Game Help

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rikdo_Osaka

Game Help

#1 Post by Rikdo_Osaka »

I'm looking for a writer and artist to help me out on a Kaito Kid Visual Novel i want to make but i have no one to do the backgrounds and the character designs as well as CG pictures. The story is basic and the main character has a gender, background, and name change. Most of the characters are from the Detective Conan and Magic Kaito stories. I'm not really sure if anyone will help me with this thought but might as well try.

I'm still thinking if it should be the kind where you pick where you want to go or just have it just tell the story. I also want to added voices so you can hear the characters talking. Maybe i need someone to help me make the game as well and as for the script, that's complete.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Welcome to the forums.

The best way to work is probably writing the story first - when everything is working inside the engine, it's best to ask for help with graphics then.

This way people will know what to expect and the story will be complete, so it's possible to tell what exactly the game will need. The newly released "colorless day" was done in such a way. First, it was written, then put into Ren'Py and then the forum thread with the request for art (and music) was started. And it was released just today. :P

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Rikdo_Osaka

#3 Post by Rikdo_Osaka »

I already have Episodes 1 and 2 already set up so the script for both. I already have how i want the characters to look in their design, emotion and more.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Sounds good, but I'd still recommend finishing the whole script (all chapters) first, before looking for art help. It's a lot of unspectacular text work, I know, but projects that have this done are far more likely to be completed, as opposed to those that are being created "on the go". It gives the artist the assurance that the project has a good chance to be done. Plus, it's a lot more effective when you have something to show the people who you want to work with.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#5 Post by dizzcity »

Question: What did you want a writer for?

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Rikdo_Osaka

#6 Post by Rikdo_Osaka »

To help me with rest of the episodes since twill take a awhile. You will hear character voices in the game but i have to see on how to set that up still. I will reuse the character emotions and some of the BG like the school and the main characters even throught there will be other locations.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

I'm a bit concerned that you may be a bit too ambitious. Start small first, and / or be more specific in your recruitment.

It seems like the project with its features aims to be of the same caliber as those of certain incredibly crazy and multi-talented people on this board (with names starting with "m" and "B"). But these persons have already built a reputation, so its easier for them to get people to rally around their projects.

At this point I'm not sure what people should expect. But maybe we should just get to know you more and see where your strengths are.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

I'll agree with DaFool on this...it sounds very ambitious but...we don't know what to expect from you yet. It's a lot easier when we know what to expect from someone to know what's needed as far as help goes. I would suggest starting small, seeing how the players respond, and buils based on that.

If you are so inclined, make a demo of the game, and let us see what you have done so far. A lot of people will be willing to help with ideas, and that makes the game better =)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.