*New Dimension* (UPDATE! 12/27/2011)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

*New Dimension* (UPDATE! 12/27/2011)

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

UPDATE 12/27/2011
Announcing the voice for Ryland, a character sketch, as well as the first finished background art!

I thought it'd be time to finally mention my MAJOR visual novel project to the Ren'Py community. This was actually the FIRST project I started when I got Ren'Py.

Lint Statistic coming soon!

Sprite Artist - jaypee_1
Background Artist - my brother
CG Artist - probably me

So, what is this visual novel all about? Well, that all depends on your choices. Even from the first choice, it'll seriously dictate the kind of adventure you'll be experiencing, so I cannot spoil too much, so here's the basics; you live in a town. One day you wake up and find that your neighborhood has been transported to ANOTHER world! Save for a few adults, mostly everyone is 25 and under. What's up with that? The plot of the game is to find out what happened and why you're here.

The unique feature about this game is there is no main set character you play. At the beginning of the game, you will first decide WHICH of the main characters you're going to play! As of this moment, I have only 3 playable characters (I'll probably add more later...)
This game was based upon a Choose your Own Adventure style story I was writing, but never finished. When I discovered Ren'Py, I decided to turn this story into a game, since I already had written out many of the paths, and all I needed to do was flesh it out more.

Here's a list of the currently playable characters (images coming soon, when they exist):

SAMMY (Voiced by Annie Quinn)
It's Sammy's 17th birthday. She wakes up hearing her little sister yelling for her to come downstairs and see that they've all been transported to another dimension. Her little sister urges her to explore, whether that happens is up to you.

RYLAND (Voiced by Gear)
-concept sketch-
One of Sammy's close friends, though he wishes they'd be more than that. He remembers that it's Sammy's birthday, and decides to find her to wish her Happy Birthday. However, he notices his parents are gone. There's no trace of them anywhere. Will he look for them or go see Sammy? That is up to you.

VICTORIA
Sammy's crazy friend who always comes up with weird scenarios. Late at night, she visits a doughtnut shop to get some doughnuts. Believe it or not, your decision upon what doughnut you get will determine whether you'll get transported to the world or not (you'll see how when you play the game).

Currently, there is only one unplayable character that is not an extra:

MARISSA (Voiced by Annie Quinn)
Sammy's little sister (description coming soon...)

Here's a taste of the orginal background art (can you believe my brother drew this on MS Paint? He then modifies with GIMP to make it more detailed):

That's all the progress I have to report for now.

PLANNED FEATURES:
- FULLY VOICED!
- Several playable main characters.
- Individual openings per character.
- Special arc openings.
- Multiple endings.
- Original character sprites.
- Original background art.
Last edited by Kokoro Hane on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

Re: *New Dimension*

#2 Post by Death_HUG »

This sounds really intersting *A* I can't wait to see the sketches of the characters >.< and wow 0w0 you plan on having the characters voiced!? If only I had a decent mic, I would totally volunteer to do some voice acting for this vn xD Good luck~ o3o

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

^ Thank you! I hope to get some sketches up before the year is done!

I am excited to have voice acting in it, because there aren't many voiced novels here at Ren'Py, so this would be EPIC especially since I am going to make it free ^.^
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

Annie Quinn
Regular

#4 Post by Annie Quinn »

Oh, wow. This is really interesting. I like the idea of being able to experience different adventures through characters--and apparently, through what doughnut I'd choose!

I'll definitely be playing this when it's out. <3 Good luck!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Annie Quinn wrote:Oh, wow. This is really interesting. I like the idea of being able to experience different adventures through characters--and apparently, through what doughnut I'd choose!

I'll definitely be playing this when it's out. <3 Good luck!
Thanks ^.^ I hope you'll enjoy the finished product! I hope to get a demo out early next year, hopefully.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#6 Post by Kura »

Huh. The open-endedness here is pretty interesting. I would just be careful that even with all those different perspectives and experiences that the whole game still fits together and feels coherent. :)
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Yes, I plan to make the game fit together. Of course, when you control a different perspective, you're bound to possibly lead it to so many direction. I guess the idea of the game is to show that all our choices due influence where we're going, that's why visual novels are so fun XD!!!

I'm planning to have it FULLY VOICED, meaning not just dialogue, but the NARRATION and THOUGHTS will be read, too ^.^
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Veniae
Veteran

#8 Post by Veniae »

Not much to say except:

Do want.

Good work with this! *-*

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: *New Dimension* (UPDATE! 12/24/2011)

#9 Post by Kokoro Hane »

UPDATE!

Background artist announced
Sprite artist announced
Voice actress for Sammy and Marissa announced
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: *New Dimension* (UPDATE! 12/27/2011)

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

UPDATE!

Ryland sketch
Voice actor for Ryland announced
First background art
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Capsy

#11 Post by Capsy »

Wow, this project looks really ambitious! ^^ I really like the idea of having multiple characters to play as. I'm looking forward to the experience of replaying the game to see things from a different perspective, rather than replaying a perspective I've seen before and trying to get the different endings. :D Plus, having it all voice acted will just be awesome! Looking forward very much to this. :)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Capsy wrote:Wow, this project looks really ambitious! ^^ I really like the idea of having multiple characters to play as. I'm looking forward to the experience of replaying the game to see things from a different perspective, rather than replaying a perspective I've seen before and trying to get the different endings. :D Plus, having it all voice acted will just be awesome! Looking forward very much to this. :)
Glad to see so much excitement! I want the player to get the most out of this visual novel! I'm not sure how many endings each character will have yet, but I hope it'll be fun to play them all. I'm also curious as to everyone's favorite playable when it's fully released ^.^
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Nightydreams
Regular
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World

#13 Post by Nightydreams »

Yes! Yes! This is looking like it will be something to really look forward too! Nothing says we worked hard and wanted this to be a good project like original art and voices!
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#14 Post by wingzofdarkness »

This is amazing! It's quite a big project you've got on your hand. I will patiently wait for the release of this game.

Since there will be three playable characters so far, are you planning to use a similar story plot for all of them or are they going to be completely different stories within the theme plot?

jaypee_1
Regular

#15 Post by jaypee_1 »

Hey just checking the work, sorry for the long hiatus im back :D