New idea. New work. New shit just get in here.

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
devfag

New idea. New work. New shit just get in here.

#1 Post by devfag » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Web Developer fag here looking for some constructive feedback. Looking to create a new VN on-going series. I'm looking for writers and artists and possible voice actors. But before that, let's try and get this vague ass idea straight.

I was thinking an online-interactive VN. What I mean is basically a Visual novel but online..using javascript and Ajax techniques (no need to get technical.) it would work just like the average VN just without the download. The few reasons why i want to have it online is so that we can constantly provide updates and new content and so that the community can even provide their own content. Don't blow your shit yet, let me explain.

We allow users to post their own scenarios or short stories and our development team takes these ideas/drafts and we expand on them as a community using a poll/voting system and eventually add them into our main plot OR create multiple routes/path within the same world.

Now here's where we throw out random ideas..here's a few I have. Please note these are random ass ideas i threw together. We most likely won't be using much of them. I want this to be a community effort. Assuming anyone is even interested.

-Ability to create/select main antagonist? (female or male)
-Forever updating / expanding world?
-Minigames
-Voice Acting (This will be very fucking selective. America is known for fucking shit up.)
-Flash animation (More movement.)
-Death/bad routes?
-alternative worlds (Why stick with one? What if we want a fantasy world with the same girls?)
-20+ females to choose from? (less? more?)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: New idea. New work. New shit just get in here.

#2 Post by Victoria Jennings » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm

This... probably should go in Creator Discussion instead?

Also, I'd think that some people would probably like to have male romantic interests as well. U:

(also maybe all the swearing isn't necessary, kinda makes your post seem... angry)

devfag

#3 Post by devfag » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Could not be bothered to retype this, was copied and pasted from 4chan sorry for language. Can this be moved to the suggested forum please?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:14 pm

I've asked the original poster to change his username and edit his message to conform to the standards we expect of LSF users.

LSF isn't 4chan - 4chan has its culture, and we have ours. In the same way much of what we post here would be looked down upon at 4chan, we that people posting here conform to our standards.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
"Silly and fun things are important." - Elon Musk
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

This is an ambitious idea... good luck.

#5 Post by gekiganwing » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

This is an ambitious concept. Could it be done as freeware, or as an independent game? I don't know... Think about how easy or difficult it would be to program. Think about what programs and programming languages you would need to understand. If you have a vision of what your ideal game would be like, and you believe it could be created without too much frustration, then start creating it.

Sentou Gakuen is a free browser MMO that's also considered an online visual novel. It is likely different from what the game that you want to create, but it might provide a good example of what can be done.

Please be aware that ambitious games have a tendency to get stalled in the middle of development. Especially if you can not charge money for the final product. If you don't have a lot of time, passion, and dedication, then it's very common for development to be put on hold. Jobs, illness, stress, and life commitments get in the way. It's difficult to get a game or VN finished on one's own. Trying to get a team to work together can be even tougher.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#6 Post by FatUnicornGames » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah, this is incredibly ambitious. I am sure it COULD be done, but for a first effort you might want to consider doing something a little smaller in scale.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-