Fox Tails

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Magic Kitsune

Fox Tails

#1 Post by Magic Kitsune »

Incidentally, there's another game about kitsune around here with a similar name >.> <.< Totally different plot, though ^^; This game will be based on my webcomic Fox Tails (http://foxtails.comicgenesis.com/) Give it a read if you feel like it, though be forewarned that the quality of my art varies a bit...

It's not so much a 'dating' game, though the story does contain some romantic elements. It's very story and choice driven, and there aren't really any new or special features compared to other games (I'm completely new to coding). The plot itself if more of a timeline-unspecific sub-plot for my comic. While the game is intended for readers of my comic, I'm attempting to make it understandable and entertaining for even non-readers. There will also be an option at the beginning of the game to view a quick summary of the comic if you're unfamiliar with the story.

Plot: Keen Kotoru's first mistake was falling asleep in the car while the kitsune were driving. Naturally the foxes decided they'd rather drive out to the middle of nowhere in search of a hidden bath-house. Keen won't mind a short vacation, right? Right. The game focuses on the group's trip, with six endings that are determined by the player's decisions on the direction of the plot. The story is meant to add some depth to the characters and shed some light on Keen's relationship with each of the three kitsune. I hope the different storylines will be interesting and in some cases, comical.

Characters:

Keen: The 'hero' of the story. Keen is an 18-year-old human who mostly lived alone, until he found himself with a house full of foxes. He's a photographer, and can get a bit spacey when he daydreams. He has the ability to see past kitsune's shape-shifting, allowing him to see their tails even in human form. He's somewhat sheltered and naïve, and though he seems reluctant, he can't help but show kindness to anyone in need. Due to this, his efforts to help Miyo and Kaze, and a rumor gone wildly out of control, he's achieved almost celebrity status among local spirits.

Miyo: Once held the prestigious rank of a nine-tailed kitsune, only to be stripped of her powers and sealed away for unknown reasons. She was revived nearly 500 years later, only to find herself with two tails and little to no memory of her past. This has left her with a very childlike and air-headed personality, and has caused much trouble for her in the modern day world. Because of a freak-accident and a miscommunication, she believes Keen saved her life and is dedicated to repaying her debt to him. Meanwhile, Keen wishes to assist her in finding her lost tails, that are lying dormant. She's very grateful to Keen and loves being around him, but Kaze claims she wasn't always so pleasant to be around...

Kaze: A five-tailed kitsune that wears the guise of a very famous pop-singer, Kano Komoken. He loves attention and is a bit narcissistic. He claims to have known Miyo from long ago, and that she played a nasty trick on him. His immediate intent was on revenge, but was convinced to forgive her due to her circumstances. To appease Kaze's anger towards Miyo, Keen is enlisted to assist him. While Keen is unable to fully do what Kaze asks, he still manages to save Kaze's life and display very honorable traits in the process. Kaze is indebted to Keen for it, and wishes to serve him until it is repaid. He sparked the rumor that led to Keen's popularity in the spirit world.

Ayame: A six-tailed kitsune. Ayame is a nogitsune, a 'wild' fox that doesn't follow the usual kitsune 'honor code' of Inari, the rice deity. She's mostly self-centered and doesn't have much patience for anybody else. She is only willing to do things that are interesting or profitable to her. She recently took an interest in Keen's actions and invited herself to live with him. Because she is more powerful than both Miyo and Kaze, little can be done to stop her from doing what she likes. Not much is known about her. She is somehow in league with Dr. Shido.

Phobos: Prefers to be called 'Dr. Shido'. A strange, and slightly creepy, doctor who seems to know Miyo. Nobody really knows who or what he is, only that he's never up to any good. Seems charming and pleasant at first glance, but has no tolerance for insubordination.

Script: 25%
Characters: 90%
Backgrounds: 99% (I think I have all I need, but I'm not entirely sure)
Music: 0% (I'm searching for some, but ideally I'd have someone make me a few tracks instead...if anyone's interested)
CGs: 4/?

Main Menu, not yet customized.

Example of game play, I'm going to change the text box, though...

