(P)lanets 2 - the life of happiness has started! [otome]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: (P)lanets 2 - the life of happiness has started! [otome]

#91 Post by Riviera »

Ah, i know what otaku means, yes. xD
That was just a rather joking caption that I put on my blog. I won't refer to Yusa as an otaku in the actual game. He likes manga and dating games more than the average person [enough so that you could probably consider him an otaku of those things] but calling him otaku was just me being silly XD [same with how I often refer to Kaius as emo] I-I'm sorry if my jokes are taken seriously >o<;;
I actually wouldn't worry about that. It's one of those words that has been basically stolen and modified to have no real insulting meaning in the western world now. The majority of people will recognize why it's being used the way it is. :)

That's one of the neat things about language... slang terms change and meanings shift all the time!~
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#92 Post by teacup »

Camille wrote:It's a general rule that as long as a character has a sprite, there will be people who want to date that character and/or are wondering why the MC can't date/pursue that character. XD
I didn't know XDD Well, Hitomi isn't like Ogi-sensei at all, but fans of Ogi-sensei should be happy to know that he's still the principal, and that he'll still have many appearances and shenanigans XD

@Celianna
Hmm, I’m sure you’re right Celianna. I’ll be honest and say I never pay much attention to the shape of the face [in fact I only use two shapes: female shape and male shape]. I do the same thing with eyes – I have female eyes and male eyes but I don’t really change it up beyond that. Mainly because I don’t know how.. I’ve honestly never experimented with different face/eye shapes and just have one ‘style’ that I use all the time. >A<; I’ve found that when I try to do something different, it ends up looking weird… I probably just need to practice more though. Maybe I’ll play around with the sprites a little later and see if I can make them look more individual.

Right now though, I’ve set aside the art and am working on coding. So now for some updates! Here’s the new imagemap for exploring the school. [And yes, Hitomi is a brunette now. I’ll update the first post later XD]
In the first game, you could only explore during lunch. Well now, you have more freedom. You can explore other times too, and this map will appear much more frequently.
I’m thinking about giving subtle hints to where each guy is since guessing will be harder this time.

I’m also working on the cellphone system. I’m using the in-game message code in the cookbook which is working out okay, but you can’t see it until I customize it. Just know that it’s going well so far :’D
Most of the time, the text will be some kind of invitation [Like ‘do you want to meet me on the roof after school?’]. Just by going to the roof after school, you’ve accepted the invitation.
But sometimes, the texts will be cute and random things, especially once you become 'a couple'.
I’m still working out how you can actually send/reply to messages.
Anddd I’ve given up on the psych button thing for now XD It’s too damn hard. I’ll have to seek help for that later… so I figured I might as well do the things I know how to do first.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#93 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

teacup wrote:I’m still working out how you can actually send/reply to messages.
I would just use a simple menu with some pre-set choices on what to reply back with. Letting the player input something would be hard to do :/
teacup wrote:Anddd I’ve given up on the psych button thing for now XD It’s too damn hard. I’ll have to seek help for that later… so I figured I might as well do the things I know how to do first.
NO YOU MAY NOT GIVE UP ON THE PSYCH BUTTON IT IS ONE OF THE MORE IMPORTANT ADDITIONS TO THE GAME SO IT MUST WORK RRRRRAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE Have you tried using Condition Switches? I imagine that the aura reading would work like a layered sprite, like the example shown in the documentation. I've been using Condition Switch for my side image, so I think that the code would work something like this:

Code: Select all

image hitomi_aura = ConditionSwitch(
    "h_aura == 'happy","H_HappyAura.png",
    "h_aura == 'sad'", "H_SadAura.png",
    "h_aura == 'normal'", "H_NormalAura.png",

label start:
show hitomi
show hitomi_aura
$ h_aura = "normal"
h "Ho hum, doing student council stuff is fun!"
$ h_aura = "sad"
h "Aw, who am I kidding? I wish more people liked me OTL"
You might have to tinker with it a little to fit your needs, though. Haven't tested this out, but I think it works. Not sure how to link it to the psych button, so you're on your own with that :c
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#94 Post by Cidz »

i love these characters they are so hot! and your art has really improved <3
i cant wait for this to come out, will it be free like the 1st one?

