ProjectAIDS

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

ProjectAIDS

#1 Post by PyTom »

Um... I don't _get_ it, but check out:

http://projectaids2007.googlepages.com/

(It doesn't seem to have much to do with aids, really.)

Found via:

http://bin.4chan.org/a/res/1682861.html

which appears to be a 4-chan thread about making a visual novel, complete with some art. The development effort appears to be located at:

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Zettai_Shojou/

(Note that this is different then project aids.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Regarding Zettai Shoujo, did they all come from the same college or something? If not, how can one trust 4channers to commit to something? (Sorry, my bias)

I mean, look at Flight of Twilight...I have NO idea whether things are moving there or not...true, people can still be working via private email, but then why set up a forum dedicated to the project?

This feels sort of like the anime boom in America during the early 2000. For the past 2+ years there were few OELVNs, so each release was played. But now I feel even more pressured to finish my game and get it out there before the heavy hitters start pumping out products and anything I do will be relegated to background noise. So this explains my combined skepticism coupled with fear.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#3 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:I mean, look at Flight of Twilight...I have NO idea whether things are moving there or not...true, people can still be working via private email, but then why set up a forum dedicated to the project?.
Hmmm, my guess is that if you set up a forum chances are you will want to show off your art and progress - and so the project can't really be progressing. Usually you'll get the answers that there are things done "in the background" and it's in a "specific development process stage", but that just means the guys are playing WoW.

I would think of one reason for the forum - recruiting artists. However, this can be done with a simple subpage on the main website, a forum is too much for it.
DaFool wrote:This feels sort of like the anime boom in America during the early 2000. For the past 2+ years there were few OELVNs, so each release was played. But now I feel even more pressured to finish my game and get it out there before the heavy hitters start pumping out products and anything I do will be relegated to background noise. So this explains my combined skepticism coupled with fear.
Well, skepticism (read: experience) says you can sleep soundly. There was Project Journeys, Love Revo, Peach Soft, Hyperbunny, Hirameki VN, Xenallure, Shira-Oka, and now we have FlightOfTwilight and we will have more in the future.

They all had talent, skill, resources and everything to become the definitive OELVN, and none of them have produced anything except the infamous character sketches and and some screen designs. Actually, you can judge a project fairly well after 3 months and then after 6 months. Usually when something is announced, it ALWAYS looks good, because it's fresh and new so there's this natural reaction of omg this looks so great, they are pros. But then you see a bit more and discover this and that has been cheated, that thing is a free resource and after 3 months of checking back even the cutest character designs wear off, so even if the game was finished, it wouldn't feel fresh anymore. So forums and public development are a very double-edged sword. I'd be more "afraid" of sleeper projects, ones that the teams don't tell you exist.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#4 Post by F.I.A »

mikey wrote: They all had talent, skill, resources and everything to become the definitive OELVN, and none of them have produced anything except the infamous character sketches and and some screen designs. Actually, you can judge a project fairly well after 3 months and then after 6 months. Usually when something is announced, it ALWAYS looks good, because it's fresh and new so there's this natural reaction of omg this looks so great, they are pros. But then you see a bit more and discover this and that has been cheated, that thing is a free resource and after 3 months of checking back even the cutest character designs wear off, so even if the game was finished, it wouldn't feel fresh anymore. So forums and public development are a very double-edged sword. I'd be more "afraid" of sleeper projects, ones that the teams don't tell you exist.
Aw, that kind of hits me straight at the point. :o

Well, I am not sure about the others, but I am still progressing on my sole project. The reasons I hardly posted in updates are because:
1) I don't really know what to post in.
2) I don't like to spoil.
3) I don't want to heap up hopes(Because I am worse than any main character in keeping promise)

As they said, a concealed project will be like a totally wrapped gift. You will not be as happy when you know that your birthday present will be a Nintendo Wii, right? :lol:
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#5 Post by Blue Lemma »

mikey wrote:Well, skepticism (read: experience) says you can sleep soundly. There was Project Journeys, Love Revo, Peach Soft, Hyperbunny, Hirameki VN, Xenallure, Shira-Oka, and now we have FlightOfTwilight and we will have more in the future.
Shira-Oka is still going strong 8) There is WAY more work done than is being revealed on the website - dialogue, programming, minigames (by yours truly :wink: ) and more! There's still a lot of work to be done, but it is very much in production and nowhere near dead. Development has been constant without any of the long "breaks" that tend to kill projects.
DaFool wrote:But now I feel even more pressured to finish my game and get it out there before the heavy hitters start pumping out products and anything I do will be relegated to background noise.
I wouldn't worry about it... Even in Japan where there are TONS of VNs, doujin games still get a good audience. In fact, the popularity of VNs (sparked by good commercial releases) means more potential players of your games. So pressure be gone! *waves magic wand* *poof*

