Soul and Heart: Replay [Mystery & Dystopia] - DEMO 0.5

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Re: Soul and Heart: Replay [S&H REMAKE][Mystery|Dystopia|KN]

#16 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much for your support!

I've decided to make the sketches the placeholders for now, so that I can also get the proper angle I need. Also started implementing the sprites in-game. I swear, they look horrible right beside the old art, I swear.

I don't know if it looks more expressive than the older sprite, but I think this is a lot better than that. Changed the resolution to 800x600. I was thinking of making it bigger, but that means I have to get new BGs... Of course, the CG above will have variation, of course.

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#17 Post by WickedRaccoon »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:I swear, they look horrible right beside the old art, I swear.
heck no.now,they give out this expression when looking at them.so it's good when art gives out something,anything to the viewer.besides,the improvement between then and now is extremely noticeable.the new sprites are more realistic and more emotional.example,when sirius says "i hate my life" (as seen above),her face,even her eyes show that emotion of hate (even if it's not exactly hate,but you get the point).the original didn't give that feeling so much.so bottom line is,your art isn't horrible beside the old art,it's better.so don't feel bummed about it,cause there ain't nothing to be bummed about ^^

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#18 Post by Blane Doyle »

WHOA STOP WAIT WHAT...

I am not usually the kind of person to take a look at remake projects, but I decided to take a peak in here and I need to ask... is the artist, you I am assuming from the opening post of course, working on the sprites for the remake the same one who did the art in the original version? Because wow, I am extremely approving of this new art.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#19 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

WickedRaccoon wrote:heck no.now,they give out this expression when looking at them.so it's good when art gives out something,anything to the viewer.besides,the improvement between then and now is extremely noticeable.the new sprites are more realistic and more emotional.example,when sirius says "i hate my life" (as seen above),her face,even her eyes show that emotion of hate (even if it's not exactly hate,but you get the point).the original didn't give that feeling so much.so bottom line is,your art isn't horrible beside the old art,it's better.so don't feel bummed about it,cause there ain't nothing to be bummed about ^^
Yeah, many did say my control over expressions in sprites improved over the past year. Since this is a dystopian environment where emotions and feelings are held back though -- I think the blandness of Sirius' face and its desperate attempt to make some face matching her feelings is good :P
Blane Doyle wrote:WHOA STOP WAIT WHAT...

I am not usually the kind of person to take a look at remake projects, but I decided to take a peak in here and I need to ask... is the artist, you I am assuming from the opening post of course, working on the sprites for the remake the same one who did the art in the original version? Because wow, I am extremely approving of this new art.
Yeah, I was the one that did the spritework then and now. Some sprites were colored by Tag- (although only one publicly shown screenshot shows her color work), but aside from that I did all the work in the sprites.

The only artist so far contributing now is OhMhaiGosh for the CG sketches. Not yet sure if I should make her draw sprite sketches because so far the sprites are my only contribution, art-wise.

Thank you so much that you like it. :) It makes me feel nice that this remake isn't for nothing.
---

UPDATE/QUESTION: I was thinking of getting rid of the side sprite and just make Sirius' sprite match the others. Thinking about it, it really won't look as if two people are talking if they're both, like, staring at the screen. XD Any suggestions?

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Blane Doyle »

I love side sprites, but I am perfectly alright with the idea of swapping it out for a normal one. I always view side sprites as the player getting a peak at the main character from the viewpoint of the other ones if there is not one for everybody, and we're looking through the perspective of the side sprite. Normal sprites seem like we're looking at both characters, more like watching a movie.

... well that was a long answer for "I am ok with whatever you chose".

Your new art is "oh yes please" by the way. I cannot think of any other way to describe the transition.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#21 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much! :3 I still don't know if I should stick with the side sprites, or if I should make the resolution widescreen (perhaps I should just make two versions, both with different resolutions?). But for now:
The game interface, if ever the idea of the "normal sprites for all" continues.
The game interface, if ever the idea of the "normal sprites for all" continues.
Save/load screen.
Save/load screen.
Preference screen. This looks a bit messy, any tips?
Preference screen. This looks a bit messy, any tips?
120.jpg
Some concepts for the GUI. Good lord my handwritingI don't really make GUIs, but what I had in mind is soemthing close to the GUI of Juniper's Knot, if anyone knows that. The theme colors will be white, black, grey and a light violet.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Blane Doyle »

I love the idea of wide screen, side images or not. It always allows you to play with the space a bit more than you would be able to otherwise, plus characters get elbow room and the scenery gets more detail.