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#2 Post by Nafai »

Looks like an interesting Oh-My-Goddess type scenario. Nice clean and expressive art. Maybe I'll check out your webcomic too. Good luck with the game!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

Heh, a modern-era game on kitsune. Neat. I prefer them in their "historical" environment, but this could sure be fun.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Magic Kitsune

#4 Post by Magic Kitsune »

Nafai wrote:Looks like an interesting Oh-My-Goddess type scenario. Nice clean and expressive art. Maybe I'll check out your webcomic too. Good luck with the game!
Thank you x3 I'm working very hard on it~
Taleweaver wrote:Heh, a modern-era game on kitsune. Neat. I prefer them in their "historical" environment, but this could sure be fun.
ooh! You're the one doing that other game x3 I played the demo, I can't wait for the full version to come out. I've been told my story seems strange because it's contemporary ^^; I guess I'm just interested in how things like kitsune would adapt as their world changes.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#5 Post by dizzcity »

Ooh, I'm looking forward to this game now. Read through your entire Fox Tails comic and added it to my list of webcomics to read. :) Good luck with the game!

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#6 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Hey there. I read your webcomic and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to this game. :D Good luck with it! It'll be a great addition to your site. But hey...
Is Miyo going to have two or three tails in the game? Because hasn't she gotten one tail back?

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

Looks good! I'm looking forwards to playing it when it's done...just have one question...what's with the ranking of the Kitsune? (don't understand it)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Magic Kitsune

#8 Post by Magic Kitsune »

Waaah, I haven't been here in awhile >.<; But now that things have calmed down, I'm making more progress on the game. I decided to try something a little different with the story, so now it looks like the percentage of what I actually have done has gone down D: Oh well. This way, it'll be a much longer game~ I'm hoping for at least an hour per ending.

I actually predicted to have it done by now ._. Guess I over-estimated my work ethic.

Ah, so so sorry. Since I haven't been around, I didn't know people asked questions.
PrettySammy09 wrote:Hey there. I read your webcomic and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to this game. :D Good luck with it! It'll be a great addition to your site. But hey...
Is Miyo going to have two or three tails in the game? Because hasn't she gotten one tail back?
It's sort of a "Timeline? What timeline?" Thing. Ayame is present, but Miyo still only has two. Since it isn't canon, I guess I can do that >.> <.<

musical74 wrote:Looks good! I'm looking forwards to playing it when it's done...just have one question...what's with the ranking of the Kitsune? (don't understand it)
My kitsune gain a tail every hundred years or so. The more tails, the higher the 'rank'.

Wushu Mastermind

#9 Post by Wushu Mastermind »

Ohh! I love this comic! I'd love to play a game on it!

Baka Chikara
Regular
Projects: Chill, Addendum

#10 Post by Baka Chikara »

Wow, imagine my surprise when I saw a topic about a game with the same name as one of my favorite Webcomics. Imagine my new level of surprise when the game was actually by the CREATOR of that wecomic. Wow, what a shocker.

I've read everything on your site you have up to now. Interested in the non-canon approach you are taking with this game. I bet it'll be as good as your webcomic. And I know about overestimating work ethic. Do that to myself all the time. I'm actually really lazy, and then I try to set lofty goals for myself.

Just keep going. It'll finish itself eventually!
Red: Together...!!
Blue: ...we are...!!
Yellow: ...the Prism Rangers!!
[All three pose together. Lights flash in the background.]
Laharl: ...Please, someone normal come out.

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#11 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Could you please post a status check?

This does sound pretty nice.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

Magic Kitsune

#12 Post by Magic Kitsune »

Well, I've only made a little progress since I decided to change so many things so I had to back-track ^^; But things are moving faster now that I have most of it figured out. I'm just going to work on it as much as I can, 'cause now even I'm impatient to get it done o.<

Script: 30% (I've written a lot more, but since I decided to make it longer, I technically didn't make much progress)
Characters: 95% (Woo! Nearly done!)
Backgrounds: 99% (Still no sure)
Music: 0% (Still don't know what I'm gonna do XD;; )
CGs: 6/?

More gameplay:

A CG: