Love & Life(GxB/BxG/Friendship)[Completed]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
facades
Regular

Love & Life(GxB/BxG/Friendship)[Completed]

#1 Post by facades »

Download the completed game from this Link

More details about the completed game from this webpage

Plot summary:
In Love & Life, you can play as either Hina (Female) or Kenta (Male) who is transferring to a new school.
Kenta / Hina discovers that his/ her new friends are not as simple as they seem to be.
Will their love/ friendship still overcome all the obstacles that come their way?
There are some references to Japanese culture in the story,
but the dialogue is fully in English with only a few Japanese names (And some essential phrases to bring out the story) here and there.

Characters :
Name : Kobayashi Hina ( Main Character )
An optimistic, friendly and cheerful girl who has her own way of thinking and does not conform to the majority.

Name: Nakamura Chiyo
A shy, quiet and sweet girl who seems to be the perfect model student.
But is she really that perfect? Why doesn't she have any friends and why do people avoid her?

Name: Itou Kana
A rebellious, stubborn and competitive girl who is surrounded by rumours.
Labeled by her teacher as a delinquent as she never attends class.
But is Kana really as strong as she appears to be? Are the rumours about her true?
Is there a deeper reason behind Kana's personality?
Name : Watanabe Jun
An absentminded guy who seems to be lost in his own world.
Jun seems to act strangely when he's with Hina.
Is it just because he is nervous when he's with her? Or is there a another reason ?
Name : Yoshida Takeshi
A smart, out-spoken and confident guy who loves challenges. Some would even say he is too full of himself.
Takeshi is an adopted child who lost his memory when he was very young.
The identity that he now has is given by his foster parents and he knows nothing about his past.
Will Takeshi regain his memories? And if he does.. What are the implications?
Details:

Genre: GxB, BxG or friendship between girls
I didn't write about friendship between guys because.. I don't fully understand how guys relate to each other and am afraid that the story may turn out too girly.

Endings : 12 in total, 8 endings if you play as Hina ( Kana's, Chiyo's, Takeshi's and Jun's good / bad endings) and 4 endings if you play as Kenta ( Kana's and Chiyo's good / bad endings)

Progress:
Script/ Code: 100% Hina's perspective, 100% Kenta's perspective
Character sprites: 100%
Backgrounds : 100%
(This project is too big for me to draw all the backgrounds by myself, so this time I'll be using some free backgrounds that I found online and drawing a few backgrounds as well (: )
CGs / Pictures : 100%
Music and sound effects : 100%

Demo:
Love & Life-win32.zip
(96.07 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
The dialogue may seem a little strange for now, but that's only because there is more to come.
The story in the demo may not have much depth yet because the 'drama' comes later.
Comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you and hope you'll have fun! (:
Last edited by facades on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:05 am, edited 20 times in total.

salis
Regular
Projects: Too many~!

Re: Love & Life ( GxB / BxG / Friendship)

#2 Post by salis »

Looking good, facades! I’m really excited that you’re creating another VN. With two perspectives, at that! And it's great to see you're applying what you've learned from completing Last Vacation, which I really enjoyed playing. :D Love & Life has a lot of potential and I’m looking forward to playing the demo! All the sprites look good so far, (I really like Kana’s design! So cute!) but I noticed among them that the main girl, Hina, is the only one without eyebrows. It might give her a more relaxed expression if she had them. Just a little suggestion there! Good luck on completing Love & Life!
ImageImageImage
If you'd like to contact me, please email me at: sal.com@live.com

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Facades, your game sounds pretty ambitious. Two main characters and a bunch of possible endings. Do you feel prepared to write it?

I'm glad to hear that you're planning to include friendship paths/endings. It's an important theme. If your characters have other goals besides finding a nigh-mythical One True Love, then they may become very believable, and also sympathetic.

An aside: if you want to create a slice-of-life story about students living in Japan, that's your choice. For future projects, you may wish to consider stories/games about characters with different ages, and characters who live in different places.

Another aside: I'm a guy, but I admit that I have a difficult time expressing how I relate to other guys...
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

facades
Regular

#4 Post by facades »

salis wrote:Looking good, facades! I’m really excited that you’re creating another VN. With two perspectives, at that! And it's great to see you're applying what you've learned from completing Last Vacation, which I really enjoyed playing. :D Love & Life has a lot of potential and I’m looking forward to playing the demo! All the sprites look good so far, (I really like Kana’s design! So cute!)

Thanks again salis! (:
I'm always very encouraged by your posts!
I'll also be adding more sound effects to the game this time(:
But I'm still trying to find nice sound effects and background music..
salis wrote:but I noticed among them that the main girl, Hina, is the only one without eyebrows. It might give her a more relaxed expression if she had them. Just a little suggestion there! Good luck on completing Love & Life!
Thanks for pointing that out, I must have forgotten to draw eyebrows for her (x
will do my best to finish the demo soon!

facades
Regular

#5 Post by facades »

gekiganwing wrote:Facades, your game sounds pretty ambitious. Two main characters and a bunch of possible endings. Do you feel prepared to write it?

I'm glad to hear that you're planning to include friendship paths/endings. It's an important theme. If your characters have other goals besides finding a nigh-mythical One True Love, then they may become very believable, and also sympathetic.

An aside: if you want to create a slice-of-life story about students living in Japan, that's your choice. For future projects, you may wish to consider stories/games about characters with different ages, and characters who live in different places.

