black shirt. Camp has sworn off all women, due to the circumstances surrounding his previous relationship. He likes to be lazy and has a ‘can’t be bothered’ attitude, followed by an ‘I don’t care’ point-of-view. He tends to want to blend into the wall: but you certainly know he’s been by if your pockets feel lighter. A mysterious fellow, indeed.

JulianJapanese. 23. Studying: Mathematics.
He has short, messy, blue-black hair. Clean shaven. Average height and skinny he likes to wear clothes with deep pockets (to keep playing cards and other oddments in). He is usually seen wearing a red vest with black trousers and a leather jacket with a loose, purple tie. Always raving about Lady Luck he is an incessant gambler and is always looking for a chance to con people out of their money. However, being the resident shy guy (he can’t have a conversation with a woman without stuttering), Julian looks at his feet when he talks – but don’t let this fool you; he will do anything to ‘accidently’ cop a feel. And as if that wasn’t enough he, unbelievably, spreads rumours about himself to up his chances with women... Then acts flustered when he hears them repeated back to him.

TreyEnglish. 24. Studying: Music and Media Management.
He has short, white-blond hair with a light splattering of stubble adorning his cheeks. Above average height he is quite muscular and is usually seen wearing tight grey t-shirts with three-quarter length camouflage khaki’s. Strumming on an acoustic guitar does get him surrounded by more intellectual women than those who are just bedazzled by his overall physique. Due to this, Trey is seen as the ‘perfect package’ (coined to PP) in the eyes of the female populace at Frederick M. Stiles University, but he is also known as the bane of existence for the males. Likened to men of Greek mythology Trey seems ideal on the outside, but he has a major flaw, too; he is too nice, too polite and too soft-spoken. Women of today want something edgier than sweet and understanding qualities - meaning he can never get out of the ‘friend zone’ (as much as he has tried). Women love him, guys envy him, but he can’t seem to find the one.
ProtagonistEnglish. 21. Studying: English and American Literature and Creative Writing.
She has long, chestnut-coloured, wavy hair with big, blue, kitten eyes. Typically seen wearing a baggy, sunshine-yellow t-shirt that is fashioned with a sea-blue belt around her mid-section with short-shorts that are not able to be seen. After college she decided to take a gap year out... Or two... Or three. Her plans never seemed to work out, and now (with the University fees quadrupled) she is finally entering into her first year of University life. Leaving everything she had to do behind her to start afresh at Frederick M. Stiles University.

JezebelEnglish. 24.
The evil half-sister.

‘Crazy’ AñaPortuguese. 25.
She has long, vibrant-red, frizzy hair with her right nostril pierced with a skull diamante. Usually seen wearing a one-piece, pink, jean overall with a turquoise t-shirt underneath. During the Protagonists gap year(s) Aña travelled to England to be with her boyfriend but due to the economical times, eventually obtained a job working at the same company. The Protagonist and she became inseparable ever since (down to the fact that CA won’t leave her alone). The reason behind her nickname is due to Aña’s unusual and complex personality.
The people on board this sinking ship:
Artist - h3llomiko
Music - Some tracks from Dollywitch
Writing/Script - Aiurax
Concept Art:
ImageImage
Match them up, if you can.
Last edited by Aiurax on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Becoming Wishful (Dating/stat-building sim, GxB)

#2 Post by Veniae »

First!

This seems so interesting! I like your character introductions, you make them sound so real and believable. And I can't wait to see the character art - these detailed descriptions. They make me so curious.

Also, a character speaking Pirate? Consider me a fangirl. xD Although I can't say who of the boys I like the most... for now, that is.

Good luck, and don't talk about sinking ships! :'D

Aiurax
Regular

#3 Post by Aiurax »

Oh, wow, thank you :]
I was under the impression I'd put up far too much to read!

Yes; a character speaking Pirate! 'Twas a must.

I guess you'll decide once the art is up and more information about them is spilled.

The sinking ship part was a Pirate thing. I couldn't think of what else to write!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#4 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I really like stat-build game!! I... wanted to make stat-build for my first game... although it seems I lack ability in programming... And your description seems real!! I'm gonna wait for the pics!
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#5 Post by Snow Blossom »

The characters seem pretty varied and complex, and you have a nice, flowing writing style. Julian is just the type of character that I'd love to hate, but I'm also very intrigued by his personality...
And finally - guys with stubble!! XD
I'm not actually that into facial hair, but it'll be a nice change of pace.

