Crystal Spirits WIP Title & Idea(Fantasy, scifi, friendship)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
CassieHolloway
Regular

Crystal Spirits WIP Title & Idea(Fantasy, scifi, friendship)

#1 Post by CassieHolloway »

Hello everyone. This is my first idea that I'm sharing with the community. Also, this project will be my first vn as well. I fully intend to use this idea, but I did not have enough show of work as of yet to put it on the main work in progress forum. I have descriptions of some characters and some pieces of artwork as well. The story has (at the time of this post 3,000 words) and will be much longer than I thought it would be. Might have to break the general idea into different arcs or stories.

Title: Crystal Spirits
Genre: Fantasy, comedy, scifi aspects, romance (perhaps).
Rating: 13+ (May change in future)
Platform: PC, Free (Hopefully)

Plot (Up to Date): Over one hundred years has passed since the Mayans very wrong prediction. Humanity did not end itself through biological warfare nor did zombies rise from their graves to slay the living. About the only things that changed was the lost magic and races made themselves known much more openly. In a small city lives Cassandra Holloway, a teenager who has been more or less sheltered from the paranormal and their gaze all of her life. That all changed when her grandfather Ziv Daiku requests her presence in Ranceford, California. With her dreams haunted by a field of beings sealed within stone and crystal, and her waking life more confusing given her new 'life and title', her only constants are unfortunately the insane (and evil) grim reaper she freed and the book she was entrusted with. Soon after her grandfather vanishes, even stranger things begin to happen. The biggest problem? Several people are requesting her assistance in "Matters of Great Importance" and she knows nothing about the responsibilities she was given.

Will you help her along with the investigations or help the 'villains'? How will you manage the hectic group of friends while attending a even more odd high school? Is there romance in store for you? And what is with the bead chain that Ziv gave you for your birthday?!
Brief Character Introduction
Cassandra Holloway
Race: Born as a human though changes after awakening(s)
Height: 5'8
Weight: 125 lbs
Eye color: Hetrochromia (different colored eyes) Left is blue the other is a very dark reddish-brown. More oxblood in color.
Hair style/color: Platinum blond with light gray tips. About upper back length
Work outfit (secondary): Sleeveless black top with Long Dark red attachable (at upper arm) sleeves that has tribal markings (swirls etc.) on it hides some weapons and the bead chain. Her Dark blue pants has many pockets. Sneakers adorn her feet
Everyday outfit: Regular street clothes (attitude shirt, shorts, and steel toed boots.
Personality: Sarcastic, sometimes cynical, and always too curious for her own good, Cassie is always up for a adventure. A tad mischievious and likes to make plots, she is neutral in most cases and "helps out her friends" instead of specific races or groups.
Saying: "Piss me off and I'll send my minions after you."

Current Status: 3,000 words. Two character artwork, no programming and such. Right now, I'm looking for inspiration and to see if anyone would be interested in something like this. It's not like the traditional VN (or that GxB so far) and I'm aiming for some rpg elements thrown in.

What I hope to Learn: I'm a total newbie to vn making (and vn in general) so any advice would be nice. I don't know much about music or artwork. I'm a writer though I am also learning coding. I would love to bounce around ideas with others. I DO realize this is a very tough job ahead for me, especially for being a new vn creator. I just can't see her story (or stories) otherwise.

Opening Question: Does the overall plot seem sound to you?

Ending Notes: I will put up basic known characters and descriptions today or tomorrow on here and my blog. I edited this post enough for the moment.
My little blog for reviews and development involving indie (or otherwise unknown) VN and Games in general: http://cassieholloway.wordpress.com/

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Crystal Spirits WIP Title & Idea(Fantasy, scifi, friends

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

CassieHolloway wrote:...Over one hundred years has passed since the Mayans very wrong prediction. Humanity did not end itself through biological warfare nor did zombies rise from their graves to slay the living.
No zombie apocalypse, and a certain Roland Emmerich movie starring John Cusack did not happen. Got it. But then I thought "if the story is happening around 2112, then are the events from a famous Rush album about to happen?"

Anyway, if you want to avoid writing a typical reverse harem story, then go for it. Feel free to emphasize plot or gameplay or friendship -- whatever theme or aspect happens to be most appropriate. Just as long as you're ready and willing to write it.

If your project gets overwhelming, then focus on creating what you want. Don't feel that you have to include complex gameplay, or have a large cast of characters.

CassieHolloway
Regular

Re: Crystal Spirits WIP Title & Idea(Fantasy, scifi, friends

#3 Post by CassieHolloway »

gekiganwing wrote:
CassieHolloway wrote:...Over one hundred years has passed since the Mayans very wrong prediction. Humanity did not end itself through biological warfare nor did zombies rise from their graves to slay the living.
No zombie apocalypse, and a certain Roland Emmerich movie starring John Cusack did not happen. Got it. But then I thought "if the story is happening around 2112, then are the events from a famous Rush album about to happen?"

Anyway, if you want to avoid writing a typical reverse harem story, then go for it. Feel free to emphasize plot or gameplay or friendship -- whatever theme or aspect happens to be most appropriate. Just as long as you're ready and willing to write it.

If your project gets overwhelming, then focus on creating what you want. Don't feel that you have to include complex gameplay, or have a large cast of characters.
First off thank you for replying. It gave me some things to think about. I intend to mainly emphasize on the plot at least in the beginning stages. Once I get some more skills (mostly coding) I'll work from then on. While I would eventually like some assistance (which in the future I'll check out the recruitment at one point) I'll try it on my own for now. I'm just hoping that I won't burn out on the project all alone. Then again this has been forming in my mind for the last few months (and dreams add on to it) and the fact that several of my friends remind me on working on it when I'm just surfing the web.

Thanks for reminding me that I don't have to go the complex route or have tons of characters.
My little blog for reviews and development involving indie (or otherwise unknown) VN and Games in general: http://cassieholloway.wordpress.com/