The Twelve Chosen[AllxAll, VN] [WIP]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Vynuxys
Regular

The Twelve Chosen[AllxAll, VN] [WIP]

#1 Post by Vynuxys »

Plot Summary
The MC (gender changeable) is an average college student with only one minor disadvantage to their life. For unknown, strange and mysterious reasons, ever since they were born, their hair was blue.
On their 17th birthday, they were having a casual day at school, but on their way back, they were approached by an odd stranger who told them of a future full of promises and all the good things in life, then took them by the hand and transported them to the land where the stars and planets themselves have come alive. This land, called Decimia, is where the twelve signs of the Zodiac have lived since the world's beginning, and our dear MC happens to be one of them. They have twelve days to get to know all the other Zodiacs and choose who to go with to the great Festival of The Lunar Eclipse.

.../shot
Okay guys. This is not my first game ever, but it will be my first ever public game. All the other ones were random, usually art-less pieces made just to practice writing/coding with RenPy and Python. I am still not that great, but I think I am ready to finally release something. This game will be fairly short, despite having 11 characters to choose from - it won't be very detailed and I plan on making it a sweet, light-hearted comedy, probably with some romance if you do it right :3. Hence the storyline isn't that amazing and all - again, this is more like another practice game than anything, so forgive me the un-originality.

Moving on!

Characters
they are all just very rough sketches + colour schemes! The actual sprites will be much better, I promise! ;3;

There's 5 boys, 5 girls, and 2 'boths' (aka MC, who's gender can be changed & one of the signs has more than 1 representative).

The MC
ImageImage

Zodiac: Pisces the Fish
Personality: Mostly nice and friendly, though they do have their moments in which they can't help but tease someone. They have a good sense of humour but can be sensitive, even if they don't show it. They are indecisive and often doubt their choices, therefore they can't make up their mind about most things nearly all the time.

Zodiac: Aries the Ram
Personality: Extremely lively and energetic, Aries doesn't know rest. Optimistic and impulsive, he doesn't think too much before deciding to do something and usually jumps head-in to anything he deems interesting. Despite his outgoing nature, he is a little too trusting and can be very naive, almost innocently silly sometimes.

Zodiac: Taurus the Bull
Personality: Taurus is your cool and calm type of person. She is easy-going and controls her temper very well. She doesn't talk much, as it is not in her nature. However, she is not shy and can be quite social if encouraged. Too often, though, she bottles her emotions inside herself and doesn't show her true emotions, which can lead her to eventually breaking her cool composure and snapping at others.

Zodiac: Gemini the Twins (Gem and Ini)
Personality: Gem (the girl) and Ini (the boy, pronounced Ee-nee, not I-nee) are the definite troublemakers. Irresponsible, but fun, they like to run around wherever they can and interact with everything and anything. Always together, they are adventurous and not afraid of facing new experiences. In fact, it's often exactly what they crave for.

Zodiac: Cancer the Crab
Personality: If there is anything called mysterious, Cancer is your definition. Although she can be caring and kind most of the time, she often changes her mood and becomes angry or irritable for no apparent reason. Her personna is full of contradictions and she often can't make up her mind about her own feelings. However, she often means well, regardless of what she says or does.

Zodiac: Leo the Lion
Personality: Wild and unpredictable, Leo (pronounced Leh-oh, not Lee-oh or Lee-ya) likes to take leadership roles and steer the boat where she thinks is best and not anyone else. With lots of pride and not a trace of modesty, she can appear to have a big ego, though that's not exactly true. She can be quite masculine in her behaviour and very protective of things or people, but she has a good heart.

Zodiac: Virgo the Virgin
Personality: Seemingly always smiling, the kind and helpful Virgo is always patiently optimistic, no matter what. Although he is painfully shy and quiet, he loves helping others as much as spending time by himself with a good book. Easily hurt due to his delicate nature, he is nevertheless extremely forgiving. He tries to keep calm most of the time and hates to feel embarrassed, though it happens to him often all the same.

