Shattered Eternity [Sci-Fi][Apocalyptic Future]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PrivateEyes
Regular
Completed: House 666
Projects: Shattered Eternity

Shattered Eternity [Sci-Fi][Apocalyptic Future]

#1 Post by PrivateEyes »

Alright, I decided to make a new project. Hopefully with the experience gained from my last project, I can create a better, more polished game this time around. ^__^

In the year 2025, the world lies in near ruins due to the International Wars of 2020. Natural resources are low, and most of the world’s population is in poverty. Despite that, technology has become even more advanced and the world, more industrialized. The ones who thrive in this world are the supporters of the mysterious and insane global dictator, D.H. the Endless. It is believed that he was the one who started the international nuclear war in order to seize control of the entire world. Those who are strong enough to rebel are always crushed by superior military power, while the majority of mankind struggle to cling onto life each day. …

Major Settings:
Modern Day 2012, Federation City, Western Hemisphere Alliance (combined North + South America)
Year 2025, Shattered Sky City, Pangaea II

Drake Hanson (Age: 17)- A normal high school student, at least at first glance. Due to an accident during his childhood, a long scar remains on his right arm. No matter how many stitches he gets, the wound never seems to heal. In addition to this, he also lost hearing in his left ear. Underneath his seemingly normal façade, he is an extremely intelligent individual who uses his talents for his own gains. He is constantly bored and would be willing to start things like international conspiracies to amuse himself. Little does he know that his very existence will determine the future of mankind…

Artist: Momomiya Mion

Asek Sora (Age: 17)- Drake’s childhood friend and classmate. Like Drake, she always seems to be bored and uninterested in the world around her. She wears a black rose eye patch to cover her infected left eye, although traces of the infection have spread outside the eye patch. This was caused from the same accident she and Drake were involved in during their childhood. Despite being beautiful and one of the most popular girls in the school, she seems to have no interest in anyone other than Drake. However, she too wears a façade…

Artist: Midnight

Right now, I would just like to know:
- what was lacking in my first project
- things that worked in my first project
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Shattered Eternity [Sci-Fi][Apocalyptic Future]

#2 Post by PyTom »

PrivateEyes:

Right now, this is a classic ideas thread. You gave a couple of characters, and a setting - but no description of the story and how far along you are with producing it. Also, the things you want to know about in this thread seem to be mostly about your previous project, rather than this one.

Please review the sticky for what we expect out of a WiP thread. If you don't think you're ready yet, we can move this thread to the ideas forum.

(I apologize if it seems like I'm picking on you. We've recently raised the bar for the WiP forum.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3 Post by Fawn »

Also, do you have permission from the artists to use their art? It's pretty obvious that you've modified some things (hair color, added jewelry, ect). Most artists don't allow you to modify their artwork without permission.

PrivateEyes
Regular

#4 Post by PrivateEyes »

Fawn wrote:Also, do you have permission from the artists to use their art? It's pretty obvious that you've modified some things (hair color, added jewelry, ect). Most artists don't allow you to modify their artwork without permission.
Really? I assumed the work on Danbooru had permission to be placed there, and thus allowed to be used by the public if proper credit was given and for non- commercial purposes. :X
Last edited by PrivateEyes on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

PrivateEyes
Regular

#5 Post by PrivateEyes »

PyTom wrote:PrivateEyes:

Right now, this is a classic ideas thread. You gave a couple of characters, and a setting - but no description of the story and how far along you are with producing it. Also, the things you want to know about in this thread seem to be mostly about your previous project, rather than this one.

Please review the sticky for what we expect out of a WiP thread. If you don't think you're ready yet, we can move this thread to the ideas forum.

(I apologize if it seems like I'm picking on you. We've recently raised the bar for the WiP forum.)
Ah is that so? I checked that thread last night. Apologizes about that and I would appreciate it if you moved this thread to the ideas forum.

No its understandable. Funny thing is I made this thread a few minutes after this WIP separation was implemented lol

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#6 Post by Fawn »

I assumed the work on Danbooru had permission to be placed there, and thus allowed to be used by the public if proper credit was given and for non- commercial purposes. :X
I visit danbooru often and I have never seen anything that said you could use the pictures... The site is for sharing pictures, I seriously doubt people post the pictures there for others to use for creative purposes (unless you count using the pictures as your desktop wallpaper creative, haha).

It's not like you could be "caught" very easily by the original artists, but it doesn't make it okay to use the artwork if you don't know if you have permission. The sprites you have used were possibly part of a commercial game and are copyright to a company (however, it's okay to share the pictures for people to look at in most cases).

Also, it's distasteful to color over sprites in general... They don't come out looking very good even if you're a photoshop expert. If you want custom sprites there are plenty of artists out there to help you; not to mention plenty of free sprites are available as well.

PrivateEyes
Regular

#7 Post by PrivateEyes »

Fawn wrote:
I assumed the work on Danbooru had permission to be placed there, and thus allowed to be used by the public if proper credit was given and for non- commercial purposes. :X
I visit danbooru often and I have never seen anything that said you could use the pictures... The site is for sharing pictures, I seriously doubt people post the pictures there for others to use for creative purposes (unless you count using the pictures as your desktop wallpaper creative, haha).

It's not like you could be "caught" very easily by the original artists, but it doesn't make it okay to use the artwork if you don't know if you have permission. The sprites you have used were possibly part of a commercial game and are copyright to a company (however, it's okay to share the pictures for people to look at in most cases).

Also, it's distasteful to color over sprites in general... They don't come out looking very good even if you're a photoshop expert. If you want custom sprites there are plenty of artists out there to help you; not to mention plenty of free sprites are available as well.
Hmmm I see your point. I guess I've been doing re colourings and stuff like that for so long I got used to it :d
And as a note, I never use game cg or something from a commercial game. I look for fanart, even if it takes me hours to find it among the thousands of pages lol

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#8 Post by Desu_Cake »

PrivateEyes wrote: And as a note, I never use game cg or something from a commercial game. I look for fanart, even if it takes me hours to find it among the thousands of pages lol
That's...even worse. As an artist, I know that if someone took a picture I had posted on Pixiv or DeviantArt, recoloured it, and used it in a game without telling me I'd be seriously ****** off. At least commercial works have the money to sue if they want. Also, using fanart in your game isn't regarded as much different from using official stuff, so you're getting two sets of people mad at you.

PrivateEyes
Regular

#9 Post by PrivateEyes »

Desu_Cake wrote:
PrivateEyes wrote: And as a note, I never use game cg or something from a commercial game. I look for fanart, even if it takes me hours to find it among the thousands of pages lol
That's...even worse. As an artist, I know that if someone took a picture I had posted on Pixiv or DeviantArt, recoloured it, and used it in a game without telling me I'd be seriously ****** off. At least commercial works have the money to sue if they want. Also, using fanart in your game isn't regarded as much different from using official stuff, so you're getting two sets of people mad at you.
Is that right? I will have to find an artist or improve my non-existent drawing skills then lol