TrickxTreat! (A Magical BxG game) DEMO UP

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: TrickxTreat! (A Magical BxG game) DEMO UP

#16 Post by netravelr »

I don't see how I missed this before. It looks awesome. Downloading the demo now, will leave feedback when I finish (may be a bit though, starting to get sleepy :-) )

Edit: Just finished it and I was really happy with it! The characters seemed interesting and the writing flowed really well.
Bea turning into the witch kinda reminded me of a regeneration from Doctor Who, but that may be what you were going for.
Very interested in seeing where the story goes!
Last edited by netravelr on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by DaFool »

Is the demo really the first half of the game? It seemed like the story was only getting started!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

So, gave this demo a playthough, despite it being nearly (US) Thanksgiving. :-)

It's visually quite pleasant too look at, and the mix of the drawn characters and the filtered backgrounds works fine here - there isn't a lot of clashing.

I liked where the story was going, and I thought
Bea being taken away at the moment of the confession
has fairly decent potential, as it means that the POV character has to
deal with the new character in her body.
I hope that the finshed game explores this in some detail, rather than going down an action-oriented path.

The game felt shorter than it was - I echo DaFool's concern that trying to finish this story in double this length - especially with a pair of endings - might lead to it feeling rushed. Take your time, especially now that there's no deadline.

Three nitpicks:

(1) There are some typos, combined words, and so on. So it could use a proofreading.

(2) The menus are hard to read, mostly as a function of the background image. I assume that will be changed before release, so no big deal.

(3) The text is harder to read than it should be, since it's very wide - on one screen, I counted 24 words per line. Maybe some designers can give their input here, but I seem to recall that 12 words per line is about optimal for readability - and you do have the vertical room in the textbox to make that change, just by putting margins to the left and right of the text.

I look forward to reading a finished version.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#19 Post by Fawn »

Wow, so much feedback!! Thank you guys, I really appreciate it!

@netravelr: Haha, you're right, it does... I didn't really intend that, I just made it orange for obvious reasons :P

@DaFool: You're right, It's really the first 1/3 of the game now that I've gotten farther in the script. I'll change the description.

@Pytom: Thank you :D Don't worry, It'll be explored!
In fact the rest of the game deals with Ben trying to keep Bea's body safe while Jacquelyn (the witch) is using her.
As for the menus, I'm having trouble with them, since I'm used to the older Ren'py. I will most likely need some help in that area because I have no clue how to code those things properly ^^; All I really want is semi-transparent dark brown textbox with matching menus and a little pumpkin animation at the bottom when the text is done.

Sorry about all the typos, I still need to install the spell checker into J-edit (meep!)

However, I want to be honest with everyone... I may not release this game till next fall for a few reasons... Since the season is quickly fading and Christmas is about to hit, I've kind of lost motivation (not for game making but just in general, all I want to do is sleep and eat cookies, which is definitely not good for my health :P). I have other projects as well that don't correspond to the seasons that I would like to work on first.
Possibly I'll release a longer demo with sketch-cgs once I finalize the script once I stop eating cookies and drawing cat girls... Thanks for all your support!

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#20 Post by leon »

Is there a source available for this? I have an obsolete PowerPC Mac and I can't start it, but I think it would work, if I would compile it myself...

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#21 Post by Fawn »

Er, source? D: I'm really sorry, I don't know how to do that...

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#22 Post by leon »

Sorry. :) With 'source' I meant the entire folder with the game files in it. If you right-click on the folder, you will probably have some option to turn it onto rar or zip. I just hope it won't be too large to upload...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#23 Post by PyTom »

leon, if you download renpy-ppc, unzip it, and copy in the app, it will likely work.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by leon »

@PyTom:
I got the launcher working. I keep forgetting about the "show package contents" option... Anyhow, I found the game files inside and got it running. Thanks. :)

@Fawn:
It gets very interesting at the end. I can't wait to see what happens next. I hope you finish it one day.
Last edited by leon on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#25 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

PyTom wrote:(3) The text is harder to read than it should be, since it's very wide - on one screen, I counted 24 words per line. Maybe some designers can give their input here, but I seem to recall that 12 words per line is about optimal for readability - and you do have the vertical room in the textbox to make that change, just by putting margins to the left and right of the text.
That is correct, around 12 words per line is ideal for on screen reading. Humans are a bit more tolearant with paper though. The idea is based on how much you can see without moving your eye much. Too much tracking due to line length will slow down reading and cause people to have trouble keeping track of where they are. This is also effected by what typeface you are using and the leading of the sentences (more leading can make longer sentences easier to read because the line are more distinct).

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#26 Post by kara24601 »

Can't wait to play finished game. Looking forward to it.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#27 Post by gekiganwing »

I finally got around to reading the demo. I know, I'm rather late.

As others have said, this is a cute collection of scenes, which seem to be leading into a longer story. I've enjoyed the art and writing so far.
Fawn has set up a story about a shy boy who almost confesses to a girl his age. Now that a witch is using her body, what will happen? Has her personality completely gone dormant? Will he have to win the witch's heart, or just put up with her antics for a while?

If the main character can talk to both girls, or if they end up in two bodies, then this could be a worksafe, happy love triangle story. I don't think it would benefit from any harem elements.
If the project is stalled, then consider getting assistance, or handing it over to another person.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#28 Post by Fawn »

Thanks for more feedback! I have to be honest I haven't worked on this project for awhile. I'm hoping to re-do some of the art and make a more meaty story than before if I begin working on it again.

It's mostly being stalled because of its holiday theme- I've been working on other games (mostly not my own, artwork for others) and I've been kind of slacking on this because it's Halloween-centric ^^;

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by gekiganwing »

I recall that this project was put on hold last fall. I don't know if there's a possibility that it could be revived.

It's only August, but while at the mall earlier today, I saw the first Halloween decorations of 2012. Just under three months left until the end of October... So if there's a chance that Trick x Treat could become a full game, then perhaps this is the best time to bring it back.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by CheeryMoya »

Fawn's been gone awhile now, hasn't she? I remember she used to be a mod, but her name isn't golden anymore...