Soul and Heart: Replay [Mystery & Dystopia] - DEMO 0.5

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Soul and Heart: Replay [Mystery & Dystopia] - DEMO 0.5

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

---

This is the remake of Soul and Heart, a KN I released more than a year ago. It's okay if you haven't read that yet. =)

---

Download Demo 0.5 HERE
Scroll down for the link.

They say that everything becomes more hopeful when it is not supposed to be.
Would it be the same in our rotten nation?

Ten years before, there was a war between the government and the people of the nation called the Crusade. With the scientific and technological developments of the country, it launches a propaganda to rid the nation of their religious and "pathetic" beliefs on spiritual deities. But mostly of the minor provinces, who clings to this part of their culture to live in peace, were enraged with this decision, and so the bloodshed started to rid the nation of such "heartless" people.

One of the most important military families of Exousia held the most information that keeps the propaganda alive, and with the war brewing, they had a lot of pursuers behind their tails. But one day, they were cornered in the records library, the room that held everyone's intellectual, physical, and emotional information, which was made for medical purposes. In an attempt to turn the room to a sanctuary, the youngest member of the family modified information in the library. She was successful, but it brought on an unpleasant aftermath.

To avoid such things to occur again, the nation decided to keep everyone back in line by implementing a strict policy against memories and emotions, and with their scientific advances, it wasn't hard to do. Changes like yearly memory erasure and microchip implant for information gathering became common, and genetic enhancements became a trend. The results seem satisfactory at first, but then it started spawning "irregularities" among the populace, usually psychological deficiencies that were a lot worse than what they tried to avoid.

Sirius was among those irregularities.

-

Bearing no memories of her past or her family after all those years, which is common after all those changes, she realized she was different when it all started going back to her in short, choppy visions despite the yearly memory erasures. At first she considers these mere products of imagination, but when curiosity and her desire to know the truth got the better of her, she snuck in the records library to see if they were all true.

That deed was considered information theft, and so she was dragged to jail as soon as the police got their hands on her. After a year of her stay in the prison, she got transferred to a different cell as part of a routine. When she started meeting people she wasn't expecting to meet -- a fellow convict with a strange case and the daughter of the head general among other people -- she realizes that the transfer might actually make things either better or worse for her, for the past seems to creep into the present in a way she didn't like.

-

My draft says this will have 4 paths and 10+ endings. So far.
Cetus and Dana will have their respective paths, and there will be a true path (which is the events closest to the original S&H). There's also the solo path where you solve everything without having an accomplice or someone to help you. Sgt. Calypso appears somewhere in the later half so she really can't have a path, as much as I want it like that. This is still tentative so any number of paths or endings can still change.

-

Characters

Sirius
The protagonist. She is a very formal person with a sarcastic streak, but since she was imprisoned for long with no rule of formality, she had developed a quite rebellious attitude, using it all the while to the warden, the guards, or to any official she meets. because of the "abnormality" she haves, with seeing strange visions everytime, she seem more mature than her age, regarding Cetus with utmost respect and ignoring Dana's harsh demeanor.

Cetus
The convict Sirius met in the transfer. To Sirius, she was brash, noisy and unruly, which makes it harder to tell that she was in fact a former female after her sentence for the violation of the PAGI's Civilized Marital Act; although her femininity still shows in the form of small gestures. She likes playing "word games" and fooling around when she's bored, laughing all the while to silly jokes and events. Dana and her seem to have resorted hating each other the first time they have seen each other, although is that really the first time?

Gen. Dana Blackstar
The general's daughter and the replacement of the murdered lower head general. She holds a cold exterior towards almost anyone except her father, but when the right strings are pulled, she opens up quite easily. Being a council member, she was allowed to express feelings openly, which makes her look quite strange. Despite her gentleness to Sirius, she seems to consider all convicts with the same level of hatred -- probably more for Cetus.

Sgt. Calypso
A sergeant who seem to "share a history" with Dana. No one knows much about her, except that she was rumored to have "swam" her way into the military by blackmailing the head general, so her reputation didn't seem that all pleasing. She prefers to be called as "Calypso" than her real name, which only a few people know.

