Starting my own visual novel! "Secrets" [Friendship-Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
logic

Starting my own visual novel! "Secrets" [Friendship-Romance]

#1 Post by logic »

Last edited by logic on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 11 times in total.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Starting my own visual novel! "Secrets" [Friendship-Roma

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Hm... If you have the characters thought out and other material, I think we'd all like to see them. It will also help us give you feedback. :)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

logic wrote:...The general story line might not be the easiest story to write, but i want to add some personal experiences to the game and main character, which will hopefully carry players away and makes them be able to view and experience things from the angle which is it intended to be.
If your story is loosely based on things you've experienced, then that's not a bad thing. I have experienced things such as my circle of friends slowly falling apart. It's a theme worth exploring.

If you can provide more concrete details about your characters and their circumstances, that will help. Where do they live? What are they trying to achieve? How have these friends stuck together? Is the group falling apart partly because of current boyfriends/girlfriends?

Also, let us understand the scope of your game. Is the story relatively short or long? Will there be any complex gameplay? I don't know if you intend to create any character-specific endings (such as "best friends with Wade").

Finally, be sure to mention if you're looking for assistance with anything specific.

logic

#4 Post by logic »

gekiganwing wrote: If your story is loosely based on things you've experienced, then that's not a bad thing. I have experienced things such as my circle of friends slowly falling apart. It's a theme worth exploring.
Well I've been a foreign exchange student myself, after I finished high school, I decided to go a year abroad. It was a great time there, but my friends started college, and when I came back it was like the time for me stood still for a year. So I know how it is to fit back in, and see how all my friends have changed.
redeyesblackpanda wrote:Hm... If you have the characters thought out and other material, I think we'd all like to see them. It will also help us give you feedback. :)
gekiganwing wrote: If you can provide more concrete details about your characters and their circumstances, that will help. Where do they live? What are they trying to achieve? How have these friends stuck together? Is the group falling apart partly because of current boyfriends/girlfriends?
Sure, The post is updated with character info (:
They will live on a Dorm at college.
They all have the same goal; "Happiness"
But the're all stuck with their problems, and don't know it yet, that when they're together they ARE happy.
Chase will be the one who tries to get everything back like the way it was before he left.

However, I don't really want to get into their history too much, and it isn't too special either;

Chase, Wade and Kevin were in the same kindergarten class,
Chase was a year older because his parents moved a lot before he moved there, so he missed some school.
Wade was fancying girls in 2nd grade already (he's hopeless(: ) and became friends with Alice and Rachel.
a few years later in 5th grade, they met Jacob, who got bullied a lot,
Kevin stood up for him, and that way got Jacob in the group.
gekiganwing wrote: Also, let us understand the scope of your game. Is the story relatively short or long? Will there be any complex gameplay? I don't know if you intend to create any character-specific endings (such as "best friends with Wade")
The story will be long, but I want a nice reading flow, no boring fill-up parts.
I Intend to Have a general route, where you will first get settled in, and get to know the characters, like how they really are, then you be able to do the routes related to; Kevin, Jacob, Wade
Which will all have the same happy ending, but totally different ways of getting there.
After the general route you'll able to choose the Routes related to; Karin, Leah, Rachel and after completing those 3, you'll able to choose for Alice's route, because that one has an after story, the true ending of the game.

However, there are a lot of routes, I don't want to make it too complex, and wont give the player too much choices, but just keep it simple and focus on a good story.

logic

#5 Post by logic »

*Update!*
Currently I'm in the 1st semester of college which is about to end, so I get a lot of tests, and that's why I haven't put as much time into the novel as I first planned.
However, I got about 450 lines written, and I started trying out several visual novel-makers/software.
I also tried to draw my own background art. (posted below)
Which worked out just I expected; I don't have much talent for drawing:(
Attachments
TrainBG.jpeg

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by briannavon »

Is this still being made? :)
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/