Another aside: I'm a guy, but I admit that I have a difficult time expressing how I relate to other guys...
Thanks gekiganwing for your suggestions!
It's quite a simple game even though there are two characters and twelve endings
(Because I'm still not so good with Ren'py code, I can't make the game too complicated or I'll end up confusing myself (x )
But it will be much longer than 'Last Vacation'
I'll do my best! (: though it might take some time..
Thanks, I'll consider having more unique settings if I make another visual novel. (:

PockieHoshi
Regular

Re: Love & Life(GxB/BxG/Friendship)[With Demo & Updates 15/1

#6 Post by PockieHoshi »

Just played the demo right now and it was fun C:!
Good luck to you on finishing this~!
I'll make sure to play the full version when you do =]

eternalwishess
Regular

#7 Post by eternalwishess »

Whee~ This is such a big improvement! Keep it up! I'm looking forward to the completed version. :)
Call me αίкσ, hehe. C:

salis
Regular

#8 Post by salis »

Just finished the demo and it was great! You’ve improved so much, facades!
The story is so cute so far and the art is good too. The amount of sprites and variations is fantastic, (Kana in a maid outfit and a kimono! Nice!) and all the characters are really expressive! Excellent choice in music and sound effects too. (The school bell and the crowd sound made me feel like I was there!)

Since you mentioned at the end of the demo that English isn’t your native language, you might want to recruit proofreaders to check your script before the final release of Love & Life. (If you post in the Recruitment Forum, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people willing to help you out.) There weren’t any misspellings, but I noticed a few unusual punctuation marks. Also, I’m pretty sure it’s “Okaerinasaimase, Goshujinsama.” You might want to double check your Japanese, too.

I’m really impressed with how much you’re putting into this game. Keep up the good work, facades! And I’ll be waiting for the full release! :D
ImageImageImage

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Ooh, this looks interesting! And your sprites are cute ^.^ I especially love the kimono design on Chiyo.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

facades
Regular

#10 Post by facades »

@PockieHoshi: Thanks for playing and I'm glad you had fun!
I'll do my best to finish the full version soon! (;

@ eternalwishess : Yay! I'm really glad that it's better than Last Vacation (:
Thanks for playing both Last Vacation and this Demo!

@ Kokoro Hane: Thank you very much!:D

@ salis : Thank you Salis! I'm really glad you enjoyed the Demo and I'm very grateful for your comments! I'm a fan of your art, thus your comments about the art mean so much more to me! I'm really happy that the sprites and characters are alright so far.

Thanks for pointing out that error, I'll make sure to check for mistakes before I publish the full version. (x
And yes, I'd be so glad if someone would help me to proofread this game. (:
Actually, in all honesty, English is my native language. I'm Chinese Singaporean and thus I'm supposed to be able to speak both Chinese and English fluently.
But my English may not be up to standard anymore because I've been speaking to my friends and family in Singlish ( Colloquial Singaporean English) for many years.
Several Singaporeans, including me, speak in Singlish to friends because it creates a more friendly and familiar atmosphere.
But now, I've realised how damaging it can be because having two types of 'English' confuses me at times.
I'm trying to improve my English and writing stories really helps.(:

Thank you once again for playing and for your very encouraging comments! ^^

salis
Regular

#11 Post by salis »

@facades:
You're welcome! And thanks! I'm a fan of your work too, and I’m happy to help. :)

Ah, sorry! I know how that goes! When I was young, I used to be able to speak both German and English, but because I almost never use German, I only speak English fluently now. Still, it’s awesome you know two languages! And some Japanese too! And writing stories will definitely help you improve.

Also, I wanted to mention that I really like Kana's personality. So far, after playing the demo, she has become my favorite character in Love & Life. I'm excited to learn more about her and the other characters too. :D
ImageImageImage

facades
Regular

#12 Post by facades »

@ salis :

I'm glad you like Kana(: She's also my favourite.

PS : I decided to add a side story ( Asami & Shizuko) for Kenta. So currently, Hina can get to know Kana, Chiyo, Takeshi and Jun while Kenta can get to know Kana, Chiyo, Asami and Shizuko.
Asami and Shizuko's story is more of a kinetic novel rather than a visual novel. Their story is also about Asami and Shizuko's friendship.

Asami:
Asami3.png
Shizuko:
shizu2.png
Some side character From Kenta's story.... No, she's not a Yandere (; :
maki2.png
Last edited by facades on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

facades
Regular

Re: Love & Life(GxB/BxG/Friendship)[Completed]

#13 Post by facades »

Hello everyone (:

Love & Life is completed !
Please refer to this webpage for more details about the completed game.

You can also download the game directly from here : Love & Life

I had to rush to finish this game as some stuff popped up in real life that has caused me to be unable to continue working on this project in the long term.
So I knew that if I don’t finish the game soon , Love & Life will never be completed.
I had two options before me, the first was to complete whatever I could and the second was to drop the whole project altogether..
So I chose the former..
And attempted to finish the game within two weeks.
The story did not turn out as long and well-developed as I hoped it would be..
And I wasn't able to draw all the CGs that I wanted to either :(
But I hope you'll still find it enjoyable. (:
Each path is a short, light-hearted romance comedy story.

Thank you for playing the demo previously, for your words of encouragement and for viewing this page (: