Tonight [GxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

Re: [Otome, WIP] Tonight

#91 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Days left to vote: 372
I guess I can take my time then herpa derp derp I voted! The layout looks very nice so far, and everything's labeled nicely. You would not believe the number of sites I've gone to that are so hard to navigate >_> *le going to bookmark page*
9:19 wrote:
Rewritten Ennui wrote:Go for the megane first, always and forever.
Careful with your words, Lola's grandmother has a pair XD Now that I've damaged you for good, know it is possible to see Yao with specs, even pick the pair he wears, if you play your cards right.
Girls with glasses are meganekko, you baka. Oh phooey, both guys sound like interesting guys. Can't I have both?
P.S. You still need to fix Lola's neck somehow. Last time I checked, human anatomy didn't look like that >_>
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

Re: [Otome, WIP] Tonight

#92 Post by 9:19 »

@Rewritten Ennui: Haha, yeah. I tried setting it for 30 days but kept getting error messages (I don't know how I manage to mess up things like typing in a date. The same way I fail at boiling water, I guess.). In the end, I gave in and went for the long haul. Thanks for voting!

And you're right, it's meganekko. Vocabulary failure, story of my life. *headdesk*

If you're referring to the menu bg, I took your advice from a couple pages back. I'm starting to think it's not Lola but Zhu who's the real problem here. Something about her elongated head is turning Lola's neck into an optical illusion. Seriously, look,

Then again, maybe my perception is bulls. It often is.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

Re: [Otome, WIP] Tonight - now with POLL and BLOG! :D

#93 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Hark! What wicked trickery is this?! I tried craning my head up like Lola, and I saw that it is humanly possible to have that pose. Still, it looks really awkward :? I'll shut up about it if it's too much trouble to change it, but maybe you can move Lola's chest up. Going to shut up about it now I too fail at human anatomy Imma say it's just Manneristic and elongated bodies are sometimes prettier what is punctuation run-on sentences suck
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Veteran

#94 Post by 9:19 »

@Rewritten Ennui: It's awkward alright. XD I'll have to ask you to turn a blind eye this time because I merged the layers in November and altering anything now will turn into really messy work. Maybe I'll take another stab at it when I actually have skillz lol.

That being said, I do appreciate your honesty! I'll be sure to keep posture in mind when I draw future CGs. If when you spy mistakes in upcoming updates, please do call me out. Tonight is a hobby, but it never hurts to do a hobby right, ya know. :wink:

Veteran

#95 Post by 9:19 »

I'll twiddle around and hopefully find a satisfyingly Asian GUI, but if I can't tweak it to my fancy, Tonight will be in for the standard Ren'Py fanfare. It's not really an anticipated game anyway, so I doubt there'll be enough people around to see the GUI, much less complain.

Ugh, I sound so whiny when the weather goes slush. This is pathetic.

Sorry, came off like an ingrate. Attention is given where it's due, I haven't earned it and all that jazz. In a bit of a slump concerning everything right now, ignore my ramblings. Just know I am always grateful and happy when you drop a line, however simple, constructive or not, even when I reply in socially awkward ways. Yeah. Okay. I'm going.

Will update when blog gets 1st (!) post.

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#96 Post by Tag- »

Dw man, most people here are lurkers, I'm sure people will be more vocal when you complete the game. No point in a game being anticipated if it never reaches completion :P Happy new year to you too~

As for the GUI, it looks sufficiently Asian, and I really like the frame you've used. If I were to be really nitpicky, I'd say that the colour scheme at the moment reminds me of cake. Specifically chocolate cake. But I'm just going to assume that's because I've been drawing too many of the darn things. Also chocolate cake isn't a bad thing.

....Goodness, you recreate pained expressions well. It really makes me wonder why poor Zhu is crying so hard :shock: .
PM me if needed

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#97 Post by CheeryMoya »

Wha- how can you think your game isn't hotly anticipated? All the art is done via mouse as opposed to a tablet, and it still looks freakin' beautiful! This must mean I'm not stalking you enough D: I must stalk you even moar ಠ__ಠ

I think that the GUI looks sufficiently fancy and ornate enough, though if you really want it to have a more authentic Chinese feel to it, you can add some red in it. Why? WE LOVE THE COLOR RED, THAT'S WHY. Take some elements from the main menu and spice it up, but try not to make it too cluttered or else that'll distract readers while reading.

As for that CG sketch, omigawd I can feel Zhu's pain D: Those tears running down her cheeks as she bites her lip to avoid sobbing out loud... Shh shh, it's okay, we all have those moments. Anatomy looks good to me, though her hair could use a little more disarray if she's been running around and throwing a tantrum for a while.

And you know, I visit your blog nearly every day in hopes of seeing an update. And also to rig the polls when I can, but you don't know that >_>

Veteran

#98 Post by 9:19 »

@Tag- & CheeryMoya: Aw, thanks for humoring me. Consider your advice on the GUI taken! I'm thinking plum flowers and beige. Finally, a colour palette that lays off the caffeine, lol. Aaaand...!

The blog gets its first post!

Tonight's trivia: click the cut to learn the Chinese characters behind the Chinese characters! Get it? Get it? I know. I'm sorry.

Yay! An essay is clearly the way to start. >_> Next up is screenshots. They're so much easier on the eyes. Sorry it took so long to answer your question, CheeryMoya (and anon.).

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#99 Post by CheeryMoya »

The blog wrote:Yong is not the Energizer Bunny (then it wouldn't be GxB, but GxBeast).
What is air? :lol:

Ah, thanks for answering the question. I can see how much thought you put into naming the characters. The meanings really do fit, and this has only made me more excited to see how the story will go. Wu Long scares me a little though with his info stuffs D:

Veteran

#100 Post by 9:19 »

The flu season hit and I went down like a sack of bricks. Virtual hot chocolate for everyone who caught a cold in January we share a fated wavelength call me <3. Moving along! Obviously I didn't get much work done in terms of art when the ratio of drawing a line and blowing my nose was like 1:14, but I'm marginally better now, and have progress to show for it!

Enjoy a smidgeon of stuffs:

^ Yong's hair is the insane mess of cords that happen when you set up a PC. Quite frankly speaking, Yong finds brushing his hair a pain in the ass; he has the bad habit of air-drying, finger-combing and rage-quitting when he hits tangles, a ritual regularly repeated until it became the inevitable shaggy 'do you see today.

In hilarious contrast, Yong's nails are meticulously done.

^ Yao wearing his spiffy autumn outfit. I also drew 4 pairs of specs for the scenario mentioned a couple pages back, but I think I'll save those babies for the game. Gotta leave something worth waiting for.

^ Zhu is my outlet for hair. The boys have no creativity.

^ Who the hell is this? People who braved that first post on Tonight's development blog would know XD

In case you're wondering, my rule of thumb for this game is: if it's got a sprite, it's got 3+ outfits in the works (but only 1 pose, because that makes sense XD).

Ginger
Regular

#101 Post by Ginger »

I... Love.... it.

I absolutely adore your art and the plot. I can't wait for this to be finished so I can play it! (And as you've been told before, you have wicked mouse skills to be able to draw all that.)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#102 Post by CheeryMoya »

*incomprehensible swooning and fangirling in general* Stop smirking at me, Yong! And stop looking at me like that, Yao! M-My heart can't take it ;-;

Zhu's hair is all derping and herping everywhere, and I love that expression on her face. The amount of detail in the clothing is also amazing considering you're doing it all via mouse. You use SAI, right? You can use vectors to make the lines look considerably smoother. The only thing you might absolutely have to fix is the design at the bottom of Zhu's clothes, as it looks really scrawled. That aside, everything looks great!

Also, OMG WU LONG CG.

EDIT: And I will also make a Chibi of Yao in his autumn clothes because he looks hawt.

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#103 Post by Tag- »

Mm, I was hit by a cold too, didn't go down quite as heavily as a bag of bricks, more like a sack of potatoes. Still, glad to see that you're up and back in action <:

OMG YONG'S EXPRESSION (I am betting that fangirls have fainted from blood loss from this). Dat grin~
I'm also loving Yao's expression and his spiffy outfit xD

Zhu really is only one whom you can vent your creativity for hair, ey? Even Lola has short hair xDD

Also, I dug around my computer, and I finally found the picture I did for our art trade. I'm sorry it's so late /sob
I'm so creative with backgrounds.
I'm so creative with backgrounds.
PM me if needed

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#104 Post by CheeryMoya »

HERE IS YOUR HORRIBLY DEFORMED KAWAII DESU CHIBI :'D
I fail, don't I? OTL
Attachments
Yao Ning Chibi.png
Yao Ning Chibi.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

Veteran

#105 Post by 9:19 »

@Ginger: I'm glad you like the premise! I won't comment on the art, which is predisposed to The 9:19 Syndrome, symptoms including but not limited to exponential quality decay, obfuscating lighting and improbable perspective. Glaring flaws for sure, but maybe Yong's accent will distract you. :mrgreen: (I don't know the proper context for inserting Mr. Green, but he's so green it must be a good thing. Say yes.)

@CheeryMoya: Yup, I use SAI! Smooth lines would be a godsend come time to crop images, though the vectors approach will involve much trial-and-error, as I have no idea what they are and/or how they work. I'll definitely fiddle around and see where I can take it (I have the feeling it may turn out to be the prized improvement honoured under Game Features in my next VN XD).

Did someone say squiggle dress? Ah, busted. :lol: The chicken scratch is a placeholder for later. I don't keep proper concept sketches and colour palettes as often as I should. But you picked up on Wu Long! Nice. I'm looking forward to your chibi, especially since there's nothing petite about Tonight save for Yao's sister, and she's only fun size because she's 9; that's too legit.

[Edit: You totally do not. You even drew shoes! It's got that sweet first Zelda game vibe. Good times. I especially dig the detail on the buttons, though they've got fierce competition from his blush. Thank you so much!]

@Tag-: Aasdkfjlk-Yong and cats! Cats and Yong. LOVE. It's wonderful and not a moment too late! I adore his affectionate yet inept interaction with the kittens (the way he cradles two of them like a bag of baguettes or something). You're spot-on with the whole cuddly mood. Yong would be the type of father to puppy pile with his kids. I love it. Thanks!

Also, the background is very Lifetouch. I almost feel as if Yong gatecrashed a high school on photo retake day. It's awesome.