This rough idea of a GUI looks nice to me. Simple and to the point.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#23 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Simple and to the point, eh?
121.jpg
122.jpg
I don't know if this is simple and "to the point". XD

But then, at least the results were satisfactory. I don't know if it matches the theme, with the ink splotches and all, but then... ^^; I decided to stick to widescreen, so this will undergo modifications. I'd be sticking to 1280x720. The other widescreen windows looks too small for me T_T

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#24 Post by mugenjohncel »

Whoops!... I accidentally posted an image and leaked some WIP BG's :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears and hides)
Attachments
teaser.jpg

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#25 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Now everyone can see what sort of BGs we'll have for the remake! :D I (might) filter them to make them look handpainted, but it depends on the end result~ I trust Mugen-san on this job anyway~

And to keep everyone entertained while I work on GUI and sprites, here's the new base-colored Cetus and Sirius sprites!
ImageImage
No, Sirius is NOT taller than Cetus. I shall resize later so that Cetus will look taller. (Actually she's the tallest out of the three. Sirius is the shortest... XD)

The original design doesn't really look like home clothes, ahahaha. XD At the back, the shirt is tied with strings so it looks like a hospital gown overall. I was thinking of putting their prison numbers in there so that they would look more like prisoners.

I'll try to finish the lineart (or the sketches at least) this week of all the characters needing sprites (even the minor ones, so that there would be no intense art clash like last time).

Once the CG sketches production is finished, the script is (self-)edited, and the sprites are done, I'll make a new thread in the WIPs. :3

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Blane Doyle »

Yeah, it's less simple and to the point in execution. XD

I told you what I thought about it in the GUI thread without realizing you uploaded images here, but I still like it.

I like the idea of filtering to make them look hand painted. If you decide to do that, I think it would look interesting.

I am enjoying the sprites as well! The art looks very very nice for this remake, and I love how you make the eyes look in comparison to the monochrome of the bodies and clothes. I definitely get a distinct prison or hospital (a very strict hospital) or lab vibe from these designs.

I'm looking forward to seeing where all of this goes! Good luck!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#27 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much for your support, Blane! :)

And finally, I'm done with the base-colors for Dana's sprite.

Gah, the patches and the medals and the general stuff took a while. But the results are satisfactory :)
Now onto the side characters's sprites~

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Blane Doyle »

Dana's sprite looks great... but I am afraid I have to bring up something about one important part of her design. (I'm so sorry, I am nitpicking!)

It's the way the gun is depicted that I am having trouble with.

The way her gun is holstered is not safe... in general. Facing the front makes it much easier for someone to rush at her and grab it, and if that someone is angry and does not like her or others around them, or just wants to cause a riot or destruction... that could end badly. Having the gun facing back in a non-concealed waist holster makes the situation safer for both the person with the gun and those around them.

And, unless she is left handed, having it on her right side and facing that way would make it much harder/slower for her to pull it. If she is left handed, it would still be better for her to have said holster on her left side.

The holster itself could be fine. It's a bit simple, but other than adding a strap going over the gun I think it is passable for a story like this.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#29 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

No, it's all right! XD I'm actually having trouble on thinking up on how her gun should be holstered. The original sketch had a strap over it, but then the strap looked like it can easily slide off...

So what you suggest is that I put it in the other side then put a strap, then turn it the other way? Well, Dana IS left-handed...

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Blane Doyle »

I've seen police holsters that have a strap over top with a snap button (I love high school sometimes). It's tight when it is closed, keeping the gun secure, but easy for the officer to undo (to the point where the ones I saw would undo themselves if they pulled the gun hard enough, but they had to pull it HARD. A small tug wouldn't get them the gun).

Switching sides and turning it around makes sense to me since she is left handed (I had no idea I guessed that right). The only holsters I have seen on the right side for left handed officers are shoulder holsters (or obvious reasons).

I am no expert, I am making these suggestions based on a career day fair in high school, what I see in photos, and family members that were in the force. XD