Visual Novel - Freeware
Rating: 17+ (for blood and violence, strong language, sexual situations)
I held off on posting this for as long as I could stand, but this is the revived project of what was formerly Starlit Dreams, for those of you who remember that from a while back. Same premise, same characters, but now with much more story and less "light-hearted" simulation
W.I.S.H is essentially a game about the consequences of relying on "miracles" and what happens when you try to screw with fate. It is centered around a fairly large cast of characters, getting to know them, seeing their relationships, and then witnessing the chain reaction that happens when something big upsets the balance of their fragile world.
Every character has their own story which intertwines with the other characters' stories, but it isn't clear just how much they affect each other until you look at the events which unfold from all sides.
In the year 2027, a string of mysterious murders sweeps through a busy city on the west coast;
Meanwhile, a detective and his brother seek out the organization who killed their sister years ago;
Two women are swept up in a horrifying event which will change their lives forever;
Three friends struggle desperately to find a cure for a deadly illness before it’s too late;
And a lone demon searches for the catalyst which began all of this madness…
In the middle of it all is Seiko (or Ein), a young wannabe inventor who has thus far lived life as if she were invisible. She can no longer remain a mere observer in the world, however, for after a chance encounter with an apparition who gives her the power to make wishes come true, Seiko is suddenly thrust into these people’s lives whether she wants it or not. She soon discovers that though she has the power to change fate, this power may come at a terrible price.
Ein Ross or Seiko Inumi (name changeable)
Main Character (MC)
- A wannabe inventor who moved to the city after a fire destroyed his/her “lab” (a.k.a. his/her parents’ basement). Somewhat eccentric, he/she likes to make grand schemes and jump into things without fully thinking through the consequences. He/she was bullied as a child for being “weird,” applying both to his/her personality and the fact that he/she can “see what others cannot,” namely supernatural phenomena.
Bridget Miller (BxG, GxG)
- The MC’s friend from high school and the one who suggested that the MC move to the city. She is often the voice of reason trying to keep the MC from doing anything stupid (though she doesn’t always succeed). She’s athletic, pretty, and popular with the guys, but has an inner geek that loves computers and electronics.
James Bryant (GxB, BxB)
- The MC’s neighbor and a paranormal investigator who becomes interested in the MC’s power to see spirits. Most people think he’s odd – first of all, for concerning himself with ghosts, and second, because he ignores most common social conventions because he thinks they’re pointless. He doesn’t concern himself with anything unnecessarily.
Anomen “Ani” Lector (GxB)
- James’ younger half-brother who lives with him due to financial issues (in other words, he spends all his money on booze). When he’s not working at the bar or running errands for his brother, Ani plays as a guitarist in a band. Generally funny, carefree, and flirtatious, and he follows a philosophy of living life in the present and not taking anything too seriously.
Marisela “Mari” Ramos (BxG)
(Self-proclaimed) Chief Financial Officer
- The only full-time employee at James’ investigation agency and the one who handles the business side of things. Spunky and optimistic, she believes that the best way to help others is to put a smile on their face. She’ll go to great lengths to find the best deals, whether that means searching for discounted clothing or bargaining favorable contracts with clients.
Cadee Ellis (BxG)
- Once a nationally-recognized scientist, now Caine’s middle-school biology teacher. She comes off as bitter and mean, but she secretly enjoys working with the students and tries her best to challenge them, even if it’s frustrating. A bit of a smartass who has no patience for people who don’t wish to learn and isn’t afraid to call people idiots to their face.
Leonardo “Leo” Taylor (GxB)
- Cadee’s younger cousin and a freshman in college studying mechanical engineering, though he can be more commonly found in his role as a sales clerk at the electronics store. Shy and a bit nervous around people, but very intelligent and good at his job. He admits to being an avid gamer, especially when it comes to science-fiction games.
Dr. Keiji Hara (GxB, BxB)
- Owner and lone doctor of a small clinic who seems to be acquainted with Cadee and Leo. While he acts friendly and personable to his patients, he generally doesn’t like talking outside of work and absolutely hates it when people waste his time. He tends to keep to himself and avoid others – not because he’s shy, but because he just doesn’t like dealing with them.
“Auki” Aukinora (BxG, GxG)
- A mysterious woman who often hangs out at the bar and soon reveals herself to be a demon (or a “devilish succubus,” as James calls her). Though a demon, she sees humans as “friends, not food” and doesn’t like other demons who only see humans as an energy source. As witty as she is beautiful, she loves to tease the other characters and seems to know more about their situations than even they do, the MC included.
Plot/Route Outline: Complete
Events Outline: ~20,000 words so far
-- James: 70% done
-- Ani: 35% done
-- Bridget: 20% done
-- Mari: 20% done
-- Leo: 20% done
-- Cadee: 20% done
-- Keiji: 20% done
-- Auki: 20% done
Character Sprites by y0do
Music by Starship Amazing (98%) and Kevin MacLeod (2%)
Writing, programming, and backgrounds by me
I hope to have a playable demo of sorts up fairly soon - basically as soon as I can write my currently outlined events into a Ren'py script and perhaps add a nice GUI. I guess I also need to wait until I get the art for my title screen... But seriously, once I have all that done, I'll post a demo of the first two weeks (out of about two months total for the game). The first couple of weeks are really introductory and are designed to give the player a chance to check out all the characters without committing to one, though it will also include each characters' first "plot event," which sets you on their route.
Anyway, the purpose of this thread is mainly to get feedback and suggestions, though I know that there's not a lot to go on at the moment. I'm perfectly happy to answer any questions you may have about the characters or the story, and I'll try to do so without revealing too many spoilers.
I know that I haven't exactly built a good reputation for myself for finishing games, BUT here's what makes this project different: 1) it's focused mainly on writing, and more importantly, the writing is broken up into short, individual events which plays to my strengths as a writer; 2) there aren't many gameplay components to worry about programming (I may add in some very simple business sim elements later on, but I'm going to develop the game without them first) ; 3) I have a personal cheerleader this time around who is doing a great job of keeping me on top of things. So, I feel that I'm very likely to finish this game. It may not be terribly soon, but I imagine it will be within a few months, assuming nothing comes up in RL to prevent me from working on it.
All that said, thank you for taking the time to look this over. C: