Hinomaru [GxB][Dating Sim] (WHOA THERE'S SOME SPRITES)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Lennonhead
Regular
Projects: "Hinomaru", "I'm Not His Friend"

Hinomaru [GxB][Dating Sim] (WHOA THERE'S SOME SPRITES)

#1 Post by Lennonhead »

INTRODUCTION
This is a completely independant visual novel made using the Ren'Py framework/programming language. Everything is and will be hand-drawn and inked by me and written by me, and this project will not utilise any free materials. VinnyVideo, who does not have an account on this forum, will be assisting me in composing the music, and perhaps some other things.

I want to make a Dating Sim that really defies the stereotypes that the genre is often thought of in. I felt that the heroine should not be a pushover, or just a way to put yourself into the game, for instance. Isn't the point of a Visual Novel to tell a story? I sure think so, and that is what I aim to do. Though it starts of a bit generic, the routes you can choose to go through are anything but, thanks to the odd personalities of the characters and strange events occuring.

The graphics are completely hand-drawn by yours truly, from sprites to backgrounds, and are almost totally in black-and-white with the occasional red for significant objects. I feel that the game should have a very unique visual style, so I did not try to tone down my style to be more "cute" or "attractive". Many have supported me in this decision, and were happy that the characters didn't look totally generic.

The most important part of a Visual Novel is the story, I believe! So let's get to it!

STORY

You play as Jun Ono, the daughter of a plain ol' salaryman and his stay-at-home wife. She lived in the Southern city of Osaka, Japan, for most of her life, and she was perfectly content to live in such a large, crowded, business-minded land. However, after some problems at work, her dad is forced to find a new job. With a lack of job offers in the area, he takes the best possible plan, but that means his family has to move to the Northern city of Sendai, smack-dab in the middle of an area full of hillbillies and rice farmers who had never seen a skyscraper in their life. Jun know the reputation well, and she is NOT happy about it.

On the first day at her new school, she run into a girl named Rin Tanaka. Or, she runs into Jun. She's the weird type, you know, the chick that snorts when she laughs. Apparently, she's blind to how much she annoys Jun, and becomes determined to help her find her way in a strange place. Jun really doesn't think she need help with that, as she's gotten along fine by herself before, but whatever.

Here starts the beginning of a long period of test-taking, hanging out with people who seem to be completely out of their minds, possibly encountering the supernatural, and general adventure... With some making out eventually, of course. Probably. Maybe. Okay, who knows.

CHARACTERS

JUN ONO (小野純)
Jun is the protagonist of this game. She is from Osaka, and moved to Sendai when her father found a job there. She’s not particularly impressed, at least at first. Jun can be a little harsh sometimes, but she’s a good person, really. She absolutely loves to play video games and watch TV, especially the series Kamen Rider.

RIN TANAKA (田中凛)
The first person to talk to Jun on her first day at her new school, they quickly become “friends”. Rin is cheerful, and sometimes annoying, but she is the type to always be there when someone needs her. She’s not really all that attentive. She enjoys watching TV dramas and talking.

MAKOTO SATO (佐藤誠)
The obligatory childhood friend. He didn’t keep in touch with Jun after his family moved, but they have met again at last. He’s shy, and a bit of a pushover. Much of his life revolves around food, and his dream is to be a professional chef. He likes to cosplay, too, and tries his best to be top-quality.

RYOICHI SASAKI (佐々木良一)
He’s popular. He’s smart. He’s got legions of fangirls following him in the hallway. He’s the class representative and bound to be Student Council President. He’s a decent person, but his fame has gotten to his head a little. Deep down, he’s just baffled by all the attention.

SHIN HEITAKU (平沢進)
Shin is the type to always try to be different. He doesn’t even read the kanji in his name correctly, just so he doesn’t reveal a semi-common name. He has a bit of a temper. He loves rock music, and got his hair dyed and permed to resemble Roger Daltrey, of The Who. He is set on making his after-school band club a success.

KATSUO ASAI (浅井勝雄)
Katsuo is a school politico, gunning for the Student Council President position that has been just out of his grasp for quite a while. He has incredible charisma, and he's very skilled with presentations. However, he’s kind of creepy, and up against a much more popular opponent, Ryoichi Sasaki.

KURO DATE (伊達九郎)
Katsuo's right-hand man. He acts as somewhat of a secretary, doing paperwork, designing pamphlets, and fielding questions directed towards Katsuo. Not that anyone would talk to Kuro on their own free will. He scares even the most hardened person, and he doesn't have a heart of gold under that personality either. He’s extremely smart, and can play shamisen well. Also, he’s in more extra-curricular activities than most, including fencing and flower arranging.

JUDAS MCCALMENT
Jude, of course, is not Japanese. He hails from England, and belongs to an upper-class family who hates him. They sent him to Japan as a foreign exchange student to get him off their hands. He seems confident, but he’s really quite timid and afraid of making a bad impression. His stereotypical qualities are deliberate on his part.

DAISUKE DAISEN (大山大輔)
Daisuke thinks he’s all that and a bag of chips, basically. He dresses as a stereotypical “bad boy”, complete with silly hair. In reality, he’s a cowardly weakling. He wants attention, and picks on others as an attempt to make himself look tough. He doesn't mean real harm, and would stop short of anything that would cause real pain.

RENSHU YINGHUO (熒惑忍恕)
He’s Chinese. He’s very intelligent, perhaps more so than Kuro, but nobody wants to admit it. He has an insufferable attitude, which doesn’t help. Renshu also has little social skills. He’s an awkward nerd, basically. Being in a foreign country where he’s constantly mocked for various reasons, fair and unfair, doesn’t particularly make him want to reach out to others, too. He’ll give just about anything a chance, though. He’s an extremely talented chess player.

LEN TAKEDA (武田蓮)
Very spacey and in his own little world. He doesn’t care much for other people, and tends to keep to himself. This is because he just doesn’t pay attention, not because he is antisocial. Of course, he daydreams a lot. He often keeps his eyes closed, and everybody just assumes he's sleeping. Len is quite passionate about keyboards, and he plays synth in Shin’s band.

CURRENTLY WORKING ON
-Sprites
-basic programming of calendar events

I have been working on this on-and-off for years. When I chose the age of the characters (16-17), it seemed so far away! Now look! I'm very happy that I feel safe to make a topic about this game now. I hope you are interested.

Thank you for reading!

I will answer any questions about it here. Please ask some, even if they are insignificant!
Last edited by Lennonhead on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Compulsive Liar
Regular
Projects: Sentimental Dreamers

Re: Hinomaru

#2 Post by Compulsive Liar »

Katsuo Asai is going to haunt my dreams tonight.

Also, this seems to be a bit past the ideas phase. See, here is a picture of the alpha version.

Lennonhead
Regular

#3 Post by Lennonhead »

It's all true. I lied, and the whole game will be in that art style.

Also, if Asai is creepy, then I have done my job.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#4 Post by leon »

I really like the art style. Kind of Reminds of the of the style of the movie Schindler's List (black and white with rare red details).
Compulsive Liar wrote: Also, this seems to be a bit past the ideas phase. See, here is a picture of the alpha version.
I don't think that's exactly... production quality; but I agree, this seems to be past idea stage. There are plenty of projects in WIP that have a lot less to show...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Please keep in mind that there is already an adult visual novel called Hinomaru. (A group called Tengu Translations has released a partial English patch for it.) You will probably benefit by choosing a different title.
Lennonhead wrote:I want to make a Dating Sim that really defies the stereotypes that the genre is often thought of in. I felt that the heroine should not be a pushover, or just a way to put yourself into the game, for instance. Isn't the point of a Visual Novel to tell a story?
A main character can be an interesting person with their own beliefs, motivations, talents, and so on. But keep in mind that there are a number of other valid options. For instance, there are stories in which the reader is not only encouraged to find the MC sympathetic, but in which the reader is supposed to imagine that he/she is the main character. In some cases, this can improve the immersion factor.
Lennonhead wrote:The graphics are completely hand-drawn by yours truly, from sprites to backgrounds, and are almost totally in black-and-white with the occasional red for significant objects. I feel that the game should have a very unique visual style, so I did not try to tone down my style to be more "cute" or "attractive". Many have supported me in this decision, and were happy that the characters didn't look totally generic.
Your art style is interesting, though I'm not sure how to describe it, or what I could compare it to. A couple of your characters' expressions remind me of the "rage comics" meme, but that's all I got. Using only black, white, and red does help your art stand out.

Keep in mind that I would hesitate to call any art style "generic." Partly because I don't have enough knowledge or criteria to judge a person's art, and partly because I can barely even draw.
Lennonhead wrote:Here starts the beginning of a long period of test-taking, hanging out with people who seem to be completely out of their minds, possibly encountering the supernatural, and general adventure... With some making out eventually, of course. Probably. Maybe. Okay, who knows.
Please let us know more about your plans. Can your VN be described with just one or two categories/genres? Will there be multiple endings? If it's not a kinetic novel, how often do you want to include decisions?

Also, you mentioned "basic programming of calendar events." Are you planning to include any complex gameplay?

Lennonhead
Regular

#6 Post by Lennonhead »

gekiganwing:

- I did not know! However, I can't think of another title. It's sort of important to the story in a way. As well, I have been planning this for some years now... And somehow, I don't think the two will be easily confused.
-Yes, I know. What I'm trying to go for is a protagonist that doesn't just simply represent the player. That is part of an attempt to make my game stand out from the crowd!
-Thank you. It's good that you can't find a comparison for my art style, hehehe. As for "generic", I wasn't really trying to be mean, I just meant the usual sorts of anime style tropes that you see a lot in VNs.
-It can be described as a Dating Sim... hahaha! I suppose it could be considered a comedy, but it does have serious parts for sure, and in some certain routes it may dip into horror of some kind... As for how it will be played, there will certainly be multiple endings, one for each dude and some extra if you meet/don't meet certain conditions. There are stats, which, for example, determine how well you do on a test.
-I don't think the gameplay will be too complex. It takes place during a school year, so events such as weekends and holidays need to be laid out, etc.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

Thanks for replying quickly, Lemonhead.

Will your VN include statistic-building and/or schedule management, as well as romance options? If so, then you can accurately describe it as a dating simulation. If you're creating a simple visual novel with a focus on romantic relationships, then you can use a term such as "romance game." If your VN is not mostly about love between fictional characters, then just call it a visual novel. I should have stated this clearly...

Are there specific concepts or tropes which you intend to avoid? Are there any which you intend to exaggerate, invert, parody, deconstruct, and so on? I'm referring indirectly to the "Playing with a Trope" namespace, which like the rest of TVTropes, is an addiction that will steal all your time :D

Lennonhead
Regular

#8 Post by Lennonhead »

No problem! I'm always here... Watching...

Yeah, there are stats and all that fun stuff, and you can pick routes along the way to get an ending where you end up with one of the lovely fellows above. A Dating Sim, I'm fairly sure!

I'm avoiding the "doormat protagonist" sort of thing as mentioned above, and I want to expand upon the usual ideas of what kinds of guys are available, "the childhood friend", "the smart guy with glasses", "the cool one", etc. are the sort of things I want to play around with.

The setting is a very standard Dating Sim one: transfer student arrives at Typical Japanese High-School. But I want the execution to be rather different from what you would expect from that description.

The game sort of has an overly dramatic presentation, but is mostly a comedy.

I'll try actually going to TV Tropes (I love that site) and actually figuring out which ones I'm using, deconstructing, etc.!

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#9 Post by Sapphi »

Lennonhead wrote: The game sort of has an overly dramatic presentation, but is mostly a comedy.
I am awaiting this with much interest.
The pictures of the characters are already making me laugh. For some reason I found Judas' description particularly amusing. The idea of a pair of snooty upper-crust parents deciding to give their innocent newborn baby the worst name they can think of, just because... :lol:
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#10 Post by Boniae »

Oh man, I'm in love with the art style!!! I like how you used the black, white, and red on the characters in their own different way. *drools* The way you described the characters and introduced the story are making me really interested now.

I'll be keeping an eye on this! :D

Lennonhead
Regular

#11 Post by Lennonhead »

Thank you kindly for your comments, everyone! I'm very excited to see interest!

I'll have to rewrite a lot of things due to oversights in my research, not to mention get the stuff I did do (mainly plain ol' programming) out of storage (my computer crashed a few summers ago, leaving me with only a few backed-up files, such as game-related things). How do I prove I'm working on it? I really think this is past the Ideas stage.

Here is some dialogue, from a date with Asai (not formatted or anything since I'm just idly typing in Notepad):

Code: Select all

ka "Lovely day, isn't it!"
jo "Er, yeah, it is."
ka "Hmm? Is there something wrong, Ms. Ono?"
jo "Yeah! Why is Date here?!"
ka "Oh, he has work to do and I need to keep an eye on him. Think nothing of it!"
jo "It's kind of hard to ignore him. I thought you wanted to meet with me alone."
ka "You can think of him as an extension of myself!"
jo "I'll pass... That's such a weird thing to say! I'll just get the brain bleach out now."
ka "It's okay! He won't say anything."
jo "I might as well have brought Rin along, then!"
ka "Yes, bring all your friends! We can have a party!"
ka "Hahahaha!"
jo "... Do you not understand what the word 'date' entails?"
jo "Hey! You! Aren't you bothered by this at all?"
kd "..."
jo "Silent treatment, eh?"
ka "I told you, he's working."
jo "Oh, forget about it!"
Also, some doodles:

Another top-secret development screenshot.

Basic relationship chart. I know I'm missing a few arrows, so don't take this ENTIRELY to heart!

A certain person has been drawing fan art for my game since last year (and I do not mean that in a sarcastic, "few days ago" sense), so I drew her favourite character, Daisuke.

Jun was designed to look like a sukeban, though she isn't one. These two make a good image together!

Pandora
Regular

#12 Post by Pandora »

I am definitely looking forward to this game! The drawing style is wonderful, and so expressive. It is very much your own!

Lennonhead
Regular

#13 Post by Lennonhead »

Thank you kindly! ^o^

Just a post to let you know that I am not dead.

Painting of Date and Asai.

I'm thinking that maybe flashbacks and stories being told that require images should be painted with watercolour like this, but I'm not sure.

Lennonhead
Regular

#14 Post by Lennonhead »

WHOA THERE

WHAT IS THAT OVER YONDER

WHY, THESE MAY BE SPRITES!

WOW!

... Sprites of minor characters. Hey! I was working on Jun, but just as I was touching it up, GIMP crashed. "Screw that," I said, and instead I touched up some super minor characters instead. I would not be sad upon the possible eve of their failure.

Hyouko Motoba in her summer uniform. If you pay her at lunch, she'll dish out some gossip.

Nobuyoshi Asai, Katsuo's father. He is an infantry officer in the Imperial Japanese Army. He's also sort of... Totally bonkers.

Katsuo's sister, Sakura Asai. She works at Osaki Hachiman-gu, a famous shrine in Sendai and a National Treasure. She's slightly more normal than the rest of her family, not that you see her much.

I don't know why I decided to draw that portion of the Asai clan.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Hinomaru [GxB][Dating Sim] (WHOA THERE'S SOME SPRITES)

#15 Post by chocojax »

I love the traditional-ink style you've got going on here! It fits the logo/setting very well. :P

Keepin' an eye on this.