Lt. Maria dela Cruz
Dana's close friend, a person of faith and an administrative programmer of the PAGI; a person who claims have gotten only to the military due to a stroke of luck. She's snarky at Dana and to everyone else, and doesn't like making the wrong impression. She seems to know more about what is going on between Cetus and Dana than anyone else...
---

Credits (so far)

Lumen_Astrum (yes, I'm crediting myself)
Main artist, coder, writer

funnyguts
Co-Writing

septemberepisode
CG Art (sketches)

Shalambay-Shift, Tag-, mirelle
CG Art (lineart, color-block)

eyesonthestar
Main menu art

Auro-Cyanide
Logo art

mugenjohncel
Background Art

Coren Baili
Composer

SaReGaMa, Stefano Mocini, SENTIVE, MaestroRage
Music Sources
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:00 am, edited 18 times in total.

whitenenesha
Regular
Projects: White Days / Fragile Hearts

Re: Soul and Heart: Replay [S&H REMAKE][Mystery|Dystopia|KN]

#2 Post by whitenenesha »

A remake, I see. I'm really looking forward to this, especially that you mention that this will show 'some ommited scene', that got me excited to see more. I want more Milicent with Sirius scene somehow LOL

I will be happy if you explain more about the military background, too. and FYI, PAGI in my language means 'morning'
"Just a lonely story writer."

Fanfiction.net / deviantArt / Twitter
Projects: White Days [KN], Fragile Hearts[VN]

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much! :3 I'm double-analyzing the script so that I don't end up with a big plot hole when I add more details, orz. Your wish is under processing.

Latest Lint check:

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 1,361 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 15,609 words,
for an average of 11.5 words per screen.
The game contains 2 menus.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Okay, double-post. Sorry, guys! >_< I was working on editing the script and checking it for plot holes. So far:

Statistics:

The game contains 1,392 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 16,154 words,
for an average of 11.6 words per screen.
I just realized how awful the name "Daena" sound, even though it will probably just have the same pronunciation as "Dana". So yes, "Daena" will now be "Dana" from this point on, and she'd be called that way in Withering Blossoms as well. It is a common name, yeah, but here names depend on the character's cultural background, sooo...

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Finished the script! Lint check:

Statistics:

The game contains 1,562 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 18,405 words,
for an average of 11.8 words per screen.
I'll be posting it in the... erm, "sure-to-finish" WIPs once I get a sample of the CGs from Mhai-san :D I only sent the... "base" script to the CG artist, so I'll make the parts more detailed and it will probably get a little longer and hit my 20k mark~

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#6 Post by Tag- »

18000+ words, that's an incredible effort~ I really enjoyed S&H, so I'm looking forward to the remake.

Seems like the art will get an upgrade too :wink:
PM me if needed

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#7 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Yeah, since we'll have OhMhaiGosh and no-bunnies on board :)
I'll also use a similar style that I'm using on Withering Blossoms for the sprites~

Good lord I have to cram like 1/4 of the script in a single night

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Sprite sketches for Sirius and Cetus:

Image Image

Decided to try out a new, overly-cute style, hurr. I wanted it to match a little with the sketch artist's...

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#9 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Updated the first post with the CG samples. :3 I knew changing my style for the game is a right thing to do, see it doesn't clash that much

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#10 Post by mugenjohncel »

I am sooooooooooooo looking forward to the day when she opens the contents of that CDR-King USB and reveal the horrible truth about her past... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Hides)

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#11 Post by Daistarir »

The sketch is so cutexD Looking forward to (re)play thr game xD

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#12 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

mugenjohncel wrote:I am sooooooooooooo looking forward to the day when she opens the contents of that CDR-King USB and reveal the horrible truth about her past... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Hides)
No, Mugen. Just no. XD
Daistarir wrote:The sketch is so cutexD Looking forward to (re)play thr game xD
Thank you! ;)

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#13 Post by WickedRaccoon »

oh my,a remake?that's great.and the new sprites are superrr cute!!! ^^

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#14 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much! :'D
Since I am ditching reviewing for exam anyway, let me show some sneak peak thingie of the sketches the CG sketch artist passed me (from the prologue and some scenes from the first part so it ain't that spoiler-ish):

I like how OhMhaiGosh makes an effort to make Cetus look more manly. XD
The last three CGs? I won't tell anything about them, sorry :P

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#15 Post by WickedRaccoon »

wahhh,when i compare the sketches from the original and the remake,the difference is amazing.they look more professional,and they give me a bigger mystery feeling that before.though../the bad thing about it is...i become less patient to play it ಥ_ಥ