[UPDATE: 22/9] PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery/Thriller][Death]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Hiddlestoners
Regular
Completed: Thinking Of You [KN]
Projects: PERPLEXITY [Mystery VN], simplicity [KN,Fluff,GxB,BxG]

[UPDATE: 22/9] PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery/Thriller][Death]

#1 Post by Hiddlestoners »

This is going here even though I have quite a bit done because of real life and /gasp/ last year before University! However, I would like to know what people's opinions on this is about and stuff so I'm posting this :')
Title:
PERPLEXITY
This is part of a series of games.
Story:
People have always been disappearing, never to be seen again.
Most people assume that they've died and carry on with their lives, but what if the missing people aren't actually dead?
What if they're just...gone?
Gameplay:
One evening you awake in your school infirmary, not knowing how you got there. Other people are present as well and they explain that there is no escape.
Join them into discovering where you are and hunt for clues.
Why exactly are you there?
How did you get there?
Who brought you there?
And is everything before you exactly what it seems like? How exactly can you trust everyone else when they all seem to have things to hide?
Characters:
Mari (Default)
The MC of the game. A bit weak and dependent on people who treat her nice and slightly weak-willed. However, she is good-natured all-round.
Katsuro
A bit cocky and slightly arrogant. He is a schoolmate of the MC, though she's never seen him before. He is annoyed at the MC at first when she first awakes, but as they delve deeper into the mystery he becomes warmer to her.
Junpei
The oldest of the six, so naturally takes charge. He's close to Yukiko and treats everyone like a younger sibling. Pretty serious most of the time, but tries his best to lighten the mood when things take a turn for worse.
Yukiko
Youngest of the six and hovers around Junpei the majority of the time. She is a cheerful girl, but when her mood changes it changes hugely.
Natsu
A tall, quiet young man who meekly follows the decisions of others. Is in a relationship with Chihiro. Similar to the MC in many ways, but not as strong overall.
Chihiro
A young girl who is quiet and gentle. However, when things start to go wrong her willpower rises and she starts to get stronger.

And...some other side characters yush.
Screenshots:
Ack Photobucket mixed them all up so they're no longer in order! orz
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
----------------------------------------------
Story: 100%
Coding: 25%
Ending 1: COMPLETE.
Ending 2: 10%
Ending 3: 0%
Sprites: 100% (Tokuyada)
BGs: 100% (http://k-after.at.webry.info)
Music & SFX: 0%
CGs: 0% Needing a CG artist yush.
----------------------------------------------
Question Time!
Hi I'm Hiddlestoner (call me Hiddles yush) and this is my first game. I know it's a bit big but I've got the nitty gritty bits out of the way already so I'm all good :)
What I really want to know from you guys is this:
What do you think of the premise?
Would you guys like a demo of what I have done so far? (I have about a route to a bad end done and dusted. Just to see what you think of my writing style etc.)
What do you guys think of a really really cliched cliffhanger ending? Would you kill me? Really? D;

And...yush. I think that's about it. So yush...please answer the questions and tell me what you think! :3 o/
Last edited by Hiddlestoners on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

Re: PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery]

#2 Post by Nellie »

I always do have a soft spot for mystery/survival VN :3

What do you guys think of a really really cliched cliffhanger ending? Would you kill me? Really? D;
Yes I would!!!Nah, I'll just wait till the rest of the chapters are released to play it :3

Hiddlestoners
Regular

Re: PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery]

#3 Post by Hiddlestoners »

Nellie wrote:I always do have a soft spot for mystery/survival VN :3

Yes I would!!!Nah, I'll just wait till the rest of the chapters are released to play it :3
Haha thanks Nellie :)

Here's an update yush!
Statistics:

The game contains 228 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 2,937 words,
for an average of 12.9 words per screen.
The game contains 4 menus.
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

Re: [UPDATE: 9/9] PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery/Thriller][Death]

#4 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Very interesting indeed. Maybe I should keep a close eye on this thread.
If this is the first game of a series, then a cliffhanger ending might be unavoidable. I can bare with it though. Eidos has already killed my impatience.

