collective - a psychological thriller/mystery/rpg

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

collective - a psychological thriller/mystery/rpg

#1 Post by Victoria Jennings »

collective
a psychological thriller

Last edited by Victoria Jennings on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 75 times in total.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: collective - a psychological thriller [GxB, GxG, BxG, Bx

#2 Post by Sapphi »

Victoria Jennings wrote: so, anybody interested in the game at all? 0:
I really like the premise. It's a mystery I'm already curious to know the answer to, especially since it promises to comment on society and is not a simple "whodunit" game.

What I am kind of iffy about is the romance option. Unless you can make the romantic routes important to solving all of this, it might feel tacked on and distracting to the story. Of course, there are ways to do it well.. it's just that a red flag always goes up every time I hear "This is a mystery game... BUT ALSO YOU CAN DATE PEOPLE!" :P

I am also kind of wondering why the America/Japan choice - I mean, what if I'm a girl and want to play as an American? More importantly, imagine the work it will take for you to write two versions of the same game, carefully making everything as accurate as possible in both settings... if I tried to do that, I think I would lose my mind. Wouldn't it almost be two separate games at that point anyway? Since it seems you would meet different characters depending on the country in which you lived... In that case, I would pick one setting for this game, and maybe the other for any sequel it could have.

For what it's worth, I think your setting and mystery are interesting enough as they are. I love the idea of a research system in the game and the city-crawling for clues thing.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

It would be cool if the two protagonists had to solve the mystery together, like there's only certain information that the American boy can collect, and certain info that the Japanese girl can get. This would mean making it so that their stories aren't exact mirrors of one another - they're two separate characters that players get to experience when they need to (I guess have optional character switch moments?). You could make them online friends, brought together by some common interest.

Just food for thought. I'm interested. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Sapphi wrote:What I am kind of iffy about is the romance option. Unless you can make the romantic routes important to solving all of this, it might feel tacked on and distracting to the story. Of course, there are ways to do it well.. it's just that a red flag always goes up every time I hear "This is a mystery game... BUT ALSO YOU CAN DATE PEOPLE!" :P
The focus definitely isn't on romance, to be sure. I'm kind of curious as to why "a red flag always goes up" (hurr hurr *shot*) seeing as there are plenty of stories out there (and not just VNs, but movies, video games, shows, etc.) that do a fine job of integrating romance into a non-romance-oriented plot. But yeah, probably something like 70% of the interactions you have with the love interests have to do with friendship, philosophy, and the task at hand.
Sapphi wrote:I am also kind of wondering why the America/Japan choice - I mean, what if I'm a girl and want to play as an American? More importantly, imagine the work it will take for you to write two versions of the same game, carefully making everything as accurate as possible in both settings... if I tried to do that, I think I would lose my mind. Wouldn't it almost be two separate games at that point anyway? Since it seems you would meet different characters depending on the country in which you lived... In that case, I would pick one setting for this game, and maybe the other for any sequel it could have.
To make one thing clear, while there are four romantic options for each gender, there are only six in total; two are shared because you meet them over the Internet. Pretty much everything having to do with computer research is the same, it's just the different genders start in different places. And there aren't that many additional characters. For the most part, the story is the same, especially since the most important points in the story take place online. So yes, while the settings are both different, and you do meet different characters...

...You know, I just changed my mind mid-post. Holy crap. orz
Sapphi wrote:I really like the premise. It's a mystery I'm already curious to know the answer to, especially since it promises to comment on society and is not a simple "whodunit" game.

For what it's worth, I think your setting and mystery are interesting enough as they are. I love the idea of a research system in the game and the city-crawling for clues thing.
Thank you very much. I think I really needed your comments before I got in way over my head. The most difficult route isn't always the best one, and the ideas I've already come up with for the Japanese portion of the game could potentially be adapted into a sequel.

...I need to think about this.
kaleidofish wrote:It would be cool if the two protagonists had to solve the mystery together, like there's only certain information that the American boy can collect, and certain info that the Japanese girl can get. This would mean making it so that their stories aren't exact mirrors of one another - they're two separate characters that players get to experience when they need to (I guess have optional character switch moments?). You could make them online friends, brought together by some common interest.
Actually, I was setting up the protag you didn't choose to be the one who dies at the beginning. Y'know, the other one who could change the world. However, I definitely was planning on making some info only obtainable on the Japanese side, and some only on the American side (mostly in the form of the cryptic secret report-styled emails you get, the first of which I quoted at the beginning of the post).

Again though, Sapphi's post is making me think twice about this... so who knows? I'll update with the direction I choose to take ASAP.

fuusaify

#5 Post by fuusaify »

Reminds me a little of the manga "Alive: The Final Evolution"

I think the dating thing is fine, always a fan of romance. I agree with Sapphi though, having had similar experiences not even with just mystery vns. I would worry that it would lose some replay value. Even with all the different characters, there would still be a lot of similarities with the main plot being involved. If you are able to make each character route unique, with different twists, while still sticking to the main plot then it will end up being a really great story.