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#95 Post by teacup »

@Rewritten Ennui
Haha, don't worry. I WILL get the psych thing to work - I just put it away for a little bit so I could get other things done first. XD
But thank you for that code! I hadn't thought of that, so I'll definitely give it a shot. your example... poor Hitomi-senpai XD
And yeah, that's pretty much what I'm planning to do with the cellphone thing. ^^

@Cidz
Thanks you! :D
Yes, it'll absolutely be 100% free!

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#96 Post by 15385bic »

I love the lil star buttons XD

looks like ur progressing so fast *_* - fufufufu (cant wait)

Kahtita

#97 Post by Kahtita »

Hmm i like the brown hair better, unless you really plan to make him a relative of Kaius', i'm curious to see how that'd work out. =o

xSamChan
Regular

#98 Post by xSamChan »

Yayyy ^^ I can't waitttt.

Celianna
Veteran

#99 Post by Celianna »

teacup wrote:Hmm, I’m sure you’re right Celianna. I’ll be honest and say I never pay much attention to the shape of the face [in fact I only use two shapes: female shape and male shape]. I do the same thing with eyes – I have female eyes and male eyes but I don’t really change it up beyond that. Mainly because I don’t know how.. I’ve honestly never experimented with different face/eye shapes and just have one ‘style’ that I use all the time. >A<; I’ve found that when I try to do something different, it ends up looking weird… I probably just need to practice more though. Maybe I’ll play around with the sprites a little later and see if I can make them look more individual.
Haha, yeah I could tell. But hey, that's what practice is for. I find that giving each character a slightly different eye-style just makes them more recognizable as well as more unique. Maybe this eye sheet will help out if you're stuck on what kind of eye to make.

I can deal with everyone having the same face shape if that's really not your thing, but giving them different eyes will look so much better ;)
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#100 Post by try10 »

OMG!! This is amazing!!! Everyday I'm watching this I'm amazed at your progress. :)

You are great!!!

xSamChan
Regular

#101 Post by xSamChan »

w-wait. . is the brother a dateable character too ;A: . . .

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#102 Post by teacup »

Thank you so much for the comments, everyone!
Your support means so much to me! (^o^)/
I don't have any updates for you today because it is finals week. You probably won't see me around anymore until the weekend =A= [college is hard]
@try10, 15385bic
Thank you!! *A*
@Kahtita
He's a permanent brunette now, and I'm strongly considering making him Kaius' cousin. :)
I feel like the dynamic between them would be pretty funny, considering they're such opposite personalities.
And it would give Kaius some more screen time too.
@Celianna
Ah thank you very much for the reference! I will definitely put it to good use!!
I'm going to try experimenting with their eye shapes some this weekend. You'll have to let me know what you think. :)
@xSamChan
Glad to see you made an account! ^-^
Ren does have a path with his own ending. It won't contain any romance between him and Rinko, however.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#103 Post by Riviera »

Good luck with finals! :D
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

xSamChan
Regular

#104 Post by xSamChan »

@teacup
;y; heehee, i'm glad too,
ooo its good to hear that Ren will have his own path ^^
I think the romance thing between him and his sister would be weird though, just a little XD. .

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#105 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

teacup wrote: He's a permanent brunette now, and I'm strongly considering making him Kaius' cousin. :)
I feel like the dynamic between them would be pretty funny, considering they're such opposite personalities.
And it would give Kaius some more screen time too.
You know, I was kidding when I said to make Hitomi a cousin of Kaius', but what the hey?
But in all seriousness, they'd be perfect foils for each other. Kaius, the mean, antisocial one... Hitomi, the kind, gentle one... You should make Hitomi-sama a dog person so that way they can have intense arguments over which pet is better: cats or dogs?

And good luck with your finals! :3
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website