Revamping character graphics for G!MB?

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

Revamping character graphics for G!MB?

#1 Post by Alessio »

I'm planning to put out a new minor release of G!MB to fix some typos and to include the new Ren'Py logo as soon as it is ready, and was wondering if I should take the chance to re-work the character graphics' outlines in colour. Currently, all characters are outlined with black lines. I noticed most CG artists use coloured lines instead, and it does make their drawings look very smooth. Question: Would it improve anything if I included new graphics as shown below, or should I rather let it be and keep the "Art Nouveau" style? :) Thanks for your comments!
Attachments
Left: original / Right: new outlines
Left: original / Right: new outlines
G!MBcomparison.png (109.94 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Works on the girl, but the guy looks blurry now ô_o... Strange, the colored lines usually work ^^;. I think it's the lines of the orange parts that don't work so well... maybe with a darker color ?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Alessio »

That's probably it, the orange parts need a much darker outline. And maybe the guy's hair should have darker outlines too.

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Revamping character graphics for G!MB?

#4 Post by Jake »

Alessio wrote:Question: Would it improve anything if I included new graphics as shown below, or should I rather let it be and keep the "Art Nouveau" style? :)
Well, if it's not too much trouble to change them all, myself I prefer the versions with coloured lines... I think the problem with the guy (whose name I'm afraid I've forgotten, which is terrible, I was just playing that last week...) is that coloured lines, to me, look good when they contrast against both sides of the line still; the outline for the orange on the shirt should thus be the dark brown of the shirt rather than the dark orange, or it doesn't show up against the background and looks odd.

The hair, on the other hand, doesn't look bad to me at all.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#5 Post by Watercolorheart »

Well, there's a special way to do colored lines. I can describe it accurately, but it works best with the paintbrush tool not the pen tool like what you're using. Also, style varies.

I think, in this, black lines would look better, IMHO.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

Maybe you could show us how it would look against the backgrounds? Will you be refiltering them as well? With some BGs (or some filter combinations), the black lines could work better, while the colored may work better with something else (great relativistic answer, huh? ) :wink:

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

I'm with monele on this.

But your characters originally looked pretty good and pretty professional already. Black lines are used lots in animation. But you can also find a compromise with using darker outline colors.

RedSlash
Veteran

#8 Post by RedSlash »

I think coloured lines work better when you use smooth shading, where in you case I think black is better.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Alessio »

Thanks a lot everybody for your feedback so far, I'm surprised to see how opinions differ! I want to be sure on this one, to not waste time for changes that achieve nothing. :)
BCS wrote:it works best with the paintbrush tool not the pen tool like what you're using.
Actually the lines are not drawn on the PC, they are the original inked/scanned ones. When the scan is resized to a smaller size, the lines become transparent on the outside and dark in the middle, very much like as if painted with a paintbrush tool. This transparency is kept when coloring the lines, since I only change the lines' color, not their Alpha channel values.
mikey wrote:Maybe you could show us how it would look against the backgrounds? Will you be refiltering them as well?
Very good proposal, I'll make some fake screenshots for comparison when I have a few minutes. No, the backgrounds would remain as they are, I didn't find any reason so far to re-do them.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Alessio »

Okay, so I've redone Matt's orange shirt and pasted my two guinea pigs onto different backgrounds. Sorry if it's a bit crammed, Aina was elbowing Matt away. ^_^;;; What do you think...? (Hm... I'm starting to believe that black outlines look really better in this case... odd.)
Attachments
fakeyard.png
fakeyard.png (386.86 KiB) Viewed 1560 times
fakeclass.png
fakeclass.png (340.53 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

I think I like the black borders better... It may have something to do with the relatively flat shading style.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

Honestly, I can't decide - both have something to them. And crucially, I don't see one concept being substantially better than the other. If I had to be shot, I'd say go with the colored borders, but if I had to re-release a game just to change that, I'd probably say that the change is just cosmetic. But if you had a major thing that you need to repair in the game and make the switch to colored outlines as a bonus to that update, I'd say it's a good idea.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by monele »

I might lean towards black borders on this one too... even though I thought it was universally better with colored lines ^^;. Basically, I don't think this change would warrant a new release in itself. If there is something else though, it's a bonus....... *calls himself mikey-bis now*

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#14 Post by papillon »

Strangely I like the colored borders much more in the outdoor shot than the indoor one. I suppose the contrast plays with my eyes differently.

I've always found that colored borders, for me, didn't work out in the end. I've never been able to make them look right and tend to give up and go back to black.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by mikey »

papillon wrote:...to give up and go back to black.
The fear of every man...