I look forward to reading more about this VN in the future. I usually really enjoy this genre :)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Victoria Jennings »

fuusaify wrote:I think the dating thing is fine, always a fan of romance. I agree with Sapphi though, having had similar experiences not even with just mystery vns. I would worry that it would lose some replay value. Even with all the different characters, there would still be a lot of similarities with the main plot being involved. If you are able to make each character route unique, with different twists, while still sticking to the main plot then it will end up being a really great story.

I look forward to reading more about this VN in the future. I usually really enjoy this genre :)
Oh, I'm definitely going to give the game as much replayability (I like making up new words, ehe) as I can. Every (non-romantic, for the most part) choice you make will either change the outcome, make available new information, or both. In order to view the whole picture, you'll have to be extremely nitpicky, actually. Hehe. C:

Of course, I need to make the core gameplay interesting and fun enough to want to go through again and again. So there's that to consider...

Thank you, by the way! :'D

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#7 Post by azureXtwilight »

I am interested with the psychological thriller concept, and I wish this can be executed brilliantly :)
Also, second that idea about two protags together~

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by briannavon »

How much will this game cost? Will you sell it on amazon?
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#9 Post by Egressus »

City crawling! Interesting premise! Lots and lots of awesome!
I'm watching this thread bby.

Will this be free or commercial? If commercial can you sell it in Indonesia?
Hiatus of hiatuses

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by gekiganwing »

There are some aspects of your premise which reminded me of Persona 4: a near-future setting, people who die in strange and unexplained ways near the beginning of the story, supernatural evil entering the real world, high school students who try to understand and solve the problem, romance options... The focus in P4 is on the characters' goal of solving the case, and their overall friendships. The main character can have an intimate relationship with several girls, but he gains more from maxing out Social Links with people in general.

It's your decision whether or not the two main characters in your game are both alive. The way I figure it, both premises could work (one dies at the beginning VS they communicate throughout the game).

I'm looking forward to learning about your cast of characters, and finding out how your gameplay will work. (There were mentions of web based research and cryptic emails -- unless you're planning to build a dedicated website, it might be best to incorporate them into the game.)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

I know how this will turn out: Trees are responsible.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Dear lord, I didn't realize how many people have done this before me. ; ^ ;

I mean, the reason behind it is different from both Alive: The Final Evolution and The Happening, but now I feel like I'm ripping people off. orz

I suppose the novelty of my idea lies in the medium; instead of watching other people solve it, you get to do it yourself... and, well, I hope people enjoy playing nonetheless.
briannavon wrote:How much will this game cost? Will you sell it on amazon?
I wasn't planning on selling it, seeing as it's my first legitimate game. However, if absolutely necessary, I might do a Kickstarter for it. Of course, this is only after I've been working on it for at least a month, and if I'm having funding issues.
Egressus wrote:City crawling! Interesting premise! Lots and lots of awesome!
I'm watching this thread bby.

Will this be free or commercial? If commercial can you sell it in Indonesia?
I don't see why not. I want this game to be available for everybody. :D
gekiganwing wrote:There are some aspects of your premise which reminded me of Persona 4: a near-future setting, people who die in strange and unexplained ways near the beginning of the story, supernatural evil entering the real world, high school students who try to understand and solve the problem, romance options... The focus in P4 is on the characters' goal of solving the case, and their overall friendships. The main character can have an intimate relationship with several girls, but he gains more from maxing out Social Links with people in general.
Actually, I got a lot of my inspiration from Persona 3. I adore that game (the female side, anyway). :'D
gekiganwing wrote:It's your decision whether or not the two main characters in your game are both alive. The way I figure it, both premises could work (one dies at the beginning VS they communicate throughout the game).
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Yuui's story being explained in another game.
gekiganwing wrote:I'm looking forward to learning about your cast of characters, and finding out how your gameplay will work. (There were mentions of web based research and cryptic emails -- unless you're planning to build a dedicated website, it might be best to incorporate them into the game.)
I wasn't going to have people searching the actual Internet. xD

Think Digital: A Love Story, except modern.

---

And now I shall put (American) characters up!

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#13 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I am excited to see where this goes. It sounds like a really interesting premise.

May i suggest holding off of doing a kickstarter until you have a very substantial amount of work done? So that the people donating KNOW that you will finish. I think you'll be more successful that way.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Victoria Jennings »

FatUnicornGames wrote:I am excited to see where this goes. It sounds like a really interesting premise.

May i suggest holding off of doing a kickstarter until you have a very substantial amount of work done? So that the people donating KNOW that you will finish. I think you'll be more successful that way.
I think I mentioned that above. I'll only do a Kickstarter if it's impossible to continue work on the game without one. U:

Thank you, btw. ; w ;

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#15 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Victoria Jennings wrote:
FatUnicornGames wrote:I am excited to see where this goes. It sounds like a really interesting premise.

I think I mentioned that above. I'll only do a Kickstarter if it's impossible to continue work on the game without one. U:

Thank you, btw. ; w ;
Yeah, I just saw that it might be in a month and I was like...that seems too soon. :D

How many sprites do you plan on having...? I was thinking if I have time I might be able to help digitally ink and color them. If the cast is large though I know I won't have time.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-