Hiddlestoners
Regular

Re: [UPDATE: 9/9] PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery/Thriller][Death]

#5 Post by Hiddlestoners »

Kuroneko_rg wrote:Very interesting indeed. Maybe I should keep a close eye on this thread.
If this is the first game of a series, then a cliffhanger ending might be unavoidable. I can bare with it though. Eidos has already killed my impatience.
Oh good. Cliffhanger ending it is then! I'll give you the cheesiest one ever, I swear. /shot

On a plus note, update! I've finished one of the three endings available (2 bad, 1 good).
Statistics:

The game contains 280 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 3,706 words,
for an average of 13.2 words per screen.
The game contains 5 menus.
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

Hiddlestoners
Regular

Re: [UPDATE: 12/9] PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery/Thriller][Death]

#6 Post by Hiddlestoners »

Uploaded some screenshots of the game so far :3
Also, update:
Statistics:

The game contains 308 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 4,062 words,
for an average of 13.2 words per screen.
The game contains 6 menus.
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

ixWishing
Veteran

#7 Post by ixWishing »

Ohhhhhhh.
This seem interesting!
I haven't looked at any Mystery VNs for a bit.

Hmm. So this is part of a series? ;o
I'm fairly interested now!
Will there be any romance in the future? LOL. I just had to ask.
./Orz
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#8 Post by Blane Doyle »

OK, first, your name and avatar are perfect. Just sayin.

Now, as for your questions:

It sounds simple, with a bit of a hint to something more than that. I like these sorts of "locked in and no way out" stories, so it seems up my alley. Besides, I always like a mystery.
Would you guys like a demo of what I have done so far? (I have about a route to a bad end done and dusted. Just to see what you think of my writing style etc.)
Sure, why not?
... No please? Well, I would prefer something of an "open, but not quite unresolved" sort of ending. The kind where it COULD be left where it is but there is more than enough room to slip in a sequel.

Hiddlestoners
Regular

#9 Post by Hiddlestoners »

ixWishing wrote:Ohhhhhhh.
This seem interesting!
I haven't looked at any Mystery VNs for a bit.

Hmm. So this is part of a series? ;o
I'm fairly interested now!
Will there be any romance in the future? LOL. I just had to ask.
./Orz
Thanks :) Er...I haven't thought that far yet but I am working out a strictly romancing otome game as well as this so maybe you could pounce on that for romance when I get enough done to post a WIP? xD
Blane Doyle wrote:OK, first, your name and avatar are perfect. Just sayin.
Why thank you :D
Blane Doyle wrote:Now, as for your questions:

It sounds simple, with a bit of a hint to something more than that. I like these sorts of "locked in and no way out" stories, so it seems up my alley. Besides, I always like a mystery.
Sure, why not?
... No please? Well, I would prefer something of an "open, but not quite unresolved" sort of ending. The kind where it COULD be left where it is but there is more than enough room to slip in a sequel.
Hmm...unresolved ending...I guess I'll look into how to make cliched cliffhanging endings into a nice, unresolved one where I leave people wanting more xD Thanks for the answering!

EDIT:
To take my minds off things as well I've started the sequel MYSTIFICATION - it's going to revolve more around the mystery rather than actual escaping and the characters in it will be different, though it is still linked to the ones here! My explaining sucks...just wait for the WIP page.
Also, working on a romance game called 'ardour'. It hasn't got a WIP page yet but if you want romance I will tell you now - you won't get much in this series. :)
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

Hiddlestoners
Regular

#10 Post by Hiddlestoners »

