Teacher Pets - Visual Novel/RPG

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lux Nero
Regular
Projects: Teacher Pets

Teacher Pets - Visual Novel/RPG

#1 Post by Lux Nero »

Welcome to Elmero Academy! A private school established in the mid-west of America which has produced a number of great minds in the fields of computer programming, politics and a number of other fields. It is one of the most expensive schools around, and offers its students a pre-college dorm experience (not co-ed).

But there is another side to this academy other than just education - A number of students have what the school call 'Teacher Pets' - artificial intelligence programs that are exclusive to the students and staff of Elmero Academy for the idea of helping students in their studies. The Teacher Pets are designed to look like various animals with one of the four basic elements to them and can speak to their owners. But these Teacher Pets are more than just used for studying, they are also used for battles amongst the students for fun and to pass the time.

You enter the life of a new student at the academy - Jack Talbain, known through out the school world as a deliquent - where he gets absorbed into the mystery of the Teacher Pets and of the mysterious incidents that are surrounding Elmero Academy.

Image Jack Talbain

This visual novel/game will include:

-) A dating/relationship aspect
-) Personality Stat system
-) A simple battlesystem
-) Simple dungeon crawling and leveling system
-) Multiple choices and endings
-) A number of girls you can date
-) 4 Different Teacher Pets that you can have for the rest of the game
-) Creative character designs
-) Hours of gameplay
-) And more!

I hope to have a demo for this long game done within a few months, I've found a good number of people to help out with it, and I truly appreciate it. And if more people are willing to lend a hand, don't hesitate to ask!

Demo Status:
Script: 45%
Character Sprites: 40%
Backgrounds: 5%
Music: (Borrowed, but essentially) 75%
Programming: 0%

Comments are appreciated.
Now... Count up your sins!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Teacher Pets - Visual Novel/RPG

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Definitely an ambitious concept. Do you believe you will have enough time, resources, and patience to create all the aspects of your game? If you're working with a team, will you be able to stay organized?

If I'm reading right, your game will include creatures with artificial intelligence which have been designed by high school students. So I guess your setting is some years in the future, or maybe an alternate universe. Either way, make sure to do some research on AI. Find out what's currently possible, and what might be plausible in the near future. (And could these creatures possibly be smarter than the people who made them?)

The setting -- an academy with dungeons -- sounds a bit similar to P3/P4, Magical Diary, or perhaps Azure Dreams (a roguelike/life sim/romance game which had monster companions). What will make it unique? If it were up to me, I'd base the setting on the college I attended... It was close to Chicago, but also just a short walk from vastly different neighborhoods.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#3 Post by Chushiki Maho »

WOW, this has a WIP thread...? Yay~

@gekiganwing
I'm pretty sure part of team. I helped~ I'll do my best to help everyone stay organized.

@ Lux Nero
Remember to send me a PM when the script needs proofreading, or when its time to start programming.
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

Lux Nero
Regular

#4 Post by Lux Nero »

gekiganwing wrote:Definitely an ambitious concept. Do you believe you will have enough time, resources, and patience to create all the aspects of your game? If you're working with a team, will you be able to stay organized?
I have a good team and I've got plenty of resources at my disposal, so I thank you for your time and concern on that issue. I learned my lessons through trial and error when dealing with teams, and I know what to do and what not to do, so once again, thank you for your concern.
gekiganwing wrote:If I'm reading right, your game will include creatures with artificial intelligence which have been designed by high school students. So I guess your setting is some years in the future, or maybe an alternate universe. Either way, make sure to do some research on AI. Find out what's currently possible, and what might be plausible in the near future. (And could these creatures possibly be smarter than the people who made them?)
I could tell ya, but then again, I don't want to give too much away about plot and such. As for your concerns with the AI, I have done some research, but considering that this is based in an anime/manga world - Where giant robots, transforming armor, the ability to create cars from capsules, or having a small ball that can capture twenty foot tall creatures by turning them into lasers is plausible, then I can do the same with a visual novel/RPG.
gekiganwing wrote:The setting -- an academy with dungeons -- sounds a bit similar to P3/P4, Magical Diary, or perhaps Azure Dreams (a roguelike/life sim/romance game which had monster companions). What will make it unique? If it were up to me, I'd base the setting on the college I attended... It was close to Chicago, but also just a short walk from vastly different neighborhoods.
Good eye, but, there will be a little bit of differences between those that you mentioned. As for why I chose a highschool, well, that seems to happen a lot in manga, so why not? so... -shrugs-, if I wanted to base it on a college, I'd go with mine, it was in the heart of a major city. But, still, there may be time to fix it.

