[WIP]Making an Otome [Comedy/Romance]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

[WIP]Making an Otome [Comedy/Romance]

#1 Post by Red-Baby »

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ophelia has become hooked on dating games, especially otomes. Having felt like she's played every otome available to her, the 20 year old science student decides to make her own otome game. She enlists the help of her friends to draw 'inspiration' upon, each one with a unique character trait often seen in dating games. But as she goes on 'mock dates' and tries to illustrate her friends as 'date-able' material for a fictional game... will she find that her own life is just like an otome?

-------- ☆ --------
These are just first draft designs
I might change the way James looks later...
I'm quite happy with the others though =]
Characters:

Ophelia: (20 years old) Female
DoB: 17th of June

Roan: (22 years old) Male
DoB: ?
Type: The mysterious locked character
Info: Unknown

Noah: (20 years old) Male
DoB: 1st of June
Type: The shy male housewife
Info: Noah is Ophelia’s childhood friend, he loves to cook and clean and do other housewifely activities. Because of this all the other characters are always making fun of him, but never with serious malice. He is a bit of a push over and feels the need to ask for permission when doing simple tasks, even after he has already done them.

Excerpt:
Roan: “We’re cooking, well... Noah’s cooking, I’m really just eating when he’s not looking.”
Ophelia: “Haha, that’s believable. What are you guys making?”
Noah: “We’re making spinach and mushroom penne with chilli cream cheese. Oh wait... that’s only if you want to eat it of course. I mean... if you want something else I can always make something else.”
Ophelia: “But it looks like you’re nearly done...”
Noah: “Yes but... we should have considered what you wanted to eat first! I mean... I just came over with a bag of ingredients and started cooking without even considering if you may have wanted something else, like curry, or soup, or Mexican! I’m sorry I wasn’t thinking!”
Ophelia: “Noah... Just shut up and make the damn pasta.”

James: (21 years old) Male
DoB: 8th August
Type: The athletic health freak
Info: James is a guy Ophelia met two years ago at one of her favourite juice bars. The two started talking and eventually became friends. Unlike Ophelia and Kyle, James has never played a video game in his life. He much prefers the adrenaline of chasing around a ball in a court to sitting on a chair pressing buttons.

Excerpt:
Ophelia: “I’m making an otome and I’d like your help.”
James: “An otome? What’s that?”
Ophelia: “It’s a game.”
James: “Like a... here’s-a-ball-now-go-chase-after-it game? Or a I’m-going-to-sit-on-my-fat-ass-for-the-next-10-hours-pressing-buttons-and-peeing-into-a-bottle kind of game?”

Kyle: (21 years old) Male
DoB: 25th of May
Type: The nerdy geek, or as Ophelia likes to call him, the Nerky
Info: Kyle and Ophelia met in university, he is a little anti-social and doesn’t talk to many people who don’t have the same interests as him. Around unfamiliar people he comes off as cold and unapproachable, but around Ophelia he acts like an encyclopaedia, regurgitating as much knowledge as he can until she begs him to shut up.

Excerpt:
TBA

-------- ☆ ------- - - ------- ☆ --------
Progress:

Story: 50%
Script:2%
Character art:
Ophelia: 5%
Roan: 2%
Noah: 0%
James: 0%
Kyle: 0%
Background art: 0%
Music: 0%

LadyLylalie

Re: [WIP]Making an Otome [Comedy/Romance]

#2 Post by LadyLylalie »

It seems interesting. I like the dialogue you've shown thus far and the premise, its quite amusing. Other than that, good luck! :)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

It's probably best to use the phrase "otome game," or "reverse harem story," or something similar. Why not just the word "otome"? Because the Urban Dictonary currently defines it as:
Literally means "maiden" in Japanese... The term "otome" is also slowly being integrated as a new way of referring to a ramped anime/manga fangirl.
...So yeah, make sure to distinguish between a person who could be identified this way, and a game which appeals to that person's demographic.

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Why we couldn't just use fujoshi (although that does imply m/m shipping tendencies which is not necessarily true of all otome game fans) is beyond me.

Anyway this game sounds interesting. The guys sound a bit stereotypical for my liking (especially the cooking guy, although if guys were really like that it'd be nice) but the excerpts really highlight the protagonist's dialogue.
deviantART
---------------------

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

#5 Post by Red-Baby »

LadyLylalie wrote:It seems interesting. I like the dialogue you've shown thus far and the premise, its quite amusing. Other than that, good luck! :)
Thanks =D
The dialogue might change a little thought depending on how the rest of the story goes... but the main punchlines should stay the same =3
gekiganwing wrote:It's probably best to use the phrase "otome game," or "reverse harem story," or something similar. Why not just the word "otome"? Because the Urban Dictonary currently defines it as:
Literally means "maiden" in Japanese... The term "otome" is also slowly being integrated as a new way of referring to a ramped anime/manga fangirl.
...So yeah, make sure to distinguish between a person who could be identified this way, and a game which appeals to that person's demographic.
I did not know that
I thought 'otome' referred to 'maiden game' in itself
But thanks for the note I will be sure to say otome game from now on =]
lepapillonrouge wrote:Why we couldn't just use fujoshi (although that does imply m/m shipping tendencies which is not necessarily true of all otome game fans) is beyond me.

Anyway this game sounds interesting. The guys sound a bit stereotypical for my liking (especially the cooking guy, although if guys were really like that it'd be nice) but the excerpts really highlight the protagonist's dialogue.
Lol would you believe me if I said that three of the guys are based off people I know XD
Kyle is based off my uni friend, who really is a big nerd.
James is based off the guy who works at my uni's cafe, who really is a health freak.
And Roan is based off my friend who is a... well I can't say yet or else it'll be spoils ;)

Noah is actually based off myself from a few years ago when I was a young maiden
now I'm an old fart though so bleh

Anyway the game is really just me trying to put little things that happened in my life into a game... =]