Bit of writing yush...
j "Well, {w=.1}it looks like you'll be of some use then."
m "Pardon?"
j "This is your school isn't it? {w=.1}In which case you'll know your way around."
m "I don't understand..."
j "Listen [player]. {w=.1}We've all woken up in this school separately and wandered around. {w=.1}All we can remember is that we encountered some figure last night and we don't know how we got here at all. {w=.1}All of us have tried to find a means of escape, {w=.1}but everything has been securely shut and locked away."
j "Windows are locked, {w=.1}doors are shut tightly and even the smallest toilet windows don't open."
j "Now, {w=.1}we don't know why we were all brought here, {w=.1}but I assume that someone has something planned for us."
j "And if that is the case, {w=.1}then I sure as hell won't comply without being fully informed and without some answers."
m "..."
j "So, {w=.1}apart from us, {w=.1}there's Katsuro who you've already met and two others. {w=.1}That's a total of six people altogether."
j "I don't know if that'll bear some sort of significance, {w=.1}but we have literally no idea what's going on at all."
j "Therefore, {w=.1}we've been looking for some sort of clue or answer."
m "...{w=.1}how long have I been out?"
j "Well, {w=.1}we found you in one of the hallways and brought you here. {w=.1}That was about three hours ago."
m "I see...{w=.1}so what's the plan?"
j "You're just going to trust everything I've said?"
m "Well, {w=.1}everything you've said so far seems to make sense - {w=.1}I too vaguely remember a strange figure and that's about it."
m "And besides, {w=.1}it's best to stick in groups and you don't seem like the type of people to distrust since you all brought me here."
"Junpei stood gaping for a while before a smile broke across his face."
j "Aha that's some mighty fine words. {w=.1}Seems like we'll get along perfectly fine!"
"He turned to Yukiko, {w=.1}who hadn't said a word since they had started discussing why [player] was here."
j "Yukiko, {w=.1}could you get the others in here? {w=.1}I'd like to introduce them to [player]."
"The little girl nodded and went out, {w=.1}gingerly closing the door behind her."
/sneaks away...
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

Re: [UPDATE: 22/9] PERPLEXITY [VN][Mystery/Thriller][Death]

#11 Post by WickedRaccoon »

ok after wondering why i did not see this sooner,i believe it's time for me to comment.so:
it's interesting.mystery/survival games are one of my favorite kind of VN's to play ^^
Would you guys like a demo of what I have done so far?
it depends.if you like to release a demo,then yeah,sure.but if releasing one is too pressuring,then i prefer waiting for the full release :D
haha,well no,ain't nobody got time to kill XD i second what Blane Doyle said with the unresolved ending ^^
will be stalking this *hides in a closet* good luck with the game!!! :D :D :D

Hiddlestoners
Regular

#12 Post by Hiddlestoners »

WickedRaccoon wrote:ok after wondering why i did not see this sooner,i believe it's time for me to comment.so:
it's interesting.mystery/survival games are one of my favorite kind of VN's to play ^^
Would you guys like a demo of what I have done so far?
it depends.if you like to release a demo,then yeah,sure.but if releasing one is too pressuring,then i prefer waiting for the full release :D
haha,well no,ain't nobody got time to kill XD i second what Blane Doyle said with the unresolved ending ^^
will be stalking this *hides in a closet* good luck with the game!!! :D :D :D
Owow thanks for bringing this back up after so long xD

I am still working on this - progress is slightly slow that's all. I'm trying to figure out how I want to link everything together with the sequel of the game and how I should end the game officially without cliffhangering you all to death xD
ENOSHIMA BOWL!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#13 Post by azureXtwilight »

And why do I just realized this existed anyway? *stalks*

I'd say go with what you want to do, if you feel this is appropriate. After all, you're in control of your own story. The premise tells me that I'm gonna enjoy it no matter what :3

kittykatlover
Regular
Projects: Devil's Betrayal

#14 Post by kittykatlover »

Looks interesting. Will stalk this thread. :3
I don't particularly like mystery, but I love survival type games, and games that involve death! The premise is a bit common, I've heard it a lot, but still as interesting as ever for me. :3 Please release a demo~