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

Usually you'll get the answers that there are things done "in the background" and it's in a "specific development process stage", but that just means the guys are playing WoW.
just had to lol at that last sentence.

also, I have to agree with blue lemma. I think that as oelvn games become more popular and widely accepted, people will begin to care less about production values and just maybe more on the experience that each unique vn tries to present.

some of the games in this board can beat the poor little bird, I too saw dreams through the air, and even tsukihime based on looks alone, but those japanese releases still get their fair share of the target audience's attention.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

some of the games in this board can beat the poor little bird, I too saw dreams through the air, and even tsukihime based on looks alone, but those japanese releases still get their fair share of the target audience's attention.
And VNs like Metropolitan Blues beat I think all of the most recent japanese releases based on storytelling alone :D

Thing is, few people outside the communities realize that.

Jens

#8 Post by Jens »

mikey wrote:[
I wouldn't be so quick to judge anonymous. I mean sure this development speed will wither into nothing soon enough, but then we might just pull allnighters for three weeks into summer break and finish this thing out of fear.
Anonymous does not forget. Anonymoue does not forgive.
Meanwhile his looking over our shoulders ;_;

Also, thanks for offering your help PY'Tom. You make me feel slightly less like I'm jumping into a pool full of sharks and AIDS.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

Hm... I think a good predictor of success is the strength of the leadership/writing team. I think it's a case of "too many cooks spoils the broth". I'd suspect the success or failure of ZS will depends on someone stepping up to take charge of the project, and probably to write the script himself. Once that happens, they can take advantage of the people who have offered art, music, etc. I don't really believe an artistic work can be made by committee. (I do wish the ZS team the best, for what it's worth.)

If anything, ZS brings more people's attention to VN-making, and maybe some of them will start making their own games. That can only be a good thing.

I'd suspect ProjectAIDS would succeed, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

I think it's likely Shira-Oka will be released. They are paying people, and holding weekly meetings, and releasing more screenshots... so the project is not dead. I suspect it will be released, but I sort of doubt it will be profitable... They're spending alot of money flying people to cons. Still, I doubt they're spending _that_ much, and it's not like I don't spend a grand or so a year on this hobby, so more power to them.

I believe (from traffic analysis) that flight of twilight is still a going concern. Their are 567 messages on their forum, http://forum.flightoftwilight.com/ , as of right now. Only 29 messages are public. The way to tell if they're still alive is to see if that first number goes up faster than the second.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

DaFool wrote:And VNs like Metropolitan Blues beat I think all of the most recent japanese releases based on storytelling alone :D

Thing is, few people outside the communities realize that.
well... I think that part is best left to individual discretion which is why I didn't mention the storytelling aspect...

I can say that our community doesn't lose out to the japanese releases on storytelling though.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

Jens wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to judge anonymous. I mean sure this development speed will wither into nothing soon enough, but then we might just pull allnighters for three weeks into summer break and finish this thing out of fear.
Anonymous does not forget. Anonymoue does not forgive.
Meanwhile his looking over our shoulders ;_;
Well, from time to time I like to poke around a bit. I'm actually also confident that one day one very large project will be completed, but which one that will be I can't really predict.

Hmmm, if I may ask, which one are you working on? Zettai Shoujo? :?

Jens

#12 Post by Jens »

mikey wrote:Hmmm, if I may ask, which one are you working on? Zettai Shoujo? :?
Correct, although i wouldn't call it working until I get something done.
Right now I'm just subliminally making the games atmosphere darker with each post. :P

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by DaFool »

Okay, updates...

Project AIDS

http://projectaids2007.googlepages.com/

According to the changelog, it seems to be completely written. Problem is, can't download any of the links (rapidshare file expiration?)

Zettai Shoujo

Relocated forum: (To provide more focus to serious contributors, seems to have been renamed to Katawa Shoujo)

http://zettaishoujo.danmaku.net/forums/index.php

Both these projects are potential boost to Ren'Py...if they ever get fully completed.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote: Zettai Shoujo
...if they ever get fully completed.
Well, the old forums are an astonishing read if you want to make a massively collaborative project. The amount of organization (or even overorganization) and all the troubles of having lots of creative minds, as well as the shortage of contributors at the same time, plus the hierarchy of it all, it's really something. And it has some mini-dramas included, too. ;)

Nevertheless, the newly-formed Katawa Shoujo project is quite focused so far. It's still incredibly bureaucratic though - but whether that's good or bad, well, if it gets completed, then it's good. If not, then it was to be expected.

I agree on the boost to Ren'Py - it's actually quite similar in its basic theme to Camp Handiba.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by EwanG »

mikey wrote:I agree on the boost to Ren'Py - it's actually quite similar in its basic theme to Camp Handiba.
Hadn't seen this before. Now that you mention it...

Oh well, I have things I should be working on rather than reading about other people's projects :D