Zodiac: Libra the Scales
Personality: Ever met Prince Charming? Ever dreamt of meeting him? Well, Libra's your man. With charm superior to anyone else and a heart-melting smile, he is what one would call the perfect man. Or is he? Although good with words, can talk your ear off and can listen silently, even the viciously fair and justice-guarding Libra has his faults. He is indecisive, and can debate over little matters for hours. He has trouble understanding other people's feelings and often can be accidentally harsh or oblivious to hurting someone. His personality, much like Cancer's, is full of contradictions and he can be difficult to fathom.

Zodiac: Scorpio the Scorpion
Personality: You know those bad-boy guys with a heart of gold? Yeah, he's anything but that. Save for the bad boy part. Scorpio is truly the 'bad' guy of the group, constantly aggressive and uncontrollable of his violent mouth. He seems to be always angry and in a rush. Despite this, he is an extremely passionate person and defends what's his with all his power (of which there is lots, both physical and mental). He has a slightly contrary nature, as when someone catches him not in a hurry to do something, he can share a few words wise for his seemingly simple personna.

Zodiac: Sagittarius the Archer
Personality: Sagittarius (or Sagi) is an honest, open-hearted person. He is a naturally generous person, treating everyone with warmth and affection. He is freedom-loving and hates any sorts of restrictions. Sagi loves to have fun and is a very motivated person. He is stubborn and optimistic about his goals and life in general.

Zodiac: Capricorn the Goat
Personality: Capricorn (Capi) is quite the workaholic. Obsessed with neatness and cleanlinesses, she is a very responsible individual. She is patient and despite her stern outward personality, deep inside, she is actually a kind person. She is not boring, however, and she has her own, slightly offbeat sense of humour.

Zodiac: Aquarius the Water Bearer
Personality: Aquarius (Aqui, read Aki) is eccentric and a bit 'different'. She is definitely a unique person, with her own unusual views on everything. She can appear to be a little crazy sometimes, but anyone who takes enough time to get to know her will know she is an amazing friend to have. Outgoing, mind-oriented and sympathetic, she is a wonderful person inside out, regardless of her 'unusual' ways about things.

/dies
That would be all, I guess. There will be a few (or less haha) other characters, but those above are the only ones obtainable. The MC can choose any of them, regardless of their own gender - it won't affect much, save for a few funny scenes here and there. Some characters are easier to obtain than others, but none require re-playing the game from the start or getting a good ending first etc.

As to game features... not sure yet! XD I just want it to be a quick game, maybe 2 hours max, but I will try to make it as interesting as possible. Everything is done by me, though... and I am not a good programmer, so it might take me a while to finish this n__n;

Progress:
Sprites: 80%
Script: 23%
CGs: 5%
Last edited by Vynuxys on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:35 am, edited 8 times in total.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: The Chosen Twelve [AllxAll, VN] [WIP]

#2 Post by netravelr »

Looks really cool, I like a lot of the ideas going on here though the Goat/Ram remind me a bit too much of Catherine (however, I loved it so...) Hope to see more progress soon!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Vynuxys
Regular

#3 Post by Vynuxys »

Thank you c: I actually had to Google what it was, since I never played it. Looks awesome though.

But, yeah, I will try to update often (:

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#4 Post by Snow Blossom »

Oh, wow. This game just hit all of my right buttons. I love the Zodiac theme, and the character designs are lovely. All the characters seem interesting: I'm even tempted to go after one of the girls (which happens approximately once in a blue moon). But be forewarned: Virgo, Gem, and Aries - I AM COMING FOR YOU!!! >:DDD (Not that I won't be pursuing the others as well XD) Best of luck to you~

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#5 Post by Niki »

Ah, this looks really cool ;w; I'm a sucker for Zodiac-themed things! Personally, I think your story's great, especially for a first game (>w<) I'm looking forward to this!
(What's really awesome is that you made Virgo a boy! It was unexpected :9 Love him~)
Image (devblog) || tumblr

icebluehost
Regular
Projects: The Aces

#6 Post by icebluehost »

I am extremely surprised that you chose a male gender for Virgo (since people usually assume that Virgo is female). Which is a good thing in my book XD Though I have to say, it's not that I don't like your art, but some characters just seem too...plain compared to the rest. I know it's hard to think up of good designs and appearance so I'm not going to hate you and judge you for it. (I will still play and love your game even with that! <3) I was just kind of disappointed when I saw that some characters had little details that pertain to their zodiac sign while others didn't have any.