I'll be watching this. Very, very closely.
BE AFRAID

Aiurax
Regular

#6 Post by Aiurax »

@JustAnotherMe - Oh, well I hope you won't be disappointed, then :]
And yes! Wait for the art! They will be amazing! h3llomiko is an amazing artist!

@Snow Blossom - You should have seen my nice, flowing writing style when they were all in note-form :D
And yes, Julian's path I particularly liked writing. He's such a conundrum!
Ah damn, you noticed the stubble. I was hoping I'd be able to get away with no one noticing...

Oh? Oh! My first stalker!?

poppyrocks
Regular
Projects: ~FairyTale: The Wander's Test~,~ Boyguard ~

#7 Post by poppyrocks »

Wow i'm impressed with your effort and details to the story XD

(im kinda lazy) Hope you finishh!!!!!!!!!!! XD

Aiurax
Regular

#8 Post by Aiurax »

@poppyrocks - Thanks a lot! :]

Everyone has been saying such nice things. I'm becoming more and more bashful!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

So this is the vn you'll be making that you made that one thread with the question.

I'll be stalking thee. =3 (Besides I HAVE to show my friends a modern Egyptian "pirate". They love Egyptians)
ImageImageImageImage

Aiurax
Regular

#10 Post by Aiurax »

@Sunlit-Dreamer - Yeah it is.
I have said hardly anything about the sister, though. But it's only my first draft, so I thought it would be okay :]
It'll give me more time to think over how I want it all to play out.
... I get the feeling that Pirates = Win? :D

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#11 Post by leon »

Aiurax wrote:We were raised to believe that the course of true love never runs smoothly.
There always has to be obstacles or miracles before we can live happily ever after.
But what happens if the miracles don’t appear?
What if there are only obstacles preventing us from reaching our intended?
My answer: love potions (internal joke).

Good luck with the game! Hope to see it soon.

My favorite character has to be ‘Crazy’ Aña. Yeah, I know, I don't get to choose her...

Now all we need is a ninja character. :)

By the way, I misread "The Players" as "The Lovers". Still makes sense...

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#12 Post by Dakishimete »

I'm interested in your project, because I'm really tired of unnatural, stereotypical characters and yours seem to be well created. I'll keep an eye on you

Aiurax
Regular

#13 Post by Aiurax »

@leon - Now, now. No need to start stamping all over my point with your quick-fix logic ;]
Gah! I really want to add a spoiler about ‘Crazy’ Aña! But I won't!!
It won't make sense once more information is added. 'The Players' is subject to change. I couldn't think of anything witty :[

@Dakishimete - I think you've put my characters on a pedestal. I hope not to disappoint, though :]

Dakishimete
Regular
Projects: The Cave
Organization: Fudaki Productions

#14 Post by Dakishimete »

Maybe not on a pedestal. I just don't see flirting happy guy, tsundere and caring protective type as I'm unfortunately used to.

Aiurax
Regular

#15 Post by Aiurax »

@Dakishimete - Really? Huh. Maybe it's the way I worded them all. I must admit I never referred to those archetypes when I wrote up all of my characters but I do see some elements of stereotype. Maybe not as blatant as you're used to, perhaps? Either way, thank you for your support :]

Update!

I was going to update on the Tuesday (the second week after I first posted) but I just got so engrossed in -ahem- other (damn you Taiwanese dramas!) stuff that I decided not to.
Anyway...

The script/writing is 1/4 done. Totalling at just under... 50 thousand words!? Yipes!
And that's just the beginning, endings and Julian and Tai's paths. Groannnn~

The Art will be coming along during November, so look forward to that :D

The programming I've barely touched. I'm not sure if I want to do it, or if I want to ask someone to do it. I'll decide when I need to :]

One last thing: I need help with something. I've been thinking of loads of ideas. And one of them... Well, I'm not entirely sure I can use it without infringing copyright? Is it permitted to quote from songs? I'm talking World known.