I appreciate your interest and concern, and we'll try to make this an awesome game!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Teacher Pets... first impression I got is that this is a hardcore hentai game ;P

If the A.I. also for student, why name it Teacher Pets? And creative character design? I wonder how's it going to be... What's the difference between creative character design and not creative character design?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Lux Nero
Regular

#6 Post by Lux Nero »

LVUER wrote:Teacher Pets... first impression I got is that this is a hardcore hentai game ;P

If the A.I. also for student, why name it Teacher Pets? And creative character design? I wonder how's it going to be... What's the difference between creative character design and not creative character design?
lol, the names supposed to be a bit of a joke for the players lol. As for why its called Teacher Pets, the A.I.s help students in their studies and provide links and such (except during tests) so they act as student teachers... Only animal like for the most part.

And as for creative character design -shrugs-, would you like to see bland characters that are essentially rip offs of other characters?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

Lux Nero wrote:And as for creative character design -shrugs-, would you like to see bland characters that are essentially rip offs of other characters?
It just AFAIK most game never put "creative character design" as one of the feature, even though their character design are unique and creative...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Lux Nero
Regular

#8 Post by Lux Nero »

... Touche. this round goes to you.

BTW, I love the Faiz reference for your pic.

Princess Akina
Regular

#9 Post by Princess Akina »

Like all the others just said, this project looks very ambitious indeed.
I am looking forward to this. I wish you good luck on this project, and will therefore be stalking it.
PS. Not to come off rude or anything, but does the picture remind anyone else of Pokemon? ;;
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

Lux Nero
Regular

#10 Post by Lux Nero »

Princess Akina wrote:Like all the others just said, this project looks very ambitious indeed.
I am looking forward to this. I wish you good luck on this project, and will therefore be stalking it.
PS. Not to come off rude or anything, but does the picture remind anyone else of Pokemon? ;;
Yay, my first official project stalker lol!

And thank you very much.

As for your question, and I don't find it rude, yeah, it does remind me of pokemon - But then again, Pokemon was kind of part of the inspiration for this game.

Heck, if I wanted to be blatant about it - This game's based on Pokemon, the Persona series (more like 3 and 4), Baka to Test and a few other awesome series that I can't think up at the moment. But yeah, I don't take offense.

Kumori
Regular

#11 Post by Kumori »

This looks very interesting and quite ambitious. I'll be following this, as it looks quite interesting. I like the idea of Teacher Pets (it's a joke on 'Teacher's Pet', isn't it?).

I'll keep watching. ;) I like the character design, btw.

Lux Nero
Regular

#12 Post by Lux Nero »

Kumori wrote:This looks very interesting and quite ambitious. I'll be following this, as it looks quite interesting. I like the idea of Teacher Pets (it's a joke on 'Teacher's Pet', isn't it?).

I'll keep watching. ;) I like the character design, btw.
Thank you (And yes, it is lol).

Thanks about the designs too.

Lux Nero
Regular

#13 Post by Lux Nero »

I tried deleting the post before this to avoid double posting, but for some reason I'm not being allowed to do so.

In any case, since its been about over a week since I posted something in here, I figured I'd post a profile of the MC here:

Name: Jack Talbain
Personality: (That's up to you the players) Tends to be sarcastic, good with machines, and is quite keen on details. Has a record of skipping classes, and opts to not wear the school uniform.
History: When he was in middle school, he was a complete nerd - Glasses, straight laced, and usually very adamant with his studies. But bullying put him away from his studies, so, he decided that he didn’t want to be pushed around and he's even been suspended/expelled a few times from getting into fights with other students. He often kept getting into a lot of trouble, but still his grades managed to stay at the same level, so it baffles students. The reason why he joined Elemero Academy for Advanced Education was it was an attempt to straighten him out – His parents wanted him to have a good life and spent quite a bit of money for him to get into the school so Jack decided to at least try for his parents’ sake.
Favorite Food/Drink: Coffee, anything with spice
Dislikes: Sweets and soda
I don't care how much scratch you got in your parents' pockets, no matter who you are, a punch to the face will still make ya lose some teeth!

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#14 Post by Crocosquirrel »

If you want to avoid Pokemon parallels, I'd lose the hat. It draws the eye and screams 'Ash Ketchum!'
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Princess Akina
Regular

#15 Post by Princess Akina »

DarkSpartan wrote:If you want to avoid Pokemon parallels, I'd lose the hat. It draws the eye and screams 'Ash Ketchum!'
True that. Very, very true...
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.