Welcome! (Rules! Read this first!)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

Re: Welcome! (Rules! Read this first!)

#46 Post by Shagwrath »

PyTom wrote:Generally, creating a new thread is the best.

The thinking is that ideas threads and wip threads are different. In the ideas threads, we're mostly discussing potential and initial impressions. In wip threads, we can start talking about the real material that's being presented. Those are two different kinds of discussion, and it doesn't make sense to ask users to wade through multiple pages of ideas before the wip content starts.
Thank you for that and the quick response.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#47 Post by gekiganwing »

Hazel wrote:Question: how do I know if my project is relevant to this forum? I'm not really all that fluent in the dating sim world or terminology, and I'm not sure I know how to determine my game(s) genre.
First, don't worry too much. If your story focuses on romantic relationships, consider just writing 'Romance' in the subject thread. If your story has a genre such as thriller, fantasy, or slice of life, then mention it in the subject thread. If you choose to emphasize gameplay elements (such as simulation, puzzles, text parser), then mention that as well.

Second, there was a discussion thread about terminology and slang in 2012. Not all fans like all the terms.

Xamusel
Regular
Projects: Fan stories, fan games, original works
Organization: Intersect Games
IRC Nick: Xamusel

#48 Post by Xamusel »

Just as a matter of curiosity, guys, but what's the official word from the admins on fan games? I mean, seriously, I need to know this for whether or not I'll be posting any of my projects again.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#49 Post by PyTom »

In general, we don't police fanwork, unless the copyright holder contacts us to ask for it to be removed. Many franchises allow fans to create some manner of fanwork, and the forum admins can't be expected to figure out which ones do not. So we comply with the DMCA when requested.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Xamusel
Regular
Projects: Fan stories, fan games, original works
Organization: Intersect Games
IRC Nick: Xamusel

#50 Post by Xamusel »

Thanks for that. I needed to know the official policy.

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#51 Post by Hazel »

I'm back and I have a new question.

I work primarily with Twine. The game I'm looking to test is purely text-based right now, but meant to be a proof of concept to determine if the game has enough merit to hire an artist for. If I go through, I'll be expanding and converting it to Ren'Py, but there is still the possibility that I will just publish it in Twine.

Since it's a text game and not a visual novel, it feels like it might be a little outside the purview of the forums. On the other hand, experienced VN makers are pretty much whose opinions I need.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#52 Post by PyTom »

That's perfectly fine. The forum's focus is story-based games, and there's a good chance your game counts. If you can say with a straight face "my game is story-based", it's welcome here.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#53 Post by LizardRobot »

I had to make my thread in Ideas instead of WiPs because my project is crowdfunded and I didn't have a demo ready yet (which is required for crowdfund WIP projects), but as I've completed the demo, is it possible to have my thread moved?

EDIT: Thank you! I shall miss you, Ideas subforum. You are a lovely little corner of much fun. :) (I'll still drop by, obviously. I'm just saying!)

Chibinett
Projects: Hōki Sedai (WIP)

#54 Post by Chibinett »

Blue Lemma wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 pm
2) Posts must have links to relevant work! In other words, DO NOT post something like "Hey, I have this awesome idea for an RPG where blah blah blah, and I need help" UNLESS you can show some progress on it! (Otherwise, it's not a work-in-progress, but a daydream :wink: ) If you are posting to offer help, please give examples of the kind of work you do.

Let's hope we can make some magic happen! 8)
Hey! I am really new to Lemmasoft, so I'm trying to be active and learn as much as possible. I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time or I sound like a newbie (Which I am), but what would count as "relevent work"? Thank you!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#55 Post by Zelan »

Chibinett wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am
Blue Lemma wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 pm
2) Posts must have links to relevant work! In other words, DO NOT post something like "Hey, I have this awesome idea for an RPG where blah blah blah, and I need help" UNLESS you can show some progress on it! (Otherwise, it's not a work-in-progress, but a daydream :wink: ) If you are posting to offer help, please give examples of the kind of work you do.

Let's hope we can make some magic happen! 8)
Hey! I am really new to Lemmasoft, so I'm trying to be active and learn as much as possible. I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time or I sound like a newbie (Which I am), but what would count as "relevent work"? Thank you!
"Relevant work" would be some sort of proof that game assests are being worked on. It doesn't have to be anything huge, but a lot of times you'll have stuff like character portraits and profiles, a current and estimated word count, a list of features, stuff like that. If you don't have much to show off besides "this is what I hope my final product is," you're better off in the Ideas subforum.

Hope this was helpful! c:

Chibinett
Projects: Hōki Sedai (WIP)

#56 Post by Chibinett »

Thank you so much!