That aside, good luck with the game!

Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

#7 Post by Aiurax »

This looks really cute! I'm a crab.
I like the idea of the story, the art is refreshing and if it's got humour - then I'm there.
I -myself- was surprised that Leo was a woman, because Lion's are males. Very interesting.
I hope this game will help you to further your experience and knowledge of coding :)

Vynuxys
Regular

#8 Post by Vynuxys »

;3; Thank you guys!

@Snow Blossom: Wah, thanks ;3; I thought Virgo would be the least popular, precisely because he is a guy! XD I was a little scared that he'd be shunned for it, ahaha. Glad you like him and the rest ;3;

Niki: Thank you :3 Yea, I thought about switching the gender stereotypes a little, hence I made him & Libra male and Leo a female. Maybe it's because of personal experience, but in my mind, those gender roles fit the Zodiacs perfectly n__n;

@ Icebluehost: You're completely right! It's because one of my weakest points as an artist is originality and designing. I lack any talent for it and that's why some designs look similiar/repetitive ;3; I will try to work up on the Twins, Virgo, Libra & Archer. They look plain .3.
Anyway, thank you very much!

@ Aiurax: I love Cancer the Crab, one of the best people I have ever met is one and she is amazing.
Glad you like them! I always saw Leo with a female representative, it just makes sense for me XD Thank you!

I'm doing the script right now since my hand is temporarily dead from all the sketches. I'll try to finish all the sprites by/during the weekend :3.

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#9 Post by MiSi »

Just found this... and I have to say, that the idea is awesome ;) also I like the option to choose, who you want to play... and the number of obtainable characters (Virgo looks hot, haha :D)
Waiting for updates ;)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#10 Post by Taleweaver »

Doing an AllxAll game is a really neat idea. It's also a really frightening idea from a technical standpoint. Essentially, you'd have to write two individual paths for each of the attainable characters, one where the character is approached by a female MC, one for the male MC. So with 10 "attainables", that's twenty paths. Not counting where the paths intersect.

I wish you the best of luck with your game idea. I think you're going to need it.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Vynuxys
Regular

#11 Post by Vynuxys »

@MiSi: Thank you so much! Haha Virgo sure is popular XD.

@Taleweaver: It won't affect the dialogue itself as much, as mentioned. Only a few scenes will change up, otherwise the romance will be the same, though some characters might be resistant to be obtained by the person of the same/opposite gender if they consider themselves a certain sexuality -shrug-. Otherwise, I think it'll be fine :'D Although, I will have to redraw all the cgs with the MC as either male or female.. now THAT scares me XD

SparkleDash

#12 Post by SparkleDash »

LOVE the idea! And the character designs are really neat. (One or two of them do look a little plain though ^^; )
Vynuxys wrote: Although, I will have to redraw all the cgs with the MC as either male or female.. now THAT scares me XD
Ow. That does sound scary. xP
Why not just have a very androgynous looking MC? xD I think you could get away with that...

Good luck with the project! I look forward to playing it~ >w<

Vynuxys
Regular

#13 Post by Vynuxys »

I probably could get away with it, but people would always complain that they look a bit too this or too that, so nah xD It's just hairstyle/eyes that would need to be changed, so it's all good.

Almost done re-designing some characters, then I'll make the main menu screen~

RemnantDream
Veteran
Projects: Pickles and Strawberries

#14 Post by RemnantDream »

Ooh I like this. Definitely going to go after Cancer first, just because that's my sign xD

I do have one question about Gemini. Is it going to be like, you can go for one twin or the other, or will it be like a two-for-one deal?

Vynuxys
Regular

#15 Post by Vynuxys »

Yay, another plus for Cancer :'D

Originally I thought about making it a two-in-one deal in which the Gemini and Pisces would all be in a kind of caring relationship, not necessarily a threesome or something.. but I think I will give them both a separate path, as well as a two-in-one go :'D And I think this will be the only thing in which the "get this ending first then replay to get another" will apply, in which you have to get them both first, and